Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT James Brown video 1969 on yousendit for Ablett
Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: January 16, 2006 20:23

Ablett requested some early James Brown - well this is a funky take of Mothern Popcorn, 1969, feat. Maceo Parker, Bootsy Collins et al. But remember: it is but a SHADOW of the Boston concert DVD I mentionned before!

[s64.yousendit.com] (42358
Kcool smiley

edited because of wrong name spelling!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-16 20:24 by otonneau.

Re: OT James Brown video 1969 on yousendit for Ablett
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 17, 2006 01:54

It is just mazing that those guys are sitting there all prim and proper and still un leashing this beast of funk. Popcorn is always one of the fiercest numbers ever done by mankind. I went through a year where I listened to NOTHING but James Brown. This clip take sme back LOL. Had not seen it.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: January 17, 2006 10:26

Ah Chelsea, glad you enjoyed it. James Brown RULES!

Date: January 17, 2006 11:14

They crack me up. Fred Wesley & co ..it is amazing that they sit in those chairs. BTW are you sure that is Bootsy on Bass? Looks too old; wonder if that is Odum. Jimmy Chank Nolan on one of the guitars maybe.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 17, 2006 12:07

Hey otonneau! Thank you very much!!!
Crackin stuff.....

Abo

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 17, 2006 13:17

Thanks, Otonneau. Nice video. Saw Maceo Parker some months ago, still goddamn funky. Go see him if you get the chance!

Date: January 17, 2006 13:27

Mr Edward, I saw Maceo in approx. 1993, yes it was really cool. But to me, honestly, these great guys really needed Brown to set them on fire. If you see a concert video, it's just amazing how they stare at him, following every move as he might lead them in any odd change.
You know he was a tyrant, fining them for false notes! So they all left him at once in the seventies and formed "All The King's Men". And why not? After all, he only dances and screams, they do the music! But it didn't work - it was just good, uplifting funk music - but without Brown it was no longer the war machine that would electrify you and almost scare you by its intensity. Just another dance band. Brown is megalomaniac, tyranical, and he probably isn't very smart compared to Sam Cooke for example, and the way he turned now is a little sad. But he had a mission, or so he believed, and this faith in himself took him to amazing heigths. So much respect for the man!

Date: January 19, 2006 19:33

The big walkout actually helped create one of the fiercest bands ever. JB was forced to assemble a new band. He went for barebones, mainly guitars. That is when he got the Collins brothers who just helped re-revolutionize music. Wesley became bandleader in those days. Then of course Maceo, Pee wee and St Clair came back. The "old" guys with the "new" guys were jusr incredible. Like otenneau says, they stare at JB constantly because he is directing them constantly. That is what is so unique and brilliant about his lyrics. Never has anyone been more in the here and now. he sings about what is going on at that very second and then puts it into action and life. "here I go, I'm jumping up and down. Give me the horns, 2 times ban bam 3 times bam bam bam.."
I think it is funny to compare JB's lyrics against someone like Jon Anderson from Yes. Is that even the same language? LOL That verb-less pseudo-psychobabble against cold hot to the point existence.

Date: January 19, 2006 19:38

Can I have more info on the Boston concert DVD????? Please!!! Where can I get it?

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: January 19, 2006 19:44

If you like that, you'll LOVE the Red Hot Chili Peppers... the sons of James Brown and Bootsy Collins.

They honestly make more noise with 3 musicians than James does with a dozen

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 19, 2006 19:48

Haven't seen this yet, but Bootsy & Phelps joined March 1970 and split around a year later. Also Bootsy was only around 19 when he joined (see the cd "Funk Power: 1970 - A Brand New Thang" for details & killer long versions of 'Sex Machine', 'Super Bad', & more). The JB's 2-cd comp on Chronicles is great too, as James was on most of those sessions.

Date: January 19, 2006 19:50

Oh yes bayou, I like the Peppers a lot. I think Frusciante and Chad are very underrated. The band (Flea, Frusciante and Chad) is very very good. I have some kind of problem with Kiedies. I think it was you bayou (but I could be wrong) who said in another thread that while you recognize Axl's gift and dynamo there was something that bugs you about him,. That is my deal withg Kiedis. His rhyming, while I dig the content, is alwasy the same. the type of singsong melody, half rap, half melody is always the same.
I do like their last album, Mother;s Milk. But my fave is the one that THEY don't even like: the one with Navarro.

Date: January 19, 2006 20:00

Peppers would give there left bollock to play like this

[www.funk-petersburg.ru]

In or outta their socks!

Date: January 19, 2006 20:02

I hear James & band have a hot version of the complete "Tales From Topographic Oceans" in the vault, Lyn Collins (RIP) singing some of Anderson's vocals w/JB...
PS my fave Red Hots is also the one w/ Navarro, too. I think they peaked with that album and the one right before and right after it, in terms of finding their own voice/quality of material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-19 20:07 by john r.

Date: January 19, 2006 20:05

LOL That is funny John!
You know, actually there is one time that a JAnderson song translated well to R&B. "State of Independence" by Donna Summer. One of my alltime favorite songs.

Date: January 19, 2006 20:06

ablett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Peppers would give there left bollock to play like
> this
>
>
>
> In or outta their socks!

Okay... I'll take that challenge... you give me ANY THREE guys who ever played with James Brown who can make anywhere near the jam that the Chili Peppers can...

James always played with a huge entourage...

I'm a major fan of James Brown, just saying that for simple "trio and a singer" the RHCP is unmatched in funkdom.

Date: January 19, 2006 20:10

Worth checking out: the new (2005) reissues (w/bonus cuts) of Funkadelic's Westbound material. They are WAY superior sonically to the previous versions, especially the debut (check out "I'll Bet You") & "Free Your Mind"...also the 2-cd collected singles comp, "Music For Ypour Mother," w/ lots of non-lp singles or alternates.

Date: January 19, 2006 20:15

Anyone have some favorite James Brown CDs ?? I tried real hard to like "Live at the Apollo"... everyone fawns over that tape... just didn't find it that interesting. Whats this Boston CD you're talking about ?

Date: January 19, 2006 20:16

Love, Peace, Power... Paris 1971. The finest live CD ever.

Date: January 19, 2006 20:30

I got to agree with ablett here: that Paris show is one of themost incredible Liveshows I have ever heard. I have it ina couple of versions.
I tried to get into the Apollo show too; and I decided that a lot preobably had to do with the time.At the time it was maybe something new and so achieved this mythical status. The Stones used the same idea on those Got Live studio tracks. JB himself tried to do it again. He released a far inferior second Apollo Live album; much not really live with these hoaky audience tracks.
But bayou there are some incredible tracks that JB did with just drums, bass and maybe guitar or organ. One of the very best, actually one of the best JB tracks ever is "Since you've been gone", Have you ever heard it? This is some funk, so funky, I can hardly be in the same room with it. I do believe it may be a four piece baND tho because Bobby Byrd co-sings.

Date: January 19, 2006 20:40

Live at the Apollo just sounds like they are going thru the motions, whipping thru one song after the other... and there's too much of that "announcer" on there ... it moves too fast, they don't allow time for the groove to really set in.

Date: January 19, 2006 21:01

I had the same reaction when I bought the first ('62) Apollo - after reading about it for years, it felt slight, padded w/ medleys & filler & still barely 30 minutes. The CD ablett mentions is great Bootsy-era live, and the Texas '68 set is very fine too ("Say It Live and Loud"), but a brief guide:
"Startime" is the box, still available, but in shorter doses check these:
***"Roots Of A Revolution" (1956 - 64) the first decade, great notes - James finding his voice - w/ his influences on (from Little Richard to the Dominoes) his sleeve, fascinating.
****"Foundations of Funk: 1964-69"- from 'Out of Sight' and 'Papa's Got a Brand New Bag' you track the development as it flashes before you cut by cut, til disc 2's 'Got To Have a Mother For Me,' 'Funky Drummer,' and 'Brother Rapp.'
****Funk Power: 1970 - A Brand New Thang" - single disc covering the Bootsy era, w/ long versions of 'Sex Machine,' "Super Bad,' & more classics. Hard Funk genius.
****"Motherlode" killer outtakes 1967 - 73, low priced. As good as his officially released stuff.
****"Soul Pride: Instrumentals 1960 - 69" Just like it says, James' bands were always great, and this is as hot as anything in his catalog.
****"Make It Funky 1971-75" Still in his prime, making classic single after classic single - nice mix of long jams & shorter tracks, perhaps more listenable (less monolithic) than the '70 disc.
****James Brown's Original Funky Divas (1960 - 77)" - written/produced by JB, sung by/with Tammi Terrell, Elsie Mae "T.V. Mama", Vicki Anderson (Mrs Bobby Byrd), Lyn Collins, & more.
****"James Brown's Funky People Vols. 1 - 3" James' productions of everyone from Bobby Byrd (who has his own great JB comp out) to Hank Ballard, & Lyn Collins, on 3 single cds. From his late 60s/early 70s funky prime.
****"Messing With The Blues" 2 cd-set of JB's blues interpretations, 1957 - 75.
***"Dead On The Heavy Funk 1975 - 83" Surprisingly solid extracts from the later (post-peak) period - if you dig the rest you'll like this. But get the rest first.
****J.B.'s - "Funky Good Time" 2 cd comp of James' great band(s), circa 1970-75.
You'll note these are mostly comps. James was an uneven album artist, and Polydor has done a great job overall with his legacy here. BTW I also prefer "Live at the Apollo, Vol. 2" ('68) to the first one, and it's out in expanded 'deluxe edition' now.

Date: January 19, 2006 21:38

That's a great discography review, thanks...

Anyone else like that duo with JB and Lenny Kravitz on Papas Got a Brand New Bag ?? One of the zippier JB videos ever, IMO.

Date: January 20, 2006 01:56

That is a great overview but the fact remains that all you got to do is to get "Star Time" and you get it all. John knows that too...lol

Date: January 20, 2006 02:07

Hey come on, Live At The Appolo is mind-blowing! Perhaps what's unsettling at first is that the real killers are the slow ones - I lost someone - whereas when we get a Brown CD we actually look forward to the fast ones.
Ablett, as for the DVD, I can't say more than the reference etc... If I could burn it I'd email it to you but my computer cannot. Actually, would you be interested? I could find someone to burn it and then send it. Always ready to spread Brown!

CDs of James Brown: of course, "Love Power Peace". But DO get STAR TIME! 4cd box set, full length versions of everything, just absolutely fabulous and indispensable. Once you've been through the 7min version of "I dont want nobody to give me nothing", tell me more about it.

Also, fabulous CD (if you're not willing to buy a 4cd box) is Motherlode. Turn the level UP: and play "There it is", with the police sirens, two drummers and a proper funk attack, and James warning: "let everybody know a main thing has hit this town!" Rolling Stones are a really cool, loose entertainment and I love them to death. But if you mean a THREAT: there it is.

Date: January 20, 2006 14:28

Otonneau, do you know the track I'm talking about "Since You Been Gone" with Bobby Byrd?

Date: January 20, 2006 18:48

"Since You Been Gone" will shake you if you're not dead, an example of the amazing funk bombs JB left in the vaults, while instead he padded those original King/Polydor albums w/ dreck like a lengthy Hank Ballard rap praising for what seems like an eternity (and I hope Hank was decently paid) James' singular genius and god-like stature (on "Get On the Good Foot") or a whole flaky cocktail set w/ the Dee Felice Trio (on King). The King LPs were rife with one or 2 hits and reruns from previous albums. JB had soul and funk classics to spare, but never became a significant album artist a la Marvin, Sly, or Funkadelic because he lacked needed editorial input from someone able to put his legacy (& the crossover album market) before expediency. Thus James' original LPs make up the weirdest catalog by a major rock n soul hall of famer. (I spent much $$$ on those original King/Polydor LPs in the early 80s) - until the last 15 years, when Cliff White & others made sense of it all for the CD era.
BTW the Bobby Byrd CD comp "Got Soul: The Best Of Bobby Byrd" (1963-72) fits right in with the James comps, as JB co/wrote, produced, played, and sometimes duetted with his longest running collaborator - and the JB bands play throughout. Check out "Hot Pants - I'm Coming, Coming, I'm Coming", "I Know You Got Soul", "Need Help (Can't Do It Alone)", "Funky Soul Parts 1 & 2" and the rest, plus the inevitable 30-second "Fight Against Drug Abuse".

Date: January 20, 2006 19:44

Since you've been gone is one of best rythmic track i've ever heard. That's on Motherlode, by the way, along with There It Is and another absolute masterpiece, as long as it's title: People get up and drive your funky soul, you know with the wonderful horn bridge?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 20, 2006 19:52

BoB, you have to hear the later stuff... the Apollo '62 is relatively hokey compared to the late 60s-70s. It was a different era.

Date: January 23, 2006 15:25

yeah otonneau, Motherlode was one of the few JB albums that worked. John is totally right when he says that JB's output is downright bizarre. Some of the greatest tunes next to KMart type remixes. I have this one album; I think it's called "Spank" that has "Since you been gone" on it. Also there is a slow version of "Superbad" that is excellent. "Eyesight" is okay too. But there is stuff where JB is trying too hard to get a new "word" or "dance" going. Liek the "Spank" or "For goodness sakes look at them cakes" are not as strong as the other stuff on here.
That is a badass little part in that horn bridge that you tal, about.
I always thought that some of his tracks, the instrumentation is very intricate.
Hipster's Avenue" and ESPECIALLY those drumbeats in "Let yourself go".
I gotta say about the 62 Apollo again that it is my least favorite era of JB when he was still doing bluesy progressions and doowop harmony influenced stuff. On the early Apollo albums what really rules are the long ballads. "Prisoner of Love".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1338
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home