Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie Wood
Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: January 12, 2006 06:55

I have been listening to Rod Stewarts Mercury Anthology set pretty much non stop for the past week. All those classic Rod Stewart albums....

Rod Stewart, Smiler, Every Picture Tells a Story et al.

Ronnie was a FANTASTIC player in the late 60s early 70s, both acoustically and on the old electric as well. But one other thing struck me as well...he also had a great ear for a tune ... he's credited with co-writing quite a few of these early Stewart classics.

Pity The Stones (read: Jagger/Richards) haven't 'tuned' in to that themselves and used some of his song-writing abilities...even if only to edit their own. I am sure Ronnie would have slapped She Saw Me Coming and Look What the Cat Dragged In right offa ABB !!!

And all Ronnie's solo records have moments of sheer brilliance.

Rgds
Rod

Re: Ronnie Wood
Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: January 12, 2006 09:48

Five Guys Walk Into A Bar

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 12, 2006 12:11

I bought "Changing Faces" yesterday and listened to "Stay With Me" for the first time. I only knew Ronnie's recent versions. I'm impressed! It's great! And now I fully understand why people are so dissapointed in Rod and Ronnies decline in the last decade or so.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 12, 2006 12:59

mr edward Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And now I fully understand why people are
> so dissapointed in Rod and Ronnies decline in the
> last decade or so.
>
>

What I say ...

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: January 12, 2006 13:19

there is no ron wood's decline. Just some ears decline of some friends here. No decline, just style. Not conventional style. Great style. I LOVE RONNIE one of the less "cliché" of all "pseudo" blues guitarist.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 12, 2006 13:38

They belong together Ron and Rod. Like Mick and keith or John an Paul or Robert and Jimmy. He should have never joined the Stones and prevented Rod Stewart from doing solo stuff without him.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 12, 2006 13:59

Am sitting here digging on "Own Album". Ron Wood was one of the greatest ever!

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: January 12, 2006 16:54

@#$%& blues Wrote:
> They belong together Ron and Rod. Like Mick and
> keith or John an Paul or Robert and Jimmy. He
> should have never joined the Stones and prevented
> Rod Stewart from doing solo stuff without him.

Well sorry @#$%&, but here's one fan's vote for being extremely thankful that Ronnie signed up with The Stones. He may misfire from time to time, but he's still an awesome talent. Godspeed Ronnie!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 12, 2006 17:52

C. Blues - I agree with you!!!

I always liked Ronnie best with the Faces!! saw them in LA back in the early
70's when they had a traveling bar on stage and Rod Stewart was handing out beers
to the front row!!! Ronnie's best music!! and I saw him with the Stones too
in 1975!!

He should go back to someone who appreciates his talents (Rod Stewart)

and then maybe the Stones would ask Mick Taylor to re-visit??

that's my dream!!!

MLC

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 12, 2006 18:14

Yes, I think also that Ron Wood is a guitarist of an extraordinary talent. But his present guitar work is lousy. Today I heard Memphis 2005 from ROCKPASSION. The band is all over great, Keith guitar better than ever, Charlies drumming better than ever, but Ronnies solos pparticularly on tracks he did thousand times are completely unstructured, you can hear his fingers searching the right fret, hear e.g. "Tumbling Dice". This is nothing than terrible. It isn't sloppy or so, it is simply no music.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 12, 2006 18:21

Oh yeah, Ronnie's playing on this tour is just great!

Sincerely,
Sergeant Shultz

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 12, 2006 18:23

1cdog Wrote:
> Oh yeah, Ronnie's playing on this tour is just
> great!
>
> Sincerely,
> Sergeant Shultz

that didn't sound sincere!

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: January 12, 2006 18:26

@#$%& blues Wrote:
> should have never joined the Stones and prevented
> Rod Stewart from doing solo stuff without him.

Ronnie did not want to break up the Faces. Ronnie joined the Stones after Rod decided to go solo

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 12, 2006 18:29

The great thing about the Faces breakup, though, is that they are forever immortalized in that freeze-frame of the early 70's. No discussion of declining talents, vegas-style shows, etc. They were arguably THE best R&B-based rock band of the 70's - and yes that includes a certain group we talk about on this site from time to time.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 12, 2006 18:39

Shezeboss wrote: "there is no ron wood's decline. Just some ears decline of some friends here. No decline, just style. Not conventional style. Great style. I LOVE RONNIE one of the less "cliché" of all "pseudo" blues guitarist.
"
I'm glad you love Ronnie, that's great. I do to, but to say his playing has in no way declined is to be willfully oblivious to reality. With all due respect Shezeboss, perhaps you should have your hearing checked. My ears are fine, thank you very much.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 12, 2006 18:43

my guess: if Woody's still "on the wagon" after who knows how many years off of it.....he's in a zone that he hasn't experienced in decades.....gotta be strange........but it's not the ears of listeners its Woody's readjustment to sober life at this late in the game....tough goings

Date: January 12, 2006 18:46

Yeah, perhaps your right Leonard but whatever the reason it's hard for me hear him play these days when I know he is (was?) capable so much more.

Date: January 12, 2006 18:51

Shezeboss Wrote:
> there is no ron wood's decline. Just some ears
> decline of some friends here. No decline, just
> style. Not conventional style. Great style. I LOVE
> RONNIE one of the less "cliché" of all "pseudo"
> blues guitarist.

come on. this is a ridiculous statement. that's like saying I can still run a 5 minute mile. 15 years after I could. Everyones skills deteriorate somewhat. Some more than others unfortunately.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 12, 2006 18:51

ChrisM Wrote:
> Yeah, perhaps your right Leonard but whatever the
> reason it's hard for me hear him play these days
> when I know he is (was?) capable so much more.

ChrisM....like watching your favorite athlete declining in his/her twilight years.....tough to watch.....but i have a feeling (at least pulling for him) that Woody will bounce back.......either way it's been a roller-coaster ride

Date: January 12, 2006 18:54

I share your sentiments Leonard. Godspeed to him and all.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: January 12, 2006 19:06

"like watching your favorite athlete declining in his/her twilight years...tough to watch"

These are some of the most deepest words I've read here in a long time, when talking about Ronnie's abilities on the guitar, Leonard. I fully agree with you. (And the saddest part of that feeling is that it could even be said about Keith too).

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: January 12, 2006 19:21

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> 1cdog Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Oh yeah, Ronnie's playing on this tour is
> just
> > great!
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Sergeant Shultz
>
>
> that didn't sound sincere!

Well it is what it is..........

And that my friend is what is unfortunate - all the way around.........

Date: January 12, 2006 19:25

Hey, I can still deal with it and will 2 more times! Maybe he'll make a comeback on the second leg here! Then again, maybe he won't!

Date: January 12, 2006 19:33

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> Hey, I can still deal with it and will 2 more
> times! Maybe he'll make a comeback on the second
> leg here! Then again, maybe he won't!

Hey, that's exactly what I am hoping for. As it is needed..........

Previously attended a couple of BB shows last Fall. Attending the MSG 1/20/06 show. Hoping and wishing for the best for the 1/20/06 show and the future.

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: January 12, 2006 19:34

They belong together Ron and Rod. Like Mick and keith or John an Paul or Robert and Jimmy. He should have never joined the Stones and prevented Rod Stewart from doing solo stuff without him.

I second, third and however many it takes dude - Rod and Ronnie were the bomb, best singer and guitarist ever! did you hear me lol ever!

I say we start a campaign to bring back together

Date: January 12, 2006 19:35

yeah i got 2 chicago shows coming up. The second 1 I'm in row 1 behind b stage. that should be cool. hope to get some good pictures!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 12, 2006 20:14

Georgv - you got your info wrong. Ronnie DID breakup the Faces, Rod didn't
announce his solo stuff until after Ronnie joined up with the Stones. Rod
even said, back then, that Ronnie wrote an "unpleasant' note to him as part
of his send-off...

Back then, Ronnie was asked to join the night Taylor delivered his
walking papers to Jagger, and Ronnie said: I'd join the Stones in a minute
but I don't want to break up the Faces,

Rod Stewart says similiar statements about the subject when asked.
He always comments that Jagger told him he would never "steal" Ronnie from
the Faces, but he did. Think that's why Jagger & Stewart are no longer:
chummy - Jagger hates it when Rod rubs his nose in it about stealing Ronnie
and causing the breakup of the Faces.

MLC

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 12, 2006 20:19

But Ronnie didn't "join the Stones" really until 1976. In fact, he toured with the Faces after the '75 TOTA with the Stones (with whom he was officially only "guesting").

Posted by: mainvein ()
Date: January 12, 2006 20:21

You're absolutely right about Ronnie- he has a great ear for a tune, and I wish he was more involved in the song-writing on a Bigger Bang. Also, as a new member I'm pretty shocked by the number of people who disregard Ronnie's brilliance as a guitar player and think of him almost as replaceable. Ron Wood is a Stone is a Stone is a Stone I couldn't imagine the stones without Ronnie not only does he rip and add so much musically, but his presence on stage gels the band into the @#$%& kick ass greatest rock band that is the Rolling Stones, not only can he play the part, but he definately lokks the part as well. By the way has anyone seen the very short clip of Ronnie in that awful movie 9 and 1/2 Weeks- What's her name is walking through this like gallery show/party scene and there's a quick shot of Ron Wood talking to some model type. It's so bizarre that he pops up there it makes me wonder what circumstances brought that about?

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: January 12, 2006 20:25

Ronnie seems to barely even play these days. He does a lot more dancing and goofing around on stage--flinging his arms around--but barely strumming the guitar--like he's afraid to get a sound out of it.

I just listened to the Handsome Girls 1978 boot and he is just ripping it up--great solos--what happened? Seems like Keith is doing more solos these days.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1584
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home