Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

bang sales?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 19, 2006 18:04

a news story from the a.p. said that legally downloaded songs have reached 1.1 billion last year.. with more than 420 million single tracks being downloaded..
does the stones or their record companies keep track of their own sales..?
to me they should add that number to the worldwide sales for bigger bang...
with many kids not buying cd's...and only legally downloading, i bet bang has sold more than the 2.5 to 3,000,000 cd sales world wide if you add the legally download to the total. does anyone know?

Re: bang sales?
Posted by: micwer ()
Date: January 19, 2006 18:28

Yeah right. I don't think so. 1 million top.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 19, 2006 18:48

bigger bang sales are a bigger bust.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 19, 2006 19:04

A Bigger Bang has sold 2.300,000 copies worldwide.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 19, 2006 19:05

Lookin on the bright sides again eh........?

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 19, 2006 19:05

i meant in the u.s.a.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 19, 2006 19:14

USA? They like Garth Brooks for christ sake.......

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 19, 2006 19:14

The sales will never be as it was, this is for all artists.

Nico

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: January 19, 2006 19:15

2.3 mil, really?
Wow, my mistake. Not too bad.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 19, 2006 20:42

I'M SURE if they added legal download into the sale figures it would be well over 3,000,000 units....georgelicks is that true?

Date: January 19, 2006 22:26

>>I'M SURE if they added legal download into the sale figures it would be well over 3,000,000 units....georgelicks is that true?

The legal downloads are included in the US chart, but not in all the countries. ABB has sold 470,000 in US and re-entered at #198 this week after 2 weeks out. The album spent 17 weeks on top 200 so far matching albums as Love You Live, Flashpoint and Made In The Shade.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: January 20, 2006 02:31

======USA? They like Garth Brooks for christ sake.......=====

I agree that we Americans have lousy chart histories for good music, but I HATE that countryfried cornball S.O.B. Garth Brooks.

His music is contrived feces. I would dearly love to take one of those guitars he smashed up in concert and beat him to death with them.

There is so much good and deserving country music to be heard, but for some reason Garth Brooks became a superstar....That reeks.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 20, 2006 05:33

A bigger bang is just not a very good album. Even though we all want it to be. It just ain't so. We've had DUD after DUD since Tatto You. Sales stink becasue ABB stinks.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: January 20, 2006 06:11

Maybe they should reduce the price of ABB to $1. Then you could get more Bang for your buck. lol grinning smiley

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: January 20, 2006 16:18

bigfrankie wrote : "A bigger bang is just not a very good album. Even though we all want it to be. It just ain't so. We've had DUD after DUD since Tatto You. Sales stink becasue ABB stinks."

ABB is a very good album in my opinion. Sales stink ONLY in the USA. In the rest of the planet ABB sells well. In Europe ABB was #14 best selling album of 2005. Do you think the album is good for the whole world except US?? I don't think so. The reasons for the poor sales in the States are obviously different. We did so many discussions about it on this board...

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: January 21, 2006 01:14

Very RESPECTIBLE sales! For those of you OUT OF TIME nay-sayers I reply OH NO, NOT YOU AGAIN, your negativity is OUT OF CONTROL!

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: January 21, 2006 01:20

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-23 01:30 by cirrhosis.

Date: January 21, 2006 01:33

Just an example:

U2's 2000 album "All That You Can't..." has sold 11.5 million copies worldwide while the last one did 8.1 million so far, a drop of 30%.
In US the numbers are 4.2 million (ATYCLcool smiley and 3 million (HTDAAcool smiley.
I don't think that the final numbers for the last U2 album could be more than 8.5m counting a possible Grammy's sales explosion.

Bridges To Babylon sold 4 million copies worldwide, while ABB is on 2.3 million right now, a drop of 43%.
In US we have 1.2 million for B2B and 470k for ABB.

The Stones still have 50% of the tour to go and the superbowl, the chances to reach the 3 million mark is very possible. A drop of 25% in the year 2005-06 (counting the current state of music, digital sales explosion...) is not bad at all.

From all the 60's, 70's or even 80's bands, only U2 is selling more than the Stones.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 21, 2006 01:41

In the US, I imagine most music is bought by people under 30, who these days buy rap, pop, pseudo punk, and shitty modern country music. The Stones just don't sell well with this group of people. Us old farts are starting to die off, decreasing ABB sales, lol!

Date: January 21, 2006 04:39

georgelicks wrote : "From all the 60's, 70's or even 80's bands, only U2 is selling more than the Stones."

Also the Stones are selling more or on the same standard with a lot of 90's and 00's bands which are supported by strong marketing. I just saw that Strokes are at #1 on the worldwide chart selling (first week) 303,200 units. If my memory is correct ABB on it's first week has sold 680,000 copies.
Georgelicks correct me if i'm wrong - worldwide ABB sells similar to the last albums of Franz Ferdinard, System Of A Down (i mean "Hypnotize") and Green Day ("Bullet In A Bible"). Of course was impossible another hugest Green Day success immediately, after "American Idiot".

European album sales in 2005- according to Billboard: The Stones at #14. Lower than Green Day (#1), Coldplay (#3), U2 (#4) and The Black Eyed Peas (#13). Higher than Killers (#16), Maroon5 (#19), Moby (#22), Depeche Mode (#29), Bon Jovi (#30), System Of A Down- "Mesmerize" (#31), Bruce Springsteen (#32), Foo Fighters (#42), Oasis (#48) and White Stripes (#86).
I suppose that Georgelicks could tell us the number of the copies sold in Europe and perhaps worldwide, to draw comparisons. But if someone believes that the sales of ABB are bad he must be crazy. Or a typical "Stones fan" nagger!

Date: January 21, 2006 05:00

DrPete says "In the US, I imagine most music is bought by people under 30, who these days buy rap, pop, pseudo punk, and shitty modern country music"

I think everywhere most music is bought by people under 30. People older than 35-40 buy CDs with low frequency (they go to markets especialy during Christmas!) and for sure they are rarely buying new stuff. This is not a new phenomenon. Worlwide phenomenon of the last years is “piracy” and downloading. The Stones sell much better in Europe than in US because in Europe they have much younger fan base. Some people cannot understand it and ask: "How can they do it in Europe? Younger fans mean more downloading". The answer is: Wherever there are more younger fans is bigger the number of them who buy the record.

Let's suppose that the 50% of the young people who are into the music prefer to download. Worldwide of course. Let’s suppose that only the 16% of their fans are younger than 35- 40 in the USA . That means only 8% are buying ABB (the others, downloaders) . From the rest 84% buyers are coming, of course, but sporadicaly- even a lot of them want to see the band live. Let’s suppose that in the Europe and the rest of the planet (except USA) the average persentage of the Stones fans under the age of 35- 40 is 38%. So, the 19% buy ABB. And from the rest 62% (older people) are coming buyers with a bit higher frequency because the Stones are clearly hoter there than in the USA. I mean, not only as live act.

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: January 21, 2006 07:00

<<USA? They like Garth Brooks for christ sake.......>>

Lol...what are you talking about? You guys like Robbie Williams!

"You look like a leper dressed as Sergeant Pepper"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home