Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Full St.Louis Set List
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 28, 2006 23:38

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If everybody visiting IORR made their votes here
> on IORR Tell Me then I am sure you would have
> 300,000 votes for YES to the setlist being just
> fine and then 100 hard core fans complaining
> because they want Winter and so on.

And I am just as sure you are wrong.

Posted by: marbles ()
Date: January 29, 2006 01:39

I think what everone seems to miss here is that the Stones are an unusual situation in that people (particularly those on this board) travel all over the world & see them multiple times on the same tour. If you pay any attention to other bands you will see they vary their sets FAR LESS than the Stones do. I recently saw Green Day & Macca and they both played the EXACT same show all over the world. Same with the The Who in the their last few tours. It is very rare indeed for a band to significantly alter their set list during a tour. In fact, the only band I can think of that routinely did it was the Dead.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 29, 2006 02:32

The fact is, almost NO band of any significance changes up their set list as much as the Stones do. Page/Plant did a great job but Led Zep sure as hell didn't (unless you count the medleys inside WLL).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 29, 2006 02:35

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> Ulsterman. Not Brit.

both...so bugger off smiling smiley

Date: January 29, 2006 02:39

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:
resh or specific event.
>
> At MSG, I was hanging out with a big group at a
> bar called Stout before the show. The "Bridges"
> St. Louis 1997 video was being played on enormous
> screens and over the superb sound system. It was
> so much better than I had remembered and a perfect
> way to fire the crowd up...

huh?

That was our Rocks Off crowd who were at the back of the bar and we had brought some DVDs for the barstaff to put on the screens for everyone

You shoulda come over and said hello!! Now I'm pissed I didnt get a chance to meet you...bugger!!

Date: January 29, 2006 02:41

DrPete Wrote:
> The fact is, almost NO band of any significance
> changes up their set list as much as the Stones
> do.

Not complaining about this setlist personally because its their only stop in st Louis on this tour, but that remark is absolutely untrue

Date: January 29, 2006 03:35

It's pretty easy for me to understand why so many people have complaints.The Stones,unlike most other bands,devote a very large percentage of their show to the same songs.People who like what they've done over the last 25 years,no matter how much money they are willing to spend,can't go to see these songs live.The same thing goes for people who like tracks off of chart topping old albums.Hits are one thing but,why the same hits over and over again?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 29, 2006 11:10

i just got back from st. louis tonight. i scored a ticket on the side, as i had hoped and, just as chicago on wednesday, enjoyed the warhorses more than usual. i was also at the first and second show in chicago and enjoyed st. louis even than the first chicago show - although st. louis' song list was like the fall's leg songlist which i've seen a few times, their energy was higher and my seat was better - half of the enjoyment for me is to see them interact amongst themselves and with me. darryl tried to flip me about 6 bass picks.

worried about you was great - although i think it sounds better in the small theater setting - and the midnight rambler was one of the best versions i've heard - really long and drawn out - the longer the better.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 29, 2006 11:27

I'll take YGMR & especially NTITRT (a big favorite w/ audiences and an inspired, take of a song they were born to play) over 'Lets Spend..' & 'Ruby Tuesday' any night

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 29, 2006 11:43

Gazza Wrote:
> Baboon Bro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ulsterman. Not Brit.
--
> both...so bugger off

Err... Yup, sorry. Was too fast; "Brit" makes people think "English",
like it did to me. - StonesTod also said (sorry foir this)
"some bloody Brit" & my point was "not just any Brit". Ok? smiling smiley

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: January 29, 2006 12:54

johang wrote: "I have over 20 casual Stones fan friends who been to this tour and the comment they all have is "great, but I heard this stuff before and thats it. Im not going to another show to hear Brown Sugar and Miss You (among others) again".

It's funny how the "setlists moaners" are denying themselves. According to a typical "setlist nagger" the fact that the Stones have played already 52 different songs on this tour (33 on the whole 1981/82 tour and 37 on the 1989/90 round) means nothing. Or almost nothing. Why? Because, as a guy once said answering my remark about the variety of the lists, "the 90% of the audiences are going only to one show and they don't care if the Stones will perform two different songs in the next four concerts." But the same persons (i don't mention you, johang- i am talking about other naggers) in other cases speak in the name of people who go to three, five or more shows during the tour. Miracle, miracle...

johang wrote too: "if the greatest rock band in the world can not sell out a 20,000 arena there would be someting seriously wrong, I mean the can sng lullaby's and still sell out."

If a band, even the greatest rock band, can sell out the 90% of the concerts selling, also, the 98-99% of the tickets of the rest 10% (just see the published numbers from 28 shows) with THESE ticket prices on the second northamerican tour in the last 3 years, i suppose this band know well what exactly is doing...

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 29, 2006 16:13

Gazza Wrote:
> Rev. Robert W. Wrote:
> resh or specific event.
> >
> > At MSG, I was hanging out with a big group at
> a
> > bar called Stout before the show.

> huh?
>
> That was our Rocks Off crowd who were at the back
> of the bar and we had brought some DVDs for the
> barstaff to put on the screens for everyone
>
> You shoulda come over and said hello!! Now I'm
> pissed I didnt get a chance to meet you...bugger!!

That's so funny. I had no idea...I made very last-minute plans to attend the Wednesday show. While I was on the way uptown to MSG, a friend called and told me to meet his gang at Stout.

Fun place and the DVD was a perfect as a warm-up. I had no idea there was any specific gathering going on--just thought the DVD was a cool choice by the bar. I also kinda liked it when that chick jumped on the bar during "Sympathy."

A shame not to have met you, though. I would've been right proud to shake yer hand, my man.

For some reason, that Wednesday show just really grabbed me. I was perched way up in the rafters, but the band and the audience seemed to be conspiring to create fantastic energy. They were rockin' my bones, those Rollin' Stones. I hope you felt the same.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 29, 2006 19:50

I like that place Stout. Blatantly faux-irish but somehow it works.

There should be a ban on speculating what % of fans go to 1 show, go to many shows, know only Hot Rocks, have every bootleg... most of these claims are made with absolutely no justification. Of course they _sound_ reasonable, but who really knows? Anyone can extrapolate from anecdotal evidence.

Date: January 31, 2006 18:46

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:
>
> That's so funny. I had no idea...I made very
> last-minute plans to attend the Wednesday show.
> While I was on the way uptown to MSG, a friend
> called and told me to meet his gang at Stout.
>
> Fun place and the DVD was a perfect as a warm-up.
> I had no idea there was any specific gathering
> going on--just thought the DVD was a cool choice
> by the bar. I also kinda liked it when that chick
> jumped on the bar during "Sympathy."
>

just for you, here she is - the next Mrs Gazza (havent told the current one yet, though..)

That wouldnt be you trying to slip a few dollars into her belt, by any chance? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-31 18:47 by Gazza.

Date: January 31, 2006 19:18

Unbelievable!

That, alas, is not me. At that moment, I was standing perhaps six feet behind the camera's (your?) vantage point. I was looking at her from exactly the same angle, just further down the bar and a little back.

It's an interesting exercise to peel the eyes away and to look at the wall next to her. Isn't it great to see the grizzled old Dark Prince of Rock'n'Roll facing off with Charlie? I have a feeling that he would be pleased that his music was fuelling all the good clean fun...

Gazza, I'm glad that you and our other friends from abroad were treated to some authentic American hospitality whilst in Manhattan.

Date: January 31, 2006 19:24

wasnt my camera, but one of my 'party' took it..we were at the back of the main part of the bar...there were about 20-30 of us both nights - plenty of pics over on Rocks Off of the preshow and of the concerts..from your description of where you were, you literally must have been a few inches from us.

if you'd come back to the bar after the Wednesday show, you would have been able to watch "ladies and Gentlemen..."

Only a couple of our party had come from across the Atlantic but yeah, I've always found my American friends very hospitable....

unfortunately, I didnt get to meet Miss Snakehips personally and find out how hospitable she may have been.....

Date: January 31, 2006 19:30

oh..and I'm told that a killer DVD of the MSG 18/1/06 show should be up on the RO tracker very soon...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 31, 2006 20:01

got a friend who has it (DVD) - says its very very good

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 31, 2006 20:12

DrPete Wrote:
> The fact is, almost NO band of any significance
> changes up their set list as much as the Stones
> do. Page/Plant did a great job but Led Zep sure as
> hell didn't (unless you count the medleys inside
> WLL).

I disagree Doc,
actually Bob Dylan, a road warrior in recent years, never plays the same set twice. Usually the last three songs are the same (including the 2 encore songs), but all the songs preceding them are different every night.

Bruce Springsteen mixes it up about as good or better as the Stones.

Also, Widespread Panic, although perhaps not "of any significance" to many people, mix up their set list real good.

I love the Stones set lists, by the way, and I do think we are fortunate that they mix it up as much as they do, in my humble opinion.

Date: January 31, 2006 21:51

Lukester Wrote:
> DrPete Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The fact is, almost NO band of any
> significance
> > changes up their set list as much as the
> Stones
> > do.

>
> I disagree Doc,
> actually Bob Dylan, a road warrior in recent
> years, never plays the same set twice. Usually the
> last three songs are the same (including the 2
> encore songs), but all the songs preceding them
> are different every night.
>
> Bruce Springsteen mixes it up about as good or
> better as the Stones.
>
> Also, Widespread Panic, although perhaps not "of
> any significance" to many people, mix up their set
> list real good.
>
> I love the Stones set lists, by the way, and I do
> think we are fortunate that they mix it up as much
> as they do, in my humble opinion.

I'll jump in here as self-appointed emissary from "Neil Young Nation."

Not only does Neil mix the lists up night-to-night in any given tour, he changes bands and arrangements so that every tour has a dramatically different presentation and creates a different atmosphere. The show becomes a creative event, rather than a "jukebox" presentation. And it always throws whatever songs he's doing into interesting new relief.

Obviously the Stones lack a lot of his flexibility, but imagine if they decided to do different shows. I'm thinking here of tour-to-tour, more than setlist variations night-to-night. Instead of just plugging a few different things into a sixteen year-old format (as they're currently doing), why not do a show that had a little more darkness to it? Open with "Midnight Rambler" or "Paint It, Black," come back for a second encore of "Wild Horses?"

People talk about a blues or an acoustic show...well, why not? Or an R&B-dominated show? Why does it always have to be a generic hits overview?

Mind you, I'm not talking about ignoring the warhorses entirely--just scaling them back a little and fooling with the show to give it more and different texture.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 31, 2006 22:12

>
> Mind you, I'm not talking about ignoring the
> warhorses entirely--just scaling them back a
> little and fooling with the show to give it more
> and different texture.
>

You'll get the same-old tired out argument from the cheerleaders here that the Stones must pander to the lowest common denominator of a fan. Totally BS and they know it, too. The sad truth is that the Stones opt to cruise on auto-pilot - easiest way to earn a buck and appear as though they are really working at it.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: January 31, 2006 22:32

Hey, the Stones do some private shows during tours. Pay a couple million, and you might be able to get your own personalized setlist! ;-)

Date: February 1, 2006 06:36

How many people have a couple (probably more like 5) million dollars to throw around?A couple thousand isn't good enough for some songs that haven't been worn out?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home