Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

NO Mick Taylor is a soloist not a prolific writer.He is like Coltrane and Armstrong
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 17, 2006 12:53

Mick Taylor is a soloist and a musical genius and when he wants to can play wonderful passages of guitar with his own band or whoever he chooses to work with.Comparing him to Ron Wood and keith is nonsense.Taylor was born with the vibrato and his work with the stones will always be timeless and the stones will
continue to play 70-80 % of the songs they play live since 1981 have been from the Brian Jones/Mick Taylor era.The stones had there 20 year run and all there
creative output was done by 1981.Yeah they wrote some good songs along the way
but not great records.ABB is a good record but its not ground breaking just simple chords with simple arrangements.The lyrcis on some of the songs are weak
IMO.

Re: NO Mick Taylor is a soloist not a prolific writer.He is like Coltrane and Armstrong
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: January 17, 2006 13:15

OpenG, I give you points for consistency!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-17 13:15 by Potted Shrimp.

Re: NO Mick Taylor is a soloist not a prolific writer.He is like Coltrane and Armstrong
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 17, 2006 13:19

Consistent. Yep. And boring.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 17, 2006 13:27

There is a simple explanation for Taylor's tragedy. He is a brilliant guitarist but he needs excellent counterparts. When I saw him in Germany some years ago he was impeccable but degraded his fellow musicians to background players.
What makes the Brussels recordings from 1973 so extraordinary is the ingenious interplay between Richards and Taylor (and Wyman and Keys). Listen only to 'You can't always get what you want' or 'Midnight rambler' to prove this.

Now that Mick Taylor is no more part of such an excellent group he lost the 'network' he desperately needs. The intensity of mails expressing the wish for his returning to the Stones shows how much he is missed and that to th efans even 30 years seem like a vacation. IMHO it's more than nostalgia...

Date: January 17, 2006 13:30

Boring, listening to the same canned setlist since 1981 is boring.how many live versions of JJF does the world need. A soloist is all about improvisation.
what can you learn musically from the stones anymore nothing.pick up your guitar
and try to learn some of taylor's vibrato now thats a challenge.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: January 17, 2006 13:39

saltoftheearth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a simple explanation for Taylor's
> tragedy. He is a brilliant guitarist but he needs
> excellent counterparts. When I saw him in Germany
> some years ago he was impeccable but degraded his
> fellow musicians to background players.

Who wants to see his counterparts ????
You go to a Mick Taylor gig these days to see the man who played with the Greatest Rock 'n Roll Band at the time (1969-1973) !

Esky

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 17, 2006 13:39

I don't see many different songs in the '69-'73 setlists.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 17, 2006 13:48

Mick Taylor is overrated and boring, he owes all his success to Mick and Keith, without them he is just a sad pathetic joke playing to 3/4 empty clubs that only want to hear songs written by Mick and Keith not the boring shite he wrote. So he can play nice guitar so can the guy at my local pub, nothing special

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-17 13:49 by Ket.

Date: January 17, 2006 13:52

yeah and writing filler songs and average records after there 20 year run is
CREATIVE.yeah keith invented the RHYTHM guitar and jagger invented his DANCE
moves.

Date: January 17, 2006 14:14

Average records are better then Taylor's solo recordings. Tough luck for the man, but that's how it is, OpenG. To compare Taylor to Coltrane is nonsense. Taylor doesn't need a good band to back him up, he needs The Stones, that's why people come to see him and he plays Jagger/Richards songs.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 17, 2006 18:06

No Edward - we go to see him play his (OWN) songs!!

Twisted Sister, Secret Affair, Blues in the Morning, Blind Willie M.,etc.

it's nice that he does "his" part of: CYHMK the ending leads..that he didn't
get credit for...

and KET is just an ASS - go listen to shattered... that's your speed

MLC

Date: January 17, 2006 18:13

People come to watch Taylor perform his characteristic solo's on Stones songs. Taylor knows that and plays them. I'm sure he much rather wants to play his own songs.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 17, 2006 18:16

"He is like Coltrane and Armstrong"....................that's like mentioning Ron Wood's paintings in the same breath as Van Gogh or Picasso

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 17, 2006 18:25

Not sure I'd put him in Coltrane or Armstrong's classification, but OpenG, you make a valid point. In fact, as I've written here and elsewhere other times, MT is really the ONLY true soloist the Stones have ever had on guitar. That's not a whack at Keith or Ronnie, each of whom comes from a difficult "school" of guitar. But, it's what makes Ronnie's attempts to emulate MT so painful at times. You gotta stay true to who you are or you sound foolish. RW on the Licks tour with CYHMK is the best case in point I can think of....

Posted by: phd ()
Date: January 17, 2006 18:35

OpenG Wrote:
> Mick Taylor is a soloist and a musical genius and
> when he wants to can play wonderful passages of
> guitar with his own band or whoever he chooses to
> work with.Comparing him to Ron Wood and keith is
> nonsense.Taylor was born with the vibrato and his
> work with the stones will always be timeless and
> the stones will
> continue to play 70-80 % of the songs they play
> live since 1981 have been from the Brian
> Jones/Mick Taylor era.The stones had there 20 year
> run and all there
> creative output was done by 1981.Yeah they wrote
> some good songs along the way
> but not great records.ABB is a good record but its
> not ground breaking just simple chords with simple
> arrangements.The lyrcis on some of the songs are
> weak
> IMO.
>

Agree with you on Taylor guitar playing. He was a genius,but when a great rythm guitarist was there to balance. That man was Keith. Now I disagree with your judgement on ABB. It is the best pure Stones album since IORR with apparently simple and basic groovy riffs. Now, it is a challenge somewhere to release 16 songs. Usually, a classic album is maximum 12 songs. They could have easily dropped 4 songs. What is lacking, in my opinion, is some involvement from Keith.
He is not that much in the forefront.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 17, 2006 19:32

Nice to see MLC being rational again??

One comment was how many times do we need JJF? Coming from someone who solely listens to bootlegs of MT solo's???

Date: January 17, 2006 20:05

If you listen to taylor's body of solos he does imitiate JOHN COLTRANE tenor
sax in some ways open up your mind same with armstrong on trumpet.

listen to taylor trade keys sax lines on YCAGWYWW from 72/73.

Albet - my friend i dont just listen to MT body of solos I have an extensive
collection of stones boots but prefer that VIBRATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: January 17, 2006 20:21

OpenG Wrote:
> Boring, listening to the same canned setlist since
> 1981 is boring.how many live versions of JJF does
> the world need. A soloist is all about
> improvisation.
> what can you learn musically from the stones
> anymore nothing.pick up your guitar
> and try to learn some of taylor's vibrato now
> thats a challenge.
>

Open G... what band from the 1960's do you know that is still "evolving"... IMO most bands "settle down" by their 40's and just start playing the same stuff over and over again...

That's not a knock on the Stones...

Yeah, Macca writes some new stuff, Neil Young writes some new stuff, John Fogerty writes some new stuff, Dylan writes new stuff... but none of this material is up to the level of what they wrote back in the 1960's and 1970's...

IMO the Stones would have written some great stuff then whether Taylor was the lead or Ronnie or Brian or you for that matter.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-17 20:38 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: January 17, 2006 20:23

Mick Taylor is very creative, but nowhere near the level of a Coltrane...

If you want a "Coltrane Level" guitarist, look at Stevie Ray, Hendrix, Jerry Garcia for sure... music just flows out of those guys like it did for Trane.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 17, 2006 20:25

Agree with Open G

The "STONES" music is one of my all time faves..

the period of 1969 to 1974, I like Richards - Taylor's interplay

Jagger vocals with Taylor's leads behind them!! Charlie & Bill laying
down that killer base for the Guitar's to do their thing!!!

It's not just Taylor's solo's, he's just the icing on the cake!!!

but there's no more "ICING", just some dry pasteboard at the moment!

MLC

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 17, 2006 20:31

Taylor like Coltrane??? I love Mick taylor's invovment with the Stones; it was great. But Taylor has nothing to do with Coltrane. Just because they play solos...As good as taylor is, he is strictly a "white-key" player. He never, ever took risks, harmonically, rhtymically. Coltrane lived on that edge.
I don't know enough about Armstrong to say anything there.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 17, 2006 21:59

MCDDTLC Wrote:
> No Edward - we go to see him play his (OWN)
> songs!!
>
> Twisted Sister, Secret Affair, Blues in the
> Morning, Blind Willie M.,etc.
>
> it's nice that he does "his" part of: CYHMK the
> ending leads..that he didn't
> get credit for...
>
> and KET is just an ASS - go listen to shattered...
> that's your speed
>
> MLC

Whatever! go jerk off to your washed up vibratto boy but is their not a place for you twats to do it other then here?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 17, 2006 22:10

OpenG Wrote:
> If you listen to taylor's body of solos he does
> imitiate JOHN COLTRANE tenor
> sax in some ways open up your mind same with
> armstrong on trumpet.
>

Coltrane and Armstrong had an influence on just about every jazz/blues musician....no question about it. But, I was merely objecting to putting MT in that some iconic category. He doesn't belong in that pantheon of players.

Date: January 17, 2006 22:21

the whole point of the thread was to stop the nosense that some try to compare
jagger/richards compositions to taylor's limited body of writing. I am tired of reading that taylor did not write many songs . He is a soloist and thus thats the
road he choose after he left the stones.

wood/keith can,t play like taylor and I think taylor if he wanted could of wrote
more songs.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 17, 2006 22:44

Armstrong?

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 18, 2006 05:20

MT during 72/73 was the greatest soloist on the planet. He can't write anything special- look at what he's done in 30yrs since leaving. Not much. He's only an Ok singer. He needed The Stones to rbing out the best in him. It was teh eprfect fit.

I'm also hooked on MT from 72/73. Some of his work is really beyond belief. Nobody, not J Beck, Clapton, Santana, nobody soared like MT.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home