Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Exile On Main St. - Ltd. Ed. and SACD?
Posted by: swsfo ()
Date: January 5, 2006 10:48

I know that Exile was re-released in "remaster" form - in mid 1990's. Is the "Ltd. Ed. Exile" different than this mix?

Also, is there a SACD release of Exile?

Re: Exile On Main St. - Ltd. Ed. and SACD?
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: January 5, 2006 11:17

What Ltd Edition are you refering to??

Date: January 5, 2006 11:24

xomd people sell such a beast on eBay - do you know if any are official?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 5, 2006 11:53

The original Exile CD sukked big time. On CD, Exile was remastered once, when the catalog shifted to Virgin, and to the best of my knowledge, it is the one available today. The original rerelease of the CD came in a replica of the original album (with mini-postcards). Some people claim that that version is better than the versions available now, but I doubt it. It has not been released on SACD; only the London catalog was made available in the dual layer format from Abkco.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 5, 2006 12:28

"The original rerelease of the CD came in a replica of the original album (with mini-postcards). Some people claim that that version is better than the versions available now"

I have some of those. I can't tell if there's any difference. I can't hear it if there is. I have SF, EOMS, IORR, B&B, SG and TY.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: January 5, 2006 13:41

I also have the recent release on vinyl, which is supposedly an audiophile quality pressing. But, since I no longer have a decent turntable, I haven't heard it yet.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 5, 2006 13:55

We discussed this some time ago.

ALL CD releases of EOMS are plain waful if compared to the old vinyl.

CBS and Virgin CD releases differ a lot. Virgin is somehow "warmer" and that booming bass of the CBS version is now more "natural". On the other hand it is also "duller" if compared to the first CBS. Take the percussions and marimbas on black angel for istance. On the LP they are clear up front with "the sound of the room" there. On the CBS they are still there up front, but the "room" is lost. On the Virgin CD percussions and marimbas seem as if they were played in a different room (and maybe a diffrent floor as well).

On CD the acoustic guitars are simply unlitenable. They sound as if they were the 81 infamous Ovations ...

C

Date: January 5, 2006 14:04

I'll basically agree that the original album sounded much better than the CD's, but I think that Exile presents all kinds of problems for engineers trying to master it for CD. I have not heard many people who like the CBS CD, though.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 5, 2006 16:50

the virgin is FAR better than cbs cd's....

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 5, 2006 17:50

some folks will tell you that the Mickboy remaster (from vinyl) is the way to go. In my a/b comparisons with the Virgin CD, I've found little difference.

Date: January 5, 2006 18:18

Thanks for info & input.....that settles it - have to get a copy of Exile on vinyl...

Posted by: mcparty ()
Date: January 5, 2006 19:18

There is a difference in the two CD's. For example, Listen to the 'Sweet Virginia', right at the chorus, the audio really spikes on the original CD - the Virgin re-issue is a much better mix.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home