Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: has anyone listened to the new Arctic Monkeys's "Whatever people say...", and what do you think????
Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: January 29, 2006 14:10

I like their energy, the music's quite danceable to, perhaps a bit punky, but I actually like it....The Stones they ain't, but then not even the Stones are the Stones nowadays.....

Re: OT: has anyone listened to the new Arctic Monkeys's "Whatever people say...", and what do you think????
Posted by: andy js ()
Date: January 29, 2006 14:36

yes. i hate them

Re: OT: has anyone listened to the new Arctic Monkeys's "Whatever people say...", and what do you think????
Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: January 29, 2006 15:13

i did. that's not bad! i like it yesss a like it!

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: January 29, 2006 18:54

I have to tell you this.... I used to teach three of them (alex, matt and andy) for a number of years in high school. Nicer, funnier kids you could not hope to meet. I used to reassure mrs Turner at parents evenings that her boy alex was going to turn out just fine. He did me proud! I bought the album and loved it.You should catch them live - it s very intense show.

Date: January 29, 2006 19:54

hoodoyouvoodoo: that's a funny story,I hope you kept some of their really crap English essays to sell on ebay in 20 years time to nerds similar to us ....
I am actually trying to catch them live, but so far no success in buying tickets ,I read in the paper that when they returned to their native Sheffield for a gig recently, the £7 tickets were changing hands for £400 at the door, which is quite amazing for a group NOT promoted by the mainstream music industry and who most people have never ever heard of....not a bad investment on the tout's behalf either, not even drugs give you a profit of 57 times the money you invested .....

Date: January 29, 2006 21:04

"who most people have never ever heard of"

er, they have been at number 1 in the charts you know !

Date: January 29, 2006 21:59

yeahbutnobutyeahbut I haven't seen anything on TV or billboards plastered all over the place as is the case with most other new bands, have you???....

Posted by: Pedro99 ()
Date: January 29, 2006 23:34

I just saw them on MTV - there was a story about them with snippets of their music - which i thought sucked.

Date: January 30, 2006 01:42

yes i have seen them on tv

and you can't pick up a music magazine without reading about them

its another case of an average band being bigged up too early that will only end in tears. sadly for them and not the label who'll be laughing all the way to the bank

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 30, 2006 16:07

Alex Turner's a fine lyricist- the overall musicianship is a bit basic, but they do rock live.
As i suggested back in the autumn- The Stones should snap them up, to support them, in their hometown of Sheffield.

For those in the UK, who would like the chance to see them live, a nationwide tour for April, has just been announced:-

The tour visits:
Nottingham Rock City (April 13)
Glasgow Carling Academy (14)
Newcastle Carling Academy (15)
Bournemouth BIC (17)
Plymouth Pavilions (18)
Wolverhampton Civic Hall (19)
Newport Centre (21)
Rotherham Magna Centre (22)
Blackpool Empress Ballroom (23)
Hull Ice Rink (25)
Cambridge Corn Exchange (26)
London Brixton Carling Academy (27)

Tickets go on general sale at 6pm on Thursday February 2 and are priced £14, expect London, which is £15.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: January 30, 2006 16:30

Artic Monkeys have just sent 2 weeks at No1 in UK with their single
'Where the Sun Don't Shine.
There new album has just sold 360,000 copies in Wk1 in the UK to give them a No1 album.
They are the latest cool band for todays yougsters following in the footsteps of 'Franz Ferdinand'
Whether or not they will deam themselves to be good enough to open for the 'Stones' in Europe is debatable but if the opportunity knocks they should take it - the same applies to Franz Ferdinand who are excellent.

Date: January 30, 2006 19:13

Thanks for the tour info, Adrian, which website did you get your dates from??? I was only yesterday trying to buy tickets to the Manchester Academy on an NME site (I think!)for a date in February..(?)

And to all of those who hate them: won't see you at the tour! (cool smiley

Date: January 30, 2006 19:33

I actually saw them before x-mas in Copenhagen. Warm-up for Franz Ferdinand. I think they were better than FF. For sure a much better sound. After the warm-up gig they went half way through the city and did their second gig that night.
I think it would be bad for them to open for the Stones. It's not really a big stadium band with their quite introvert performance. They're ok. Go watch them if they're around your neighbourhood.
PS: Being 49 it was quite funny to be at that FF-concert btw. The only other people my age had to go there because of their kids....at least that's how they looked.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 3, 2006 00:47

I'm not overly THAT impressed by the Artic Monkeys, but I will add that I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor is an absolute killer tune. The video is wonderful too. It's made out to be like an old Old Grey Whistle Test performance. I stopped seriously following "current" music a couple of years back, but I just had to sit up and listen to this band. I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor filled me with so much excitement. For me, it was like The Strokes in 2002 all over again. I have their demo CD and while there’s some great stuff, some of it just didn't do it for me. Though the last single, When The Sun Goes Down was a cracker and I'll defiantly get the album sometime. I actually think my brother is buying it tomorrow. I'll pop it in the CD-copier!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 3, 2006 10:43

tour sold-out in minutes - no luck with tickets.
oh well..will hope for a support slot, on the Stones tour-
Sheffield would make perfect sense.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 3, 2006 10:55

the 1.000.000th hype from the U.K. I'll give it 12 weeks. It's Franz Ferdinand with rough edges.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: February 3, 2006 13:20

excellent CD, imho

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: February 3, 2006 16:30

Agree with earlier comment.

They would be good to see live, but not in a stadium.

Starsailor are a good band, but they just didn't know what to do with Twicks Licks. You have to have some experience of big shows to make the most out of Stones Support slots - it is probably the hardest support slot in the world. Maybe i9n a few years they could do it.

By the way, apparently the Arctic Monkeys album was the fastest selling debut album by any band ever (at least in UK). That beats Beatles, Stones, Who etc. (Particularly since music sales are less now than they used to be). Quite impressive!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1236
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home