Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: 78-tour--really overrated
Posted by: dariog ()
Date: February 4, 2006 03:58

great pics chippy love them got to see the rest

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 4, 2006 04:01

I noticed just now that Keith plays the "skeleton"-guitar he used at Knebworth. I didn't think he used it after 76....

Date: February 4, 2006 04:15

i dont know how jagger did it with a bad flu he must have been killing him to sing that day.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: February 4, 2006 05:53

I really dug that tour--6 weeks,18 gigs,maybe $700US all told.

Here is what Buffalo looked like for me:

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 4, 2006 07:51

Bee-yoo-ti-ful. I love these pics. Thanks to everyone who posted them.

What's funny about this is that I saw the Stones in '81, BUT I get a bigger kick out of seeing the videos from '78. The edge is there, imperfections notwithstanding. All I can say is thank you for taking risks and playing new songs without any concern for preservation of "the legacy" or any of that sh*t. It was just fun and it was pure rock n roll.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 4, 2006 12:58

Big Al Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rubbish!
>
> In the musical world, the term "Garage bands"
> derives from bands that started out by rehearsing
> in their garage. That's an American concept that
> just didn't exist in the UK at the time. Primarily
> because most homes in the 1950's and 60's didn't
> have a garage.

My god, did you ever leave the barn you were born in? The term "garage music" is already known from the late 50's. The Big Bopper, Freddy Cannon and the like were already called "garage kids" as the all started playing in their dad's garage. The was an entire scene in Holland (and then of course in most other European countries as well I assume) starting in '64 of bands that rehearsed in garages and barns, and would also invite audience to the garage and did live shows. These bands were called garage bands back then already.

Mathijs

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: February 4, 2006 13:13

At the time, the outdoor 78 shows were a let down over the 75 indoor shows because:

1) No lotus stage and props, boring compared with 75
2) No Billy Preston who was a great entertainer
3) Set list was weak compared with 75. I guess it depends on whether you prefer SG over IORR. I don't.
4) Some shows were great, some were not. Too many drugs.
5) In 1978 as now, you cannot accurately judge a tour by the bootlegs.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: February 4, 2006 13:26

Too much drugs? Keith was still on heroin I know (although its supposed to be his cleanup tour), Mick on coke and ronnie too I guess or? What were the drugs of 1978?

Date: February 4, 2006 16:30

chippy who played after the stones at jfk that day i heard it was somebody but they had to clean up all the beer bottles up first before they went on.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 4, 2006 16:54

Truly, if you were there, speak out, but if you were not there....you can't really judge the shows by the reviews at the time. I read horrible reviews of the tour that got the correspondants from Rolling Stone thrown off the tour. I read these horrible reviews just after I saw them at the New Orleans Superdome. I couldn't believe it. The show I saw has not been topped...and I've seen them 18 times since. The interesting thing was the letters to the editor in the very next Rolling Stone contained people, like myself, disputing the reviews about the shows they saw in various cities. A great, great tour.

Date: February 4, 2006 17:06

how was the mrytel beach show anybody go any pics never seen any.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 4, 2006 17:18

Look, screw the reviews period. Who says the critics who pen the concerts or albums know much anyway? Remember Exile was given poor reviews by many critics when it was released and there I was thinking this is such a cool album. A double record by the Stones, a different mix compared with previous releaseds. So many great songs and well chosen track lists for each of the 4 sides. TD as the single was terrific. That's one example. Then there was the 1972 tour that was called by many critics a sell out by the Stones who had turned into a Vegas type act for big money! What were the ticket prices back then $6.50? Even on the 1969 US tour the underground press called the $4.00-4.50 prices a rip off and that the band was only in it for the money. Have we heard this before??? As for the 78 tour and Some Girls album release that year and the SNL performance and skits, I can only tell you it was heaven me. It an was exciting time to be a Stones fan. The boys were back and they were delivering. It was a big middle finger to the press who had written them off. I could ask for nothing more at that time from this band. They did it again in 1981 with Tattoo You and the Tours that followed. Anyway, all the evidence says 1978 was a great period in Stones history and the critics can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Posted by: tony ()
Date: February 4, 2006 18:21

E-mail sent to me from a non-registered fan: (see I'm not crazy)

Was looking through the posts and saw yours, but am
not roistered, so I'm writing directly to you.

I was 20 years old and working there as a security
guard. A bunch of friends and I used to work for a
local Baltimore area concert security company and we
would only work the concerts we wanted to see. This
was my first Stones show. We left Baltimore the night
before and drove up to Philly and had to sleep on the
infield of JFK...not much sleep though. There were
other security companies working from Baltimore,
Philly and other areas amounting to at least several
hundred security people for this show. I remember
going up to the top of the stadium late into that
night with a couple buddies and looking out over the
top and seeing what seemed to be thousands of people
into the horizons in all directions camping out in the
parking lot so that they could get a great seat in the
morning (it was general admission, I believe). In the
morning they sent us to various positions around the
stadium. Mine was watching one the many arched gates
that surrounded the stadium. I remember that after
the Stones played their first set of 5 songs, the head
security guy came by and opened up my gate to the
general public on the outside who had no tickets for
the show. They all were lucky and came into the show
for free (I was told that the Stones did this at every
show on that tour). I moved my position to the sound
mixing tower on the infield and had the best seats for
the remaining part of the show. The tower was on the
35 yard line and I was elevated above the crowd.

I remember the show being cut very short and the
Stones abruptly left the stage after only an hour or
so after starting. The crowd was screaming for an
encore and didn't realize the the Stone's had already
left the arena in their limousine. After a bit, the
crowd got extremely angry and started throwing
everything they could at the stage including glass
bottles. I was watching this from the tower and so I
had a perfect view and remember that all of the
equipment was getting destroyed and the security
guards who were in the pit between the crowd and the
stage got severely injured with broken glass. I saw
that they were bringing in ambulances to take many of
these security people away. It was really unreal and
I was glad they didn't put me in the pit.

Date: February 4, 2006 20:31

did somebody go on after the stones that day to calm the crowd down and how did everybody get glass in the stadium.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 4, 2006 20:36

Souldoggie you have that!!!!!!!!!Please share!!!!!

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: February 4, 2006 20:38

rooster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Souldoggie you have that!!!!!!!!!Please share!!!!!

the Rooster man crows at the break of dawn

Date: February 4, 2006 21:01

Yeah Leonard!Those JFK videos is so crazy!!!If they exist and if they do IWant them chickens comming back home to roost!!!!

Date: February 4, 2006 21:41

could you see watching some of the jfk show 93.000 people there i think its the third largest stones show every. it would be wild.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: February 4, 2006 21:49

dariog , after the stones ended their set & i would'nt say it was a shortened set they did the same # of songs in Buffalo except philly got satisfaction & buf got lies, i stood their 10 or 15 min. & watched the crowd throwin the bottles & stuff @ the stage & their equipment. That was a show in itself & the press said their equip. got ruined .Never heard of any other band playin after the stones , i doubt it . People were just gettin in with coolers full of beer ,that was pretty much the norm back then , the funny thing about this is the stones opened their 81 tour in the same barn after that train wrek , i think Jagger was the only 1 to show up in philly 4 the press conf. in 81, mayb the rest of them were worried somtin might happen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-04 21:56 by chippy.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: February 4, 2006 21:55

Chippy ..... i really like the "graininess" of your photos......pre-digital era photos........excellent, just like the old grainy 8mm film footage....thanks for sharing!!!

Date: February 4, 2006 21:58

hey chippy first off more great pics. anyway i love them. my uncle went to this show and he said it was really bad but you know i still love it he said there were a lot of fights in the parking lot you know i would of loved to go to this show but i was only 6 years old at the time was it 90.000 people or more . all them poeple it had to be hot that day.

Date: February 4, 2006 22:00

leonard it was a cheap camera & it had 2x zoom ,the cloudy day in philly hurt the quality alot , but ya, there still cool, im happy ya like um

Date: February 4, 2006 23:55

The pictures and reactions to this post are underated! the pics and stories are great!!!This tour was underated by RSmagazine...not by me...its the best!!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 5, 2006 00:13

Hats off to Chippy!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 5, 2006 00:49

Chippy, I must have been RIGHT BEHIND you in Philly. That looks like my perpective. That is amazing. What is so weird is that I do not rememebr the rain too much. It did start for a little but that was it.
There were four of us. Two guys and two girls. The girls hung in there well. But one of them was getting sick and claustrophobic at the very last minute. I knew I had to get her out. If you remembr it was so that if you left you would never ever get back in. I was going to give up my fort that I had held sionce the second the opened the gates. But I looked at the stage and Charlie came out and that was that!
Do you rememebr when they opned the gates in the morning? We had all been partying all night. There were thousands of us out there. Very rowdy! And they opened these two little peashooters of gates! Tiny little doors! My girlfirend almost got crushed in a bad way when we all rushed the gates.
Man, I remembr my first few Stonesgigs in Philly, NYC, Atlanta, New orleans in 78 and 81 were all battles. Now today it is very relaxing.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: February 5, 2006 02:56

3rd largest show for the stones i think right.

Date: February 5, 2006 05:19

chelsea drugstore . i was partying all nite 2 ,that was a wild 1, there was alot of people lookin 4 tics ,probly half of Manhattan ,ill guess they opened up those flood gates @ 11:00 a.m. heres my stubb which says startin time Noon

its really amazing how he did perform with 102 fever , the same goes with that show @ the Vet in 94 in the Cold pourin rain ,that show was incredible ,i hav some pro shot video with sound from that 1 ill post in the future,

I Dont Need No Doctor

Posted by: JoeHill ()
Date: February 5, 2006 07:11

Great post - keep it rolling!!

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: February 5, 2006 10:20

78 Sucked thats why the called the one album Sucking in the 70's LOL

I saw them in Cleveland and as many have noted in the past - it was a very dark day, tough crowd and no energy by the band. Just take a look at the picks in this list and then look at the 75 pics - clearly 75 kicked ass. Thought 81 at the Cleveland colosium was awesome! But then a few nights ago in Baltimore blew them all away!

Date: February 5, 2006 11:37

My conclusion is this tours this ''Some Girls''tour is not overrated but underrated!!!The press was beating them...on this board..the tour is very fav..I think If you look at the big crowd I know there are so many people who dont even know ,this tour took place!Its pretty unknown if you talk about it they think you talk about 81 or 75...so loved by the hardcore ..unknown and underrated by the rest.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home