Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Motley Crud
Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 31, 2006 23:31

Dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like nostalgia to me. Not that there is
> anything wrong with that, its been the driving
> force behind the concert industry for decades. And
> legacy is an arbitrary term that probably means
> little to anyone but ex presidents.

Maybe I'm not expressing myself well enough. Or maybe you can't distiguish between "art" and "artifact."

I don't think anyone in that bar was jumping up to "Brown Sugar" because it took them to 1971 or whenever. That record is not merely a piece of cultural product that acts as an emblem of a particular moment.

People jump to "Brown Sugar" because--yes, often they have long relationships going with the record--but mainly because it still works. It still has active and immediate meaning and force. Seventeen year-olds know that and they sure aren't nostalgic for whatever time period the record might evoke.

And if families and friends are drawn together to see the band in arenas and stadiums and if people still dance and hook up to Stones records every single night all over the world, if this music binds people togther...well, then the word "legacy" most certainly does apply. Not arbitrarily, but directly.

How many bands have sat around in garages--and in LearJets--during the last forty years and tried to figure out how to most closely approximate the Stones' music, style, attitude, business acumen, drug intake, nasty habits? And have made huge careers out of trying?

Oh yeah. The records themselves. A legacy, don't you think?

Cynicism is great. Just don't make it cheap.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: February 1, 2006 01:43

"At this point its absolutely impossible for the Stones to cheapen themselves. And this whole tour (and probably every tour since at least 1981) is all about scratching one big ass nostalgic itch"

i think you meant

At this point its absolutely impossible for Motley Crue to cheapen themselves. And this whole tour (and probably every tour since at least 1986) is all about scratching one big ass nostalgic itch.

bring back Trippe!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 1, 2006 01:51

Are we talking about the same band that shared a stage with Justin Timberlake? I think I said what I meant to say perfectly.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: February 1, 2006 01:54

andy js Wrote:
> >
> ">
> i really WANT the Crue to open in Barca now. two
> things will happen : they'll play to an empty
> stadium or one full of people rolling around on
> the pitch laughing their tits off at their
> cod-metal panto nonsense.
>

What fantasy do you crue-haters get this stuff from ? Do you honestly believe this is what goes on at a crue gig ? people rolling around laughing ?

And if so, which MC gigs did you attend where this occured ? Otherwise, it's just your fantasy and predjudice.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Date: February 1, 2006 01:59

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:
> Lucinda Williams--about whom I have plenty of
> reservations--should be warming up for the Stones.

I saw Lucinda warm up Neil Young. She's okay, wouldn't run to catch her next live concert, honestly.

>
> By what definition is Motley Crue a "major" band?

Whatever your opinion of MC, to deny that they are a major band, or to put them in the same "majorness" league as the Goo Goo Dolls is ridiculous.

> Or Bryan Adams? Or The Goo Goo Dolls?
>
> I think people get tripped up by commercial
> success as opposed to enduring quality. Does
> anyone ever listen to Grand Funk Railroad anymore?
> They used to sell tickets/records like
> crazy--probably outsold the Stones by a mile in
> their day. What about Peter Frampton?

Well the difference is the Crue is on a World Tour that's selling great everywhere they go.... one of the highest-grossing tours going right now. As opposed to GFR that's probably playing State Fairs and Harveys in Tahoe.

>
> Just because a lot of Gen X clowns (of which I am
> one) are having a little nostalgic itch for the
> goofy metal of early puberty doesn't mean that the
> Stones should cheapen themselves by letting Tommy
> and Vince anywhere near the tour.

Face it, the Crue is drawing people in huge numbers to their tour all around the world. Perhaps they're not your cup of tea but to compare them to nostalgia bands like Grand Funk Railroad (which just so we're on the same calendar) came out prolly 15 years BEFORE the Crue is ridiculous.

The average attendee at a Crue gig TODAY is from teens to late 30's, rockin' like crazy, all the front rows are crowd-surfing, etc. It's a "regular" rock concert, not a family show like the Stones who frankly are much closer to a nostalgia act than the Crue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-01 02:03 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 1, 2006 02:04

I'd have to say they are both quite obviously nostalgia tours, the only difference to me is that I would actually like the Stones to play new songs.

Date: February 1, 2006 02:05

Repeating a SIMPLE QUESTION for all you Crue Haters... Almost NONE of you have answered this:

Please name the bands that started out within the past 25 years, since say 81/82, that are still playing and touring that you like...

Most of you will reveal, by not answering with any bands, that you are MIRED in Classic Rock... nothing wrong with that, but the vast majority of Crue Haters listen just to the Stones, Dylan, Zeppelin, etc. etc.

You can't dismiss every band of the 1980's as "hair bands" or every band of the 90's as "grunge" but yet that's what you do.

And you refer to these bands concerts as "laughable" even though you've never attended one. It's just your ancient classic rock predjudice, not based on actually attending any gigs by these bands.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 1, 2006 02:08

humanriff77 Wrote:
> How can these hair metal dorks be the support for
> the European tour?, what a disgrace, I will
> consider boycotting the tour rather than pay money
> for those lowlife. The Stones have in recent years
> always had with a couple of exceptions terrible
> support bands, but this is a new low.
>
> Have you noticed as the Stones have got older the
> supports have got worse.
>
> 60's great - Chuck,Tina,Taj Mahal
>
> 70's/80's good - Thorogood,Iggy,Tosh
>
> Since then godawful shite, Sheryl Corw,Dave
> Mathews,Maroon Babbooon,Black breathe peas etc.
> urrrrrrrgggggggggghhhh.
>
> There are plenty of great bands who would love the
> gig, why not get the Beasts of Bourbon? They would
> nail it.

lol, classic stuff and all true , motley crue are trash,
girls girls girls, duh

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: February 1, 2006 02:12

Motley Crue and the Stones sounds like an excellent gig if you ask me. My cousin got me into the Crue way back in 1984 with Shout At The Devil. God bless his heart! lol Anyways, I'd love to see these 2 bands together! Hell, throw in AC/DC for good measure too! Actually, here's my 'dream gig' with the Stones as headliners:

The Rolling Stones
AC/DC
David Bowie
Aerosmith
Motley Crue
The Black Crowes
Oasis
and maybe even Macca...lol

Posted by: gut ()
Date: February 1, 2006 02:51

======And if so, which MC gigs did you attend where this occured ? Otherwise, it's just your fantasy and predjudice======

You could not PAY me to attend their concerts. I could care less what occurs at them and don't know.

ITS their shitty music and childish and immature attitudes that make me want to puke.

Anyway, Vince Neil should be in jail for manslaughter and drunken driving which paraylyzed a young woman. He's a piece of trash that should be flushed down the toilet.

Call it prejudice, I don't care. They SUCK.

Posted by: stoneskid169 ()
Date: February 1, 2006 03:02

The Stones pick acts who are hot, and like it or not, Crue is HUGE right now. To people who still think they are just some 80's pop rock act, listen to the second disk of their last cd (red white and crue). none of those songs sound 80's rock to me. and hey it could be worse. it could be Bon Jovi. If u like the crue then its just a added bonus that they are opening, if not, thats your chance to go grab some beer or piss.

Posted by: Apt. #9 ()
Date: February 1, 2006 04:16

I saw Trey Anastasio open for the Stones in Durham in October 2005. Don't really care for his music, but I thought he was a great musician and was a good opener for the Stones.

By the way, does anyone know where/if I can find a boot of that Durham show?

"When I was a junkie I learned to ski, and I recorded Exile on Mainstreet" Keith Richards

Date: February 1, 2006 05:32

======and hey it could be worse. it could be Bon Jovi=====

Well, that puts a more of a positive spin on the Crue appearance. Bon Jovi would definitely stink up the place much more.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Date: February 1, 2006 07:37

gut Wrote:
> ======And if so, which MC gigs did you attend
> where this occured ? Otherwise, it's just your
> fantasy and predjudice======
>
> You could not PAY me to attend their concerts. I
> could care less what occurs at them and don't
> know.
>
> ITS their shitty music and childish and immature
> attitudes that make me want to puke.
>
> Anyway, Vince Neil should be in jail for
> manslaughter and drunken driving which paraylyzed
> a young woman. He's a piece of trash that should
> be flushed down the toilet.
>
> Call it prejudice, I don't care. They SUCK.

Thats fair enough... as long as we can all understand that you have NEVER seen them live... no problem. Very honest answer you give !

Date: February 1, 2006 07:40

stoneskid169 Wrote:
> The Stones pick acts who are hot, and like it or
> not, Crue is HUGE right now. To people who still
> think they are just some 80's pop rock act, listen
> to the second disk of their last cd (red white and
> crue). none of those songs sound 80's rock to me.
> and hey it could be worse. it could be Bon Jovi.
> If u like the crue then its just a added bonus
> that they are opening, if not, thats your chance
> to go grab some beer or piss.

Very well said Kid ! You obviously know your music...

Here's my advice for even the hardest-core Crue skeptic... give them a listen for 3 songs... I'm not crazy about their perennial "intro" song Shout at the Devil, it's okay but they have alot better... but just keep an open mind and listen to at least the first 3 songs... if you're not "converted" to "well these guys aren't bad" by that time, then go take a piss...

If you are saying to yourself... "you know these guys are rockin' pretty hard" then just KEEP LISTENING because by the time they hit "Same Old Situation" and "Dr. Feelgood" and "Home Sweet Home" and "Looks that Kill" and "Primal Scream" you will be HOOKED! You might not be crazy about listening to their CD at home, but i'll definitely see you at the next live Crue gig because these guys are all about ROCK ENERGY... and they KICK ASS and they TURN OUT THE SLUTS !!! This is a ROCK CONCERT the way they used to be!!

Not to mention Tommy's "titty cam" but that's a whole 'nother hilarious issue...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-01 07:42 by BornOnTheBayou.

Date: February 1, 2006 12:15

for the non-Crue fans here's a video clip of what you can expect to see from Vince and co this summer in Europe

the mind boggles!

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: February 1, 2006 14:36

Vince Neil is a shrewd fella indeed. FYI he went to bed with those two handsome chicks and they pulled an all-nighter with sex, booze and exctasy.
Tommy Lee and Vince sure know how to give plenty of satisfaction to them girls.

Date: February 1, 2006 15:07

i'm sure he did ... i'm sure he did

Mr Blobby is back in town

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: February 1, 2006 15:25

Ooooooooooh! how rock'n'roll.

Oily.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: February 1, 2006 17:03

stoneskid169 Wrote:
> The Stones pick acts who are hot, and like it or
> not, Crue is HUGE right now.

Well, maybe in redneck usa, not in europe. sod off with these idiots.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 1, 2006 17:16

stoneskid169 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> The Stones pick acts who are hot

really?... Metric?, Antigone Rising? Jason Mraz? etc etc

more like, they pick, who's cheap and available.

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: February 1, 2006 19:02

To all the Crüe haters.....

CRY ME A FCUKING RIVER ALREADY!

God - have you heard yourselves?? What a bunch of moaning fcuking pussies!

Personally, I couldn't give a long, brown sh¡t if you love or hate Mötley Crüe - some people do, some people don't, while others are pretty non-plussed about the whole thing.

There's 3 pages of of sad tools on this thread complaining really hard about a band they 'hate', most of which haven't seen MC live before anyway. Why do you get so worked up about a band you supposedly hate?? You sound like a bunch or whining little girls who want things their own way otherwise you'll scream & scream & scream until you're sick. I've seen the Stones 6 times and never have they had a decent band opening for them, but I haven't started a thread on here ranting and crying about it. Fcuking attention whores.

It's just 45 - 60 minutes of another band. Get the fcuk over it already.

Dumbasses.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: February 1, 2006 19:06

Don't go postal riffhard!!!!!!!

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: February 1, 2006 19:35

>to all you whining, moaning @#$%&. Stop bitching about the support >bands that you don't like and stay away till the Stones come on. It's that >simple!

Seems that this message exactly reflects the attitude of Motley Crud and fans and that's the reason nobody wants them as support act...

Date: February 1, 2006 19:51

Amen to that. if i wanted to see a bunch of fat fairies in spandex i'd go and watch an american football game

i just don't want it at a rock n roll gig

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: February 1, 2006 20:07

So,if you don't wanna see the Crue, just don't f ucking do it. But stop that stupid whining. If yoy can't handle genuine American rockers - Stay outside the stadium, in the parking lot, do coke in the bathroom or talk with your redneck friends, buy a Big Kahuna burger and some Freedom Fries or keep on listening to Mr Timberlake or wtf.

Date: February 1, 2006 20:14

=======You sound like a bunch or whining little girls who want things their own way otherwise you'll scream & scream & scream until you're sick. Fcuking attention whores.======to all you whining, moaning @#$%&. Stop bitching about the support >bands that you don't like and stay away till the Stones come on. =========CRY ME A FCUKING RIVER ALREADY! ============

All right then.........Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh..........Sob.

Sniff...sniff......Great quotes, guys!! Especially loved the attention whore one.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: February 1, 2006 20:25

andy js seems to be the worst perpetrator on here.

He obviously secretly loves MC - why else would he keep going on about htem and trawling the internet looking for links?

Just accept the fact that they're playing with the Stones. If you don't like it, great. Don't watch. Just let others get on with it.

>>Amen to that. if i wanted to see a bunch of fat fairies in spandex i'd go and >>watch an american football game

>>i just don't want it at a rock n roll gig

But you'd quite happily watch Jagger prance around in american football gear circa '81??

'Tard.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: February 1, 2006 21:41

gimme_shelter Wrote:
> stoneskid169 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Stones pick acts who are hot, and like it
> or
> > not, Crue is HUGE right now.
>
> Well, maybe in redneck usa, not in europe. sod off
> with these idiots.
>

all americans are not rednecks moron. Just because you're from Europe don't think you're special. u seem like a piece of shit. All countries have little pieces of shit running around.

Date: February 2, 2006 00:17

i love yanks when they get a bee in their bonnet

they just don't understand irony or a wind up

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home