Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Full St.Louis Set List
Posted by: SeNdEr ()
Date: January 28, 2006 06:38

thanks Gazza....now i can understand...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 28, 2006 06:53

SeNdEr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks Gazza....now i can understand...

why the bloody hell is Gazza getting the credit? - I posted the same damn thing an hour earlier...

Posted by: SeNdEr ()
Date: January 28, 2006 06:56

hahha its ok stonestod, i did not see your post.

Date: January 28, 2006 06:59

you try to do good deeds here and answer people's questions til all hours of the night and then some bloody Brit who shoulda been asleep 5 hours ago gets undue credit....it ain't fair

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 28, 2006 11:41

Ulsterman. Not Brit.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: January 28, 2006 12:03

setlists moaners are really incredible. If played well, must have been a great show! If they play the same thing when I see them in Paris and Wembley I'll be delighted, especially with NightTime.
Hey it's the same tour, 2005-2006! How can anyone expect them to change everything is beyond me. The stones have put up a great show for this tour, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 28, 2006 12:11

Since this was the first (and only) ABB show in St Louis, I was not expecting a setlist like in Boston, NY or Chicago earlier this month. But closer to what was played in Montreal.

Posted by: liquorgud ()
Date: January 28, 2006 14:42

I thought that Boston and MSG were a start to ending the US leg with a true BIGGER BANG, but ......... ah- well........

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: January 28, 2006 15:35

StonesTod Wrote:
> it's common knowledge that the Stones hate St.
> Louis - and they are exacting their revenge with
> this setlist tonight.

Why so?? Not common knowledge for me. What's the rub with St Louis? Do tell...

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 28, 2006 16:15

Not the greatest setlist, but I'm glad to see Night Time and She's So Cold make an appearance again.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 28, 2006 16:37

The Stones hate STL so much that they even had the audacity to make it the Pay per View show in 97! Now the promoters around here did blow it by not getting a LICKS show here but the band has no reason to not like STL. The crowd was great last night and the band smoked!! Ronnie was GREAT!!

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: January 28, 2006 17:18

The set list complainers never fail to amaze me. Do any of them actually go to the shows?

I've seen them all- U2,Eric Clapton, Roger Waters, Santana, the Who etc. etc. even on an off night, the Stones blow them away.

I think the set list complainers should get a life and stop thinking the Stones will play every "wish" that pops up on these threads.

Just my opinion.............

Date: January 28, 2006 17:45

We are a truly an amazing group, I agree. Much thanks!

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: January 28, 2006 19:59

I was at the show last night; it was my eight Stones show. And it smoked!!

This was the best show I've ever seen by them. I was in heaven for the entire two hours. In St. Louis, they've never played YGMR, She's So Cold (since 1981), Rough Justice, Rain Fall Down, Worried About You, Get Off of My Cloud, Paint It Black (since 1989), Midnight Rambler (since 1989), Happy (since 1989). Midnight Rambler and Worried About You sent me into the stratosphere...

It was a very special night for me. The Stones did a fabulous show. They were dead on and showed why they are the greatest rock 'n' roll band to ever walk the face of the earth. They know how to work a crowd, they are fabulous musicians, and have some of the best rock songs ever written. PERIOD.

To have these legends come to my hometown was very, very special. To complain about the setlist without seeing the show is ridiculous!

Date: January 28, 2006 20:00

i'm cancelling your 1234 order, Mickboy....

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 28, 2006 20:04

If just 1% are not 100% happy with the set list then with the big number of visitors on IORR there will always be somebody complaining. There is not one single set list that everybody will like. Some people love Shattered. Others hate it. Some people love You Got Me Rocking. Others hate it. And so on.

Bjornulf

Date: January 28, 2006 20:11

If it was just me and they'd be sitting in my room... I'd like them to play Think I'm going mad and others.

But I'll bring three friends who have never seen them in Paris, and I want Keith to open with the heavy swing of Start me up; I want them to dance to Miss You; I want to them to have the mighty Jagger introducing himself as a man of wealth and taste, I want them to sing "only rock n'roll" and yell "woo woo woo yeah!" and clap their hands as Jagger tells them "you got to roll me". And the stage to be drenched in red and gold and Keith to pierce the night with the opening notes of Paint it black. I want them to have a fab Stones experience and that clearly involves the warhorses.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: January 28, 2006 20:12

That is a lame excuse for the setlists BV. I mean, look at the reviews from Chicago, fans are getting fed up. That is too bad.

Date: January 28, 2006 20:15

fans are fed up because they are too well fed, that's the problem. There is a sense of yearning through the week for the new episode of your sitcom, waiting three years without one live note by the Stones, hoping for spring, that is lost around here. If you had not all these bootlegs and if had been living on blessed memories of the last concert three years ago, you'd be ever so glad to hear Tumbling Dice once more.

You get too much and nothing thrills you - but that's to do with your customer's habit, not with the show.

It's as if I'd give a conference and a guy would complain he had already heard it all - because he had stolen my drafts from my desk.

Date: January 28, 2006 20:25

I don't think fans are getting fed up. If so then there must be 20,000 stupid fans every show every tour paying tickets again and again smiling big smile singing along and after 40 years they are unhappy and fed up but next tour they do still buy tickets and complain about set lists? Sounds like a nut case for me.

The truth is most fans are perfectly happy with the set list but some superfans want more of course. That's natural. I have money but I want more. I have Stones but I want more. Only natural.

Bjornulf

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 28, 2006 20:31

bv Wrote:
> I don't think fans are getting fed up. If so then
> there must be 20,000 stupid fans every show every
> tour paying tickets again and again smiling big
> smile singing along and after 40 years they are
> unhappy and fed up but next tour they do still buy
> tickets and complain about set lists? Sounds like
> a nut case for me.
>
> The truth is most fans are perfectly happy with
> the set list but some superfans want more of
> course. That's natural. I have money but I want
> more. I have Stones but I want more. Only natural.
>
>
> Bjornulf

I was happy with the two Chicago shows. We got SIX different songs on the second show. You can't expect more than that! Plus they were on fire Wednesday. Awesome Rambler!!!!

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 28, 2006 21:29

As someone who has had lots of concerns about the setlists on this tour, I'm puzzled as to why this show is being singled out for so many complaints. "She's So Cold," "Rain Fell Down," "Worried About You," "You Got Me Rockin'" and "Night Time" are either "recent" or rare or unique to this tour--what's the problem with that? That they didn't play the umpteenth version of "Gimme Shelter" or "Under My Thumb" or "Let's Spend The Night Together?"

Finally--finally--the tour is taking on something like a distinctive tone and character and the self-proclaimed "hardcore fans" are whining that they aren't getting enough classics. It seems to me that if there is moaning to be done, then it is with the latter half of the show, where some freshness and variation would be a big lift.

Posted by: ddurando150 ()
Date: January 28, 2006 21:39

well said reverand, as long as they have stones shows people will pay and of course complain.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 28, 2006 21:42

if this board existed in '69 or '72......the set whiners would still be out in force..........even though they witnessed the two best rock tours of all-time imo

Posted by: ddurando150 ()
Date: January 28, 2006 21:44

1967-1975

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: January 28, 2006 22:27

I maintain that it's still a damn shame that all songs after TPIE hail from before 1981 - and if you remove SMU, from 1972 and before! I thought this was supposed to be the ABB tour - not a nostalgia act.

Date: January 28, 2006 22:33

If everybody visiting IORR made their votes here on IORR Tell Me then I am sure you would have 300,000 votes for YES to the setlist being just fine and then 100 hard core fans complaining because they want Winter and so on. If you paid any attention at scool that makes 0,03% i.e. one out of 3000 people. So in the crowd may be 10 people. May be a few more. Not many. I have yet to meet a fan at a show asking for money back. People keep going to shows so it's either self torture or real satisfaction.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: January 28, 2006 22:35

To add to my previous post, they also put the Eagles, Neil Young, David Bowie and PaulMcCartney to shame..........

Posted by: johang ()
Date: January 28, 2006 22:38

Yes, agreed you do not need to be a nut case fan over 40 to want some variation on the set lists. I have over 20 casual Stones fan friends who been to this tour and the comment they all have is "great, but I heard this stuff before and thats it Im not going to another show to hear Brown Sugar and Miss You (among others) again". And, if the greatest rock band in the world can not sell out a 20,000 arena there would be someting seriously wrong, I mean the can sng lullaby's and still sell out. It has nothing to do with their greatest hit set lists and anyone who thinks different is a "nut case" or a have an agenda...

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 28, 2006 23:35

johang Wrote:
> Yes, agreed you do not need to be a nut case fan
> over 40 to want some variation on the set lists.
> I have over 20 casual Stones fan friends who been
> to this tour and the comment they all have is
> "great, but I heard this stuff before and thats it
> Im not going to another show to hear Brown Sugar
> and Miss You (among others) again". And, if the
> greatest rock band in the world can not sell out a
> 20,000 arena there would be someting seriously
> wrong, I mean the can sng lullaby's and still sell
> out. It has nothing to do with their greatest hit
> set lists and anyone who thinks different is a
> "nut case" or a have an agenda...

Right on.

Of course they're sounding great, but it really does not take a discrening or experienced fan to spot how heavily they rely on a tiny, select (and admittedly excellent) songs. And how in the second half it all seems like an established routine, rather than a fresh or specific event.

At MSG, I was hanging out with a big group at a bar called Stout before the show. The "Bridges" St. Louis 1997 video was being played on enormous screens and over the superb sound system. It was so much better than I had remembered and a perfect way to fire the crowd up...but I came in halfway through it and I realized that my date who hadn't yet seen this tour was catching basically ten songs that she was then going to go around the corner to hear live. Now, she's a pretty astute Stones observer, not a "casual" fan, but it wasn't lost on her that after the halfway mark, they were going into "Hot Rocks" mode.

A thought:

In a twenty-one song list, how about seven--one third of the show--megahits a night? And rotated?

MSG #1 (for instance)

"Street Fighting Man"
"Satisfaction"
"Ruby Tuesday"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Sympathy"
"Gimme Shelter"
"IORR"

MSG #2

"Brown Sugar"
"Start Me Up"
"Miss You"
"JJF"
"Can't Always Get What You Want"
"Wild Horses"
"Midnight Rambler"

Then you add two Keith tunes--an "ABB" song and a classic: "Happy" or somesuch. That brings the evening's set to nine. Then, twelve slots in which to make the tour specific and distinctive. Three go to new material (which, given the scope of their career, is actually a lot.) That leaves nine slots:

"Around And Around"
"Let It Bleed"
"She Was Hot"
"Out Of Control"
"Slave"
"Fancy Man Blues"
"Tumbling Dice"
"It's All Over Now"
"@#$%&"

Those would be favorites of mine, but the point is that with just seven monsters a night--and not every night--the Stones can provide the expected payoff without making the show seem stale.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home