Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP, Robert Quine
Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 19, 2006 20:30

The great Robert Quine died around a year ago, and I just found out as I was doing some Richard Hell research. Quine as some here know is a tremendously talented guitarist, and left a small but superb body of work:
****Richard Hell/Voidoids - 'Blank Generation' ('77), 'Destiny Street' ('82) plus live versions of 'Ventilator Blues' & more on the RH comps 'Time' ('02) & the recent 'Spurts' (05) which are both very good, w/ lots of unissued stuff.
****Lou Reed - 'Blue Mask,' ('82), 'Legendary Hearts,' ('83) and especially the one Reed/Quine set where Quine doesn't sound a bit reigned in, 'Live In Italy' ('84).Check 'Rock and Roll,' or 'Sister Ray.'
****James White & The Blacks - Off White ('79) killer punk/funk, & White's (aka the Contortions') catalog has been recently reissued & expanded on CD.
Quine/Jody Harris - a cool guitar duet album, but I just checked my LPs & can't find it, so don't recall the title! Also Quine & Fred Maher's 1984 "Basic" is worth checking out too if you can get past the drum programs (havent played it in a decade, but I will now)
To some it may be old news, but not me - evidently he OD'd several months after his wife died - and it saddens me greatly. A brilliant, innovative guitarist.

Re: OT: RIP, Robert Quine
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: January 19, 2006 21:13

Quines discography is not so small as you would suggest, he was very active on Mathew Sweets early nineties records, as well as a couple of Lloyd Cole albums. Also one of his greatest moments is on the album Queen Of Siam by Lydia Lunch, which is without doubt an underground classic, perhaps best comparable to Tom Waits records like Swordfishtrombones.

Your overview is very good and it can't be said enough what a fine musician Quine was.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 19, 2006 21:41

Thanks for reminding me of the Lydia Lunch album - it is indeed classic, and I recall the Flintstones' (?) arranger (?) did some work on several tracks. Great versions of Billie Holiday's "Gloomy Sunday" & the Classics IV "Spooky", plus great Quine of course. The Lloyd Cole stuff I've never heard, but I'll check it out - thanks.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 19, 2006 21:48

humanriff77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quines discography is not so small as you would
> suggest, he was very active on Mathew Sweets
> early nineties records, as well as a couple of
> Lloyd Cole albums. Also one of his greatest
> moments is on the album Queen Of Siam by Lydia
> Lunch, which is without doubt an underground
> classic, perhaps best comparable to Tom Waits
> records like Swordfishtrombones.
>
> Your overview is very good and it can't be said
> enough what a fine musician Quine was.

I really dug those Matthew Sweet albums in the '90s, and Quine's guitar was a big part of the reason why.

Posted by: RNRBARRY ()
Date: January 19, 2006 22:17

Quine died some time ago. He helped Lou Reed put together a band and make Blue Mask, with two tours to follow. Quine also had classic VU live tapes. Important work. The Lou shows at the Bottom Line with Quine, Fernando and Fred were wonderful. Rocknroll.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 20, 2006 11:00

One of my favorite guitarists.

cc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1404
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home