Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

BANG USA sales?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 1, 2006 21:35

george licks may know....? on another web site it has bigger bang selling a 1,000,000. in the usa as of dec. 2005....is that true?
i didn't think it went over 500,000 yet..

Re: BANG USA sales?
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 1, 2006 22:04

I believe it has been certified platinum by the RIAA, which means 1 million units have been shipped to stores. The actual sales have been around 500,000 which would mean there are still around 500,000 CD's sitting on store shelves.

Date: February 1, 2006 22:17

THANKS!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 1, 2006 22:54

It's out of the top 200 this week, the total so far is 479,000 copies with 18 weeks on chart.

Date: February 1, 2006 22:59

hi george....with that said. if the stores are sitting on 500,000.which gives the stones selling a 1,000, ooo units....did the stores pay the record companies for the ones sitting on their shelves? the poor record store owners...it may take them a year to sell the remaining 500,000..

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 2, 2006 01:07

>>it may take them a year to sell the remaining 500,000..

It will take WAY more than a year to sell the remaining 500,000, it will NEVER reach the million mark IMO. B2B has sold a little more than 300,000 since it droped off the charts in April 1998.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 2, 2006 01:34

A kick-ass "Rough Justice" at the Superbowl should result in a sizeable sales bump, shouldn't it?

At least for a week or so.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: February 2, 2006 01:50

Yeah, the Super Bowl is going to kick it up. It's supposed to be watch by a billion people. Unless that billion people all take off during break time to take a leak.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: February 2, 2006 02:18

I believe the bulk of those remaining 500,000 copies would be sent back to the label as charge backs. Maybe a lot of those copies would then end up as cutouts.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: February 2, 2006 02:36

The European Tour and Tour of Australia and Japan will increase sales!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 2, 2006 03:44

its already sold pretty well in non-US markets, which makes its relatively slow sales in the US quite bizarre, considering theyve been touring there behind it for five months

Theoretically, the Superbowl should help sales in the US if they play a song from it (doubt it'll be Rough Justice and certainly NOT ONNYA, due to the lyrical content). They'll probably get away with playing Rain Fall Down though as 'wánkers' doesnt seem to be a strong swearword in the US, plus they might want to play it as its their current single - however it'll need to be a shitload better than the trainwreck version from the AMA show

Date: February 2, 2006 05:26

onnya has to be it..it really went over well on tour...and the stones will not play the entire song anyway....they will do about 4 short versions for their set..and i agree with you gazza, (its the law around here to agree with you) ha..
but can't get over that bang has sold so well all around the world but can't get over 500,000 in the states...a big tour, tv time....so i don't even think that the super bowl will really sell it...but i think all stones albums will see a big punch after the game... and at least bang should crack the 500,000 mark...gold in the states.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 2, 2006 06:09

Halup Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe the bulk of those remaining 500,000
> copies would be sent back to the label as charge
> backs. Maybe a lot of those copies would then end
> up as cutouts.

In a lot of cases, the artists can have a say on whether or not leftover product winds in the cutout bin.

Something tells me Mick wouldn't allow that to happen - it's basically a public adimttance that the record did not meet sales expectations and is a royal stinkah.

DISCLAIMER - I have only been to one show post-Fenway (which was before ABB even came out). However, from what I've read on boards and from what I saw at MSG, ABB hasn't been avaialable. If it is being sold - though all evidence points to no - please disregard the following and feel free to pile on accordingly.

Why the hell haven't they been selling ABB alongside all the t-shirts & posters? Obviously if everybody at the shows owned it already, we wouldn't be waiting for it to pass the 500,000 mark.

If someone's gonna fork out $35+ for a shirt, why not sell the album for $15 inc. tax? It's a nice round number, people will be all hopped up from the show and a few $7.50 beers . . . it's a no-brainer! Not to mention the fact that if they're shelling out on average $175 or so per ticket, they're probabably not too strapped for cash. And it's easy as hell to record the sales - I managed a band for three years and I know from personal experience that recording venue sales on Soundscan involves nothing more than 1 fax and 1 email per week. And I'm sure they have someone on their touring payroll who could be responsible for that.

My conservative estimate is that they could have sold 50,000 copies of ABB by doing this.

I've got a source on the periphery of the organization who basically said that the powers that be in the Stones camp don't really give a shit about selling records - it's all about the touring. I'll say. But Christ - ignoring the opportunity for venue sales is the closest thing you can do to literally GOING OUT OF YOUR WAY TO NOT SELL RECORDS. Especially given the state of radio & music video these days. I mean, why bother even playing songs from ABB? Why do the Superbowl - to remind people you're still alive?

End of rant.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: February 2, 2006 23:32

They should definitely sell ABB at shows. Get those buzzed impulse buyers. I bought Four Flicks at the concert. Probably would not have picked it up otherwise. Prince included his last album w/ price of admission and got himself a technical Platinum +.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 2, 2006 23:47

hot stuff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> onnya has to be it..it really went over well on
> tour...and the stones will not play the entire
> song anyway....they will do about 4 short versions
> for their set..and i agree with you gazza, (its
> the law around here to agree with you) ha..

LOL..cheeky swine smiling smiley

Great post by Juan

yeah, for all the great marketing skills the Stones management are credited with by some people, they really dropped the ball with this one. I remember when Prince's "Musicology" came out and everyone remarked what a great idea it was to include his new CD with the ticket price. Surprised an organisation normally as astute as the Stones' one when it comes to generating money didnt see an opportunity like this.

Thing is, the overheads of selling the album at shows or with ticket orders would be lessened because it would cost less to sell it at a show than it would in HMV or Tower..and $15 out of an average ticket price of $175 is a drop in the ocean - and by INSISTING people own the album to get into the show, you have a more captive audience when it comes to playing new songs as the people who bought the tickets would already own a copy.

If what you say is true, I find it unbelievable that of all the crap you can buy at a Rolling Stones concert that has their name and logo on it, the one thing you CANT buy...is a Rolling Stones album.

If that doesnt convince some folks that their music is a low priority these days compared to tacky, overpriced merchandise, then theres no hope for them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-02 23:48 by Gazza.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 3, 2006 00:07

Why is it so hard to understand?....the other 500.000 have downloaded the Bigger Bang Album and hundreds ofthousands fans as well all over the world...all of my firneds did it...the album is great and the stones make their money anyway don't they? poor guys 162 million last year.....

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: February 3, 2006 00:09

Here Here Gazza, well said. Quite sad when you view it from that perspective.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home