Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Hardcore Long-Time Stones fans, are there ANY bands of the past 20 years still touring that you like?
Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: January 29, 2006 01:40

I'm very impressed by how alot of dedicated Stones fans on this board just slam one "great" band of the 80's and 90's after the other... it's as though there aren't any "non-classic" bands that you think are putting out really great creative music... nothing wrong with that but I find it interesting.

So, are there any "non-classic" bands, that started say from the early 80's on that are still writing new music and touring that you really like and think put on an incredible live concert ??

And not just "fun" music but music you think has the "staying-power" to one day perhaps be considered in legendary status.

I'm always looking for unique new sounds and find them few and far between.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-29 01:45 by BornOnTheBayou.

Re: OT: Hardcore Long-Time Stones fans, are there ANY bands of the past 20 years still touring that you like alot ?
Posted by: Messhead ()
Date: January 29, 2006 01:42

Yep, Rancid, Mooney Suzuki, Chesterfield Kings, North Miss All Stars, Social Distortion, and the Pixies to name a few.

Re: OT: Hardcore Long-Time Stones fans, are there ANY bands of the past 20 years still touring that you like?
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 29, 2006 01:53

Motorhead........The Dictators

Re: OT: Hardcore Long-Time Stones fans, are there ANY bands of the past 20 years still touring that you like?
Posted by: deuce ()
Date: January 29, 2006 02:02

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, The Offspring, The Black Crowes, Foo Fighters, The Darkness, Jet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-29 02:04 by deuce.

Posted by: voodookeef ()
Date: January 29, 2006 02:04

Patti Smith

Posted by: gut ()
Date: January 29, 2006 02:07

Counting Crows

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: January 29, 2006 02:11

No.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 29, 2006 02:42

Oasis, Supergrass, R.E.M. (still good live though their albums are now shit), Pixies, Green Day, and Blur (though they need to get Coxon back in the band).

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 29, 2006 02:49

SUPERSUCKERS, HANGMEN,GUITAR WOLF,BACKYARD BABIES,HELLACOPTERS,PIXIES,BOWIE, PLANT.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: January 29, 2006 03:02

last year macca x 2 , stevie nicks x 3 , alice cooper , saw the crows 2 but i dont think there 20 yet,next month Tom Jones & B. B. King's 80 years tour & mayb this summer the band that pretends 2 b the Who

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 29, 2006 03:05

None

Posted by: Pedro99 ()
Date: January 29, 2006 03:23

I like the counting crows a lot. I think their music and writing is fantastic. I can take any of their albums and listen from the first song to last and totally enjoy it. But that being said I have seen them live a few times and was not blown away. they are one of the few bands that I like listening to their albums more than seeing them live.

REM is a fantastic live band but their later albums have not been favorites of mine

Pearl Jam - Incredible live act

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 29, 2006 03:41

Agreed, Pedro. I saw Pearl Jam for the first time opening up for (who else?) the Chili Peppers in 1991. I'd never heard of them before the show, but they were incredible.

To add another one to my list - Radiohead, back when they were a guitar band (up thru OK Computer). They used to be amazing.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: January 29, 2006 03:54

Like too many of us concert now have competition from things like theater class for daughter # 1 & everything for daughter # 2. I like to think I am hip - but I am not. I see Dylan every once in a while, maybe Neil Young. I hooked up with a buddy in DC for the Stones this tour. My wife asks "why do you have to see them again, isn't (whatever, 75 in Buffalo was 1st) times enough. A definate weakness in the relationship. As long as the Stones keep going I don't have to completly grow up. I am 47, family, good job and trying to outlive Keith. But really - what's all that laughter on the 22nd floor.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 29, 2006 04:24

Bob C. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like too many of us concert now have competition
> from things like theater class for daughter # 1
> & everything for daughter # 2. I like to
> think I am hip - but I am not. I see Dylan every
> once in a while, maybe Neil Young. I hooked up
> with a buddy in DC for the Stones this tour. My
> wife asks "why do you have to see them again,
> isn't (whatever, 75 in Buffalo was 1st) times
> enough. A definate weakness in the relationship.
> As long as the Stones keep going I don't have to
> completly grow up. I am 47, family, good job and
> trying to outlive Keith. But really - what's all
> that laughter on the 22nd floor.

Bob C....if ya see the Stones & Dylan, you're still hip, no matter what the youngins say

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: January 29, 2006 04:35

Thanks Leonard. Take Care.

Posted by: Imagination ()
Date: January 29, 2006 05:23

To answer your question........NO!!
Imagination.

"Pass it on" (Keith talking about the music)

Date: January 29, 2006 06:12

This is frankly amazing....

Listen Up... we're talking about TWENTY FIVE YEARS of music... and to Stones fans who presumably appreciate good music when they hear it...

Of all the fans who responded, here are the ONLY BANDS OF THE PAST 25 YEARS who got at least 2 votes:

NO BANDS of the past 25 years are worth a shit: 3 Votes

PIXIES: 3 Votes (the top-vote-getting band)

Red Hot Chili Peppers: 2 Votes (if you include my obvious vote for them)

Green Day: 2 Votes

Counting Corwes: 2 Votes

REM: 2 Votes

Pearl Jam: 2 Votes...

THATS IT... for 25 years of music, and we can get a grand total of 6 bands! Amazing.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 29, 2006 06:22

I'd say first of all the Black Crowes, very reminiscent of the Stones, Faces and Stewart. Early Lenny Kravitz I used to like a lot. And Guns N Roses, of course, so bloody original. Hidden on both Use Your Illusion Albums are a bunch of great songs. Just too many bad songs on both of them! They attempted to make their own Exile but blew it with wimpy songs like the alternative version of Don't Cry and My World. Album fillers, really. You get the impression the only reason those songs are there is because they had to fill the, say, 60 minutes of a regular album. You don't get any fillers in the Stones 68-72. Take "Just Wanna See His Face" out of Exile and it wouldn't be the same.

Date: January 29, 2006 06:25

sixesandsevensandnines Wrote:
> I'd say first of all the Black Crowes, very
> reminiscent of the Stones, Faces and Stewart.
> Early Lenny Kravitz I used to like a lot. And Guns
> N Roses, of course, so bloody original. Hidden on
> both Use Your Illusion Albums are a bunch of great
> songs. Just too many bad songs on both of them!
> They attempted to make their own Exile but blew it
> with wimpy songs like the alternative version of
> Don't Cry and My World. Album fillers, really. You
> get the impression the only reason those songs are
> there is because they had to fill the, say, 60
> minutes of a regular album. You don't get any
> fillers in the Stones 68-72. Take "Just Wanna See
> His Face" out of Exile and it wouldn't be the
> same.

Okay ! YOur vote for the Black crows pushes them into the "hall of fame"... now we have 8 bands in 25 years that Stones fans can agree on.

Posted by: Goyasparanoias ()
Date: January 29, 2006 07:49

John Mellencamp and his band; also - Neil Young and Crazy Horse

Date: January 29, 2006 07:56

Goyasparanoias Wrote:
> John Mellencamp and his band; also - Neil Young
> and Crazy Horse

NY & Craqzy Horse is probably way outside of this focus. Craxy Horse was playing with NY in early 70's if not late 60's....

Melancamp qualifies because his "jack & diane" hit the airwaves in '82, so just barely makes it.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 29, 2006 07:58

I love theKinks but they are not around..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1556
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home