Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Love Is Strong
Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: January 16, 2006 22:00

Love Is Strong is probably their best single since Miss You, no it's even better.
I would compare it to Heartbreaker. It is also dark and shining at the same time.
And from the opening to the end, it just blows you away.
A perfect album opener, the only one I like even better is Gimmie Shelter.
The guitarists are weavin' like hell and Jagger sings so cool and emotional.
I also love the back-up vocals constantly whistling "you're so sweet" and "got to meet" and the power of the rhythm guitars in the last few seconds of the album cut.
Rain Fall Down or Anybody Seen My Baby ain't nothing compared to it, perhaps it's because the main riff was developed by Keef and not by Dancefloor-Mick.
I also think that VL is their best work since Tattoo You.
2 wonderful B-sides (JOTOM, The Storm), great album cuts and only one filler (Suck On The Juglar).
New Faces is always considered as a filler, but I like the melancholic lyrics and Brand New Car is just a killer track with an incredible groove.
Sweethearts Together is nothing for every day, but it features a catchy country-styled duet, it could have been an Between The Buttons-cut.

Re: Love Is Strong
Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: January 16, 2006 22:10

I too like the album a lot. Love is strong one of my favorite tunes and I think it was their strongest single since SMU and nothing has touched it since. Great video to go with it. So far I think ABB is a stronger album overall but we'll see how I feel in a year or so.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: January 16, 2006 22:24

I always loved Love Is Strong, it's such a powerful and mean (guitar) song.. typical Keith! Indeed great backup vocals... with Keith!!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: January 16, 2006 22:43

I really liked the stadium production and outfit Jagger wore in Love is Strong on the Voodoo Lounge tour in 94.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 16, 2006 22:46

Hanns Rainsch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love Is Strong is probably their best single since
> Miss You, no it's even better.
> I would compare it to Heartbreaker. It is also
> dark and shining at the same time.
> And from the opening to the end, it just blows you
> away.
> A perfect album opener, the only one I like even
> better is Gimmie Shelter.
> The guitarists are weavin' like hell and Jagger
> sings so cool and emotional.
> I also love the back-up vocals constantly
> whistling "you're so sweet" and "got to meet" and
> the power of the rhythm guitars in the last few
> seconds of the album cut.
> Rain Fall Down or Anybody Seen My Baby ain't
> nothing compared to it, perhaps it's because the
> main riff was developed by Keef and not by
> Dancefloor-Mick.
> I also think that VL is their best work since
> Tattoo You.
> 2 wonderful B-sides (JOTOM, The Storm), great
> album cuts and only one filler (Suck On The
> Juglar).
> New Faces is always considered as a filler, but I
> like the melancholic lyrics and Brand New Car is
> just a killer track with an incredible groove.
> Sweethearts Together is nothing for every day, but
> it features a catchy country-styled duet, it could
> have been an Between The Buttons-cut.

It's good, but not better than Miss You, Start Me Up, Undercover, Mixed Emotions, Emotional Rescue or Harlem Shuffle as a lead-up single. In fact,m compared to those great, powerful opening salvoes it's positively weak. at best it's a good album track, not a lead single. You Got Me Rocking would've been better. Love Is Strong isn't even as good as Anybody Seen My Baby?

Voodoo Lounge is too long, but there is plenty of very good stuff on the album. I wish they'd included Jump On Top Of Me and So Young too.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: January 16, 2006 22:52

I really like Love is Strong and Moon Is Up and sweethearts together are incredible.

But jaggers outfit was horrible.

Posted by: SeNdEr ()
Date: January 16, 2006 23:05

what about Sparcks Will Fly?, its great, Moon Is Up is great also

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: January 16, 2006 23:10

I have never been a fan of Voodoo Lounge with the exception of Love Is Strong. I think it is the best song they put out in the 90's and way better than the trite You Got Me Rockin'. Never understood why they let this one go after the Voodoo Lounge tour, it deserves a place in their set.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 16, 2006 23:14

never liked it that much - it never really goes anywhere and Jagger's gutteral vocal wears thin quickly.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 16, 2006 23:16

"Love is Strong" hooked me back into the Stones then current studio work....i was not optimistic after their weakest decade (the '80's)....but when i heard this track and the rest of Voodoo Lounge i got back into seeing them live...and stopped until the "Bang"........Love is Strong has a dark, laid-back feel (not forced) and tasteful geetar interplay

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 16, 2006 23:34

Yes. It is a great song. Many chords in there, great guitar work. The lyrics are also very good. Like Out of Control on BTB, LIS is a proof that the stones are still great songwriters, as good as they were in the 60's,70's and 80's. I don't believe in saying that they were once great and that now they are not as good. Greatness shows sporadically. An amazing show, a great tune a great album. And to me the stones are still able to produce that in the years 2000.They still have the juice,the inspiration.
Rock and roll
Thierry

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 16, 2006 23:47

Love Is Strong is a great song, one of their best in the last 25 years or so. I wish they'd play it live again.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: January 16, 2006 23:53

Brilliant song. The best single since Undercover at least. I remember the (unexpected) glowing NME review to this day that called it "alligator death blues". Mean, moody & magnificent & Jagger's harp wailing all through. What more could you want?

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: January 17, 2006 00:09

This is awsome song. This, Out of Control and RJ are my favorites from the last three albums. I wish they would play this alternating with YGMR on varoius shows . It sounded good live too.

Posted by: PEDROLEÓN ()
Date: January 17, 2006 00:19

LOVE IS STRONG rocked me up from the very first listening!
It's one of my favourite Stones' hits from the 90's.

See you all on Barcelona / May.27, 2006

PEDROLEÓN

Got to roll me (Keep on rolling)

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 17, 2006 00:26

Love Is Strong great? Maybe a good song, but many on VL are much better.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 17, 2006 00:28

The feel of the song isn't bad, certainly the harmonica is nice, but the lyrics are plain stupid. "in the park... in the dark..." in a house with a mouse... bad/sad/mad... It's like a children's song. I don't at all mind humorously dumb-ass lyrics here and there, but these are witless. For the first cut on the album to have no ideas at all does not get things off on the right foot. And it turns out to be one of the best songs on the album... a low point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home