Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Mario Lemieux retires
Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: January 25, 2006 04:20

An emotional Mario Lemieux waved goodbye to the NHL for a second and final time on Tuesday.

CBC Sports
Lemieux, part-owner and star forward for the Pittsburgh Penguins, told reporters he would not be resuming his playing career, six weeks after being diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat.

"This is always a difficult decision to make for any athlete," said Lemieux, who retired in 1997 because of health issues and returned three years later.

"I feel the time has come. It is in the best interest of myself, my family and the Pittsburgh Penguins."

Lemieux, 40, listed health, family and an inability to play at an elite level as his reasons for retiring.

Lemieux overcame chronic back and hip injuries and even Hodgkin's disease to play 16-plus NHL seasons, but this latest health problem still has him feeling less than 100 per cent.

"I can no longer play at the level that I was accustomed to in the past," Lemieux said. "That has been very frustrating to me in the past year."

Lemieux, one of the most gifted players in hockey history, had been sidelined for more than a month with atrial fibrillation, an irregular heartbeat that can be treated with medication.

Lemieux practiced two weeks ago - the first time he had been on skates since Dec. 16 - but couldn't offer a timetable for his return to the lineup.

He finished with 22 points in 26 games, but an uncharacteristic minus-16.

"The new NHL is for the young guys," Lemieux said. "We have some young guys dominating it and a few here in Pittsburgh. "They are the future of the NHL. And I look forward to watching them play."

Lemieux was chosen first overall by Pittsburgh in the 1984 NHL draft, and later led the Penguins to back-to-back Stanley Cups in 1991 and 1992.

Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1997, he ranks seventh all-time with 690 goals and 1,033 assists for 1,723 points in 915 NHL games.

Lemieux also won six NHL scoring titles, was named the league's most valuable player three times and captured two Conn Smythe trophies as playoff MVP.

"I've done pretty much everything I set out to do," he said. "Winning two Stanley Cups allows me to leave the game in peace."

Lemieux captained Team Canada to a gold medal at the 2002 Salt Lake Olympic Winter Games, then again at the 2004 World Cup of Hockey.

But he withdrew his name from consideration for next month's Torino Olympics, citing health problems.

"He's done everything, not only for the Pittsburgh Penguins, but when called upon here in Canada," stated Eric Lindros of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"Mario's exceptional play earned him accolades," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement released Tuesday.

"His ability to face adversity earned him respect. His devotion to Pittsburgh and the Penguins earned him admiration.

"His dedication to hockey, at both the NHL and international levels, earned him the enduring appreciation and thanks of everyone associated with the game. We celebrate his playing career and wish him only the best in the future."

Wayne Gretzky echoed Bettman's sentiments, taking comfort in the notion that the NHL is in good shape thanks to the emergence of rookies such as Sidney Crosby, Lemieux's heir apparent in Pittsburgh, and Alexander Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals.

"He has meant so much to not only the National Hockey League, but the city of Pittsburgh and that franchise," Gretzky said of Lemieux, who took a pass from the Great One and scored the decisive goal with 1:26 remaining in the championship final of the 1987 Canada Cup.

"The good news is we've got some good, young players, like Crosby and Ovechkin, come along. So I'm sure they'll carry the torch."

Lemieux is the second member of the Penguins to retire in the past week, following forward Zigmund Palffy, who retired due to a lingering shoulder injury.

Lemieux can now focus on selling the Penguins, which is in the preliminary stages.

He also plans to step down as chief executive officer, but he will remain chairman of the board.

Penguins president Ken Sawyer will take over as CEO.

Personally, I'm going to miss this exciting player. Unfortunately Father Time catches up on all of us.

Re: OT: Mario Lemieux retires
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 25, 2006 04:30

Just think how many points he could have had if it weren't for injuries and his bout with cancer. Perhaps some of Gretzky's records could have been in jeopardy.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: January 25, 2006 05:34

He was a good player, but he shouldnt have come back the last time. But if you can pay yourself $10M a year from a losing team, why not?

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: January 25, 2006 06:12

Boring. Nobody really cares about the NHL when we got the NFL.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: January 25, 2006 06:17

I'll take the NHL over the NFL any day.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: January 25, 2006 06:51

ME TOO

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: January 25, 2006 08:42

Me Three

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 25, 2006 12:24

So I am nobody.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 25, 2006 12:51

What is NFL? Never heard of. Something to eat?

But I'll take Finnish Hockey League over the NHL anyday smiling smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: January 25, 2006 13:35

who bloody cares?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 25, 2006 13:55

Thisis what I take any day; bandy.
Not that street fightin retard Neanderthal game ya guys speak about.

But thanks for the thread & posting anyway, Jason;
I read this in my paper too. We all need new influences.

Posted by: barcelona ()
Date: January 25, 2006 14:07

Please, Can somebody explain me what's the meaning of the minus-plus punctuations in Ice Hockey?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 25, 2006 14:26

barcelona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please, Can somebody explain me what's the meaning
> of the minus-plus punctuations in Ice Hockey?

If I have understand your question right I answer this way (I don't know the exact English technical words, so this is so-so):

An each team has about 20 field players (plus the goal keepers). Only five of them can play, to be in a play field at the time (one 'change' - is that the right word? - lasts about 30 -60 secs). If you happen to be 'in' while your team scores you get 'plus', if your "enemy" scores you get "minus". Simple as that.

- Doxa

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: January 25, 2006 15:49

In addition, in order for a tally plus or minus to go for or against a player, the goal scored must be at even strength, meaning neither team can have an advantage due to a penalty. If a goal is scored with one team a man down, no points are tabulated toward the plus/minus rating.

Posted by: gibb76 ()
Date: January 25, 2006 22:02

I ahe this guy Lemiux.

WhenI was 12 years old in Hartford, CT I asked for this guys autograph and he told me to F@$K OFF!!! Now as a 12 year old being told to F off by an NHL star scared me to the nth degree. I hate this man with a passion.

This is a true story and I have it captured on video tape. This guy makes my skin crawl.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home