Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

taylor and chuck berry
Posted by: capsula ()
Date: January 16, 2006 21:40

Aren't they similar? Two guys with a great history, playing mediocre concerts with no backing band (just a few musicians improvising). In the case of taylor I think the situation is even worse, because I think that he even travel without his own ghitar... . Maybe all these recent criticts to taylor would change if he decided to have a regular and good band, his personal guitar, amp, wah, etc...

Re: taylor and chuck berry
Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 16, 2006 22:12

What are you talking about?? he ALWAYS tour's with his own Guitar & equipment??

MLC

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 16, 2006 22:18

And in UK he has fairly a regular band, (drummer tends to change, the occasional additional guitarist).

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: January 16, 2006 23:02

Are you okay? Have a drink of water, will ya...

Mick Taylor was a great player when he was with the Stones but comparing him to Chuck Berry????? Get real....

Look at Berry's catalog. He practically invented rock and roll. John Lennon said if rock and roll didn't have a name you could call it Chuck Berry. Berry's influence is undeniable.

Mick Taylor was a great guitarist when he was with the Stones. But what has he done since he quit the band? Nothing. How many of his original songs do they play on the radio? None. How many bands cover his songs? None. How many songs has he written that are well known with the public? NONE.

Mick Taylor is a flop by himself. Seeing him solo is like going to a Hall & Oates concert, only Hall isn't there. "Ladies and gentleman, please welcome...Oates." Who cares?

And Taylor and Berry are not even close to being similar. Chuck Berry cannot even come close to playing as well as Taylor, but then again Taylor can't write a hit song, make a good album, put together his own band, or launch a sucessful tour, which are all things that Berry knows a little something about.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 16, 2006 23:15

Johnnie Johnson invented rock'n'roll - or was it John Lovett?

Date: January 16, 2006 23:22

Shade, Relax

Taylor just isn't a Money & fame whore like Jagger/Richards..

Just because his songs don't get played on the radio means NOTHING,
look at how many great musicians don't get their music played on "today's"
radio, I can't even listen to the radio anymore, nothing new or
countless replay's of the Who, STYX, Jetro Tull, Pink Floyd, etc.

MLC

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 17, 2006 00:25

Just a thought, MLC, but I don't think things would be different for Taylor is he WAS a money whore. He's just not a good song writer, let's face it. No money to cash in without the songs that will attract crowds or sell albums.

Great guitarist though.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 17, 2006 00:34

Berry's style influenced many of the guitar icons and his riffs have been copied for 50 years. Who has MT influenced? I love MT's riffs from 1969-1974, but after that, he has disappeared from the face of the musical earth.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 17, 2006 02:10

MT & Chuck are at opposite neds of teh spectrum. Unless you are a Stones fan you don't have a clue who Mick Taylor is. Chuck Berry is well known although when was the last time he had a hit? 1919?

Thier are very few guitar players of MTs caliber that are also great song writers and have great presense on stage. If you add great singer to that, the list gets very short..............

What I can't figure out with MT is he claims he wrote several songs with the Stones. But yet in 30 years since leaving he hasn't come up with much. Leather Jacket? That's about it. Not exactly Carol or Johniie Be Goode

Date: January 17, 2006 09:07

Well, of course, I understand that the way they play guitar is different, also, one is black and the other is white, and one is taller than the other and the other is fatter. But, what I said, is that they are now mediocre in a sense that they don't care about having a band and so improve what they have to offer. And, believe me, in Madrid sometimes he has come without his guitar/s. And I don't care about what John Lemon said (he was schizophrenic). Berry is great, and his influence on rnr is greater than what we probably think. But I think that he was as well influence by others (e.g., Johnny Johnson). Shade, a lot of guitar players are influenced by taylor (Marc Ford is a very good example).So go to your kitchen and drink a lot of water or go and listen to music in order to learn. When has berry had a group?. Maybe you are great, but If taylor is a flop, I don't know what I am...

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: January 17, 2006 16:47

Shade, your Hall and Oates line was great! (Never understood them eithe ~ Hall and Oates ~ and one of my friends used to think it was more of a verb ~ Haulin' Oats ~ I kid you not...kind of like Lion Eyes by the Eagles...)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 17, 2006 17:13

capsula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Berry is great, and his influence
> on rnr is greater than what we probably think. But
> I think that he was as well influence by others
> (e.g., Johnny Johnson). Shade, a lot of guitar
> players are influenced by taylor (Marc Ford is a
> very good example).So go to your kitchen and drink
> a lot of water or go and listen to music in order
> to learn. When has berry had a group?. Maybe you
> are great, but If taylor is a flop, I don't know
> what I am...

Berry is a great songwriter with a very characteristic guitar style that has influenced thousands of players for decades.

Taylor is a great guitar player, nothing more, nothing less. I am sure he has influenced a bunch of other players, although I have no clue who Marc Ford is.

Date: January 17, 2006 17:40

Koen - How about Slash as an influence?? heard of him?
Taylor's one of his favorites, and how about the Black Crows??
they play Sway & CYHMK because of Taylor's input on those songs...

Mr. Edward - Have you ever listened to Taylor's: A Stones Throw??

Songs like Secret Affair, Never Fall In Love Again, Twister Sister??
I'll put those numbers against anything the Stones have written lately!!!

and there's a good reason those number's don't get played on "Radio"
some of these radio stations don't want to get on Jagger's bad side
and promote a person who left the Stones on bad terms, as far as Jagger was concerned..

MLC

Date: January 17, 2006 18:09

Koen, Marc Ford is Black Crowes guitarrist since their second LP (although he went out of the band, he is again on board). I would like to know if the stones would have stoped playing sway in this tour if taylor was there (remember Carla Olson live). I can`t imagine hearing a solo like that in an arena or a stadium. I think that, although taylor isn't in the credits, he did something that can't be repeated, unless you are great (chuck berry is also great). Being great means just writing great songs?, Elvis is great?. He didn't wrote many (or none) songs... John Bonhan is great? Of course. Is he in the credits?. John Entwistle was great?, etc etc...

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 17, 2006 18:10

"Mr. Edward - Have you ever listened to Taylor's: A Stones Throw??"

--> Yes, I wasn't impressed.

"and how about the Black Crows??
they play Sway & CYHMK because of Taylor's input on those songs..."

--> You've got a point. Always thought Taylor was a heavy influence on Marc Ford.

I don't think radio stations hesitate to play Mick Taylor's solo work, because of Jagger though. Taylor hasn't had solo hits and isn't well known to the general (rock )public. How many people who aren't really into The Stones or the early seventies rock know him nowadays?

Again, he's a great guitar player and can enrich music with his playing, but it's a shame he's not a memeber of a band, that writes good songs and allow him to make it even better. It's no shame not to be as good a song writer as a musician.

regards, e.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 17, 2006 19:22

Oh, that Marc Ford smiling smiley

I don't disagree that Taylor is a great player and that he may have influenced some great other players. But other than that his influence on rock music is minimal to that of Berry's.

Date: January 17, 2006 19:23

E - Taylor's not the easist guy to get along with, on stage or in the studio,
I guess, I wish he could hook-up with another good musician/singer, who knows

MLC

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 17, 2006 19:28

Where would we be without an up-to-date MT discussion..... riveting!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 17, 2006 20:05

It's great when you get to read a sentence like Shade wrote:

>Mick Taylor is a flop by himself. Seeing him solo is like going to a Hall & Oates >concert, only Hall isn't there.
>"Ladies and gentleman, please welcome...Oates." Who cares?

great one grinning smiley

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: January 17, 2006 20:10

taylor taylor taylor.......blah blah blah blah blah.....all my friend are junkies..............

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 18, 2006 05:30

Part of the reason guys dont' sound like MT is they CAN'T. Just about anybody can do a decent Chuck Berry (no offense to Chuck).

How many people on the planet could duplicate MT on any of his great solos from 72/73? Let me think........................nobody.........The Lady in the Lipstick...get 'em boy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1023
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home