Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

piano in satisfaction
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 4, 2006 06:38

an oldies station i sometimes listen to plays an interesting version of satisfaction. It seems to have alot of echo around it, but most interesting is I can detect a paino in the song. It plays along with the riff. On timeisonourside it doesnt list there being a piano, so am I hearing things?

Re: piano in satisfaction
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 4, 2006 06:44

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will know the real answer, but my first thought is that they probably have one of the first round of cd's that were put out. They will remixed, and some of the songs sound so different. The biggest offender being Get Off of My Cloud, which I can't even listen to. My oldies station still plays that version (Oldies 103.3 in Boston). Eventually, they were all fixed back to the way they were supposed to be.

Perhaps this is what you are hearing. Can't tell you anything about the piano though.

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: January 4, 2006 06:52

Happy Jack Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> an oldies station i sometimes listen to plays an
> interesting version of satisfaction. It seems to
> have alot of echo around it, but most interesting
> is I can detect a paino in the song. It plays
> along with the riff. On timeisonourside it doesnt
> list there being a piano, so am I hearing things?

NO, you are not hearing things. I've heard that version so many times on the radio and nobody ever knows what the hell I am talking about when I point out the difference with the piano. Glad I'm not the only one.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: January 4, 2006 07:31

I have a really clear, distinct version of Satisfaction where you can hear every instrument being played. I'll post it if nobody has any objections (I say this because recently in another thread, ppl were concerned about 'official' Stones tunes being posted on here for downloading purposes).

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: January 4, 2006 12:15

I've heard the piano version once when I was driving in my van (I'm in Melbourne Australia) & I could hear the piano quite distinctly even thru the engine noise. I phoned the radio station when I got home & the dj said that what they played were from special radio-station-only hits compilation cd's, so I guess it's a version that is not publicly available.

Given the nature of this recording I suspect it would be alright to post this Stones89.

What I do have is the Karaoke version! Its from the Black Box boot, cd1. There are no vocals except for a very faint 'hey hey hey'. The piano is clearly there & the acoustic rythm guitar is more prominent than on the official release, plus you can really hear Keith turning the fuzz-box on & off.

Satisfaction No Vocals
[s18.yousendit.com]

Re: assorted sounds in Satisfaction
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 4, 2006 12:20

i'm at work so i can't download this now, but i smile every time i hear Keith kick on that fuzzbox. it's so plain once you know it's there.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 4, 2006 14:15

Those fuzzboxes were so big and cumbersome back then. The Big Muffs remiond me of the Electro harmonix Analog delays where the actual hardware is suspicious. The metal is almost tin LOL. gets all bent and seperates; you have wires hanging out etc. We have a guitarrist who loves any old effect and insists on using them all onstage. His area is downright dangerous with all the taped up rigged boxes dangling. Those old fuzz animals...when you step on them they have to think for a moment, give you a bit of crackling, white noise, some loud clicks, a dialtone maybe LOL and then..voila - FUZZ!

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 4, 2006 23:04

The original London Hot Rocks CD that was released in 85 has a stereo version of Satisfaction, as well as Play with Fire and Get Off Of My Cloud. This is the only CD (that I'm aware of) that has these versions. I thought when they were re-released in 2002, that those songs would be in stereo but they weren't.
As far as the piano, yes, it is very audible on Satisfaction. I have the CD but haven't listend to the song in a while, but I think that the piano as well as Brian's acoustic guitar come out of the right speaker while drums, bass and Keith's fuzz guitar come out of the left.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: January 5, 2006 00:08

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-05 00:24 by stones40.

Posted by: Juiced In NJ ()
Date: January 5, 2006 01:06

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Those fuzzboxes were so big and cumbersome back
> then. The Big Muffs remiond me of the Electro
> harmonix Analog delays where the actual hardware
> is suspicious. The metal is almost tin LOL. gets
> all bent and seperates; you have wires hanging out
> etc. We have a guitarrist who loves any old effect
> and insists on using them all onstage. His area is
> downright dangerous with all the taped up rigged
> boxes dangling. Those old fuzz animals...when you
> step on them they have to think for a moment, give
> you a bit of crackling, white noise, some loud
> clicks, a dialtone maybe LOL and then..voila -
> FUZZ!
>
> "Keith - The Walking Bestower of Street Cred"

I used to do some business with Electro Harmonix back in the 70s. Very cool bunch of people. If anyone knows what happened to Mike Matthews I'd like to know.

Date: January 5, 2006 02:59

vox12string Wrote:

> Given the nature of this recording I suspect it
> would be alright to post this Stones89.

Alright vox, you've convinced me. I'll post it.

[s58.yousendit.com]

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (In Super Stereo*)

*This was just a cheesy thing I threw in the title. lol smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-05 03:03 by Stones89.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: January 5, 2006 05:04

Thx for Stereo Satisfaction, I'm constantly in wonder of how much of their rocky stuff is made up of mainly acoustic instruments, another one that springs to mind is Not Fade Away.

Date: January 5, 2006 05:10

I liked it. It sounds pretty good with the fuzz-tone guitar, the drums, the acoustic guitar and the tambourine taps. A very textural song imo.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 5, 2006 05:32

Question is what was recorded first: the piano or the tambourine?
Charlie says he remembers vividly Jack Nitszche playing the tambourine on Satifaction, and the piano seems to tame to be Ian Stewart, though it could be.
So when the band did the backing track, who played what? Could they both be overubs
by Jack N?

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: January 5, 2006 07:26

Happy Jack Wrote:
> an oldies station i sometimes listen to plays an
> interesting version of satisfaction. It seems to
> have alot of echo around it, but most interesting
> is I can detect a paino in the song. It plays
> along with the riff. On timeisonourside it doesnt
> list there being a piano, so am I hearing things?

No, this "wide stereo" version of Satisfaction has been widely distributed to oldies radio stations in the U.S. since the late 80s. My memory tells me that it originally turned up on the Japanese Hot Rocks CD, and then was subsequently distributed to radio stations in various syndicated radio-only oldies compilation CDs.

I used to work at an oldies FM station, and recall that this particular version and a wide stereo version of Get Off My Cloud were included on those compilation CDs which radio stations could buy in order to build their library. There was huge (self-induced?) pressure on oldies radio stations back in those days to offer stereo versions of their songs whenever possible, rather than mono.

This version of Satisfaction reduces the impact of Keith's "chainsaw" fuzz tone lead. I found it fascinating 15 years ago, but after the novelty wore off, I much preferred (and still prefer) the power of the original mono mix.

I hate the "wide stereo" mix of Cloud so much that anytime I hear it on a radio station, I always call the DJ and complain. Most of them could give a rat's ass and pay no attention to me, but it really is an awful mix.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 5, 2006 07:28

Thanks everyone. At least I know im not crazy. smiling smiley

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: January 5, 2006 10:08

If you have a pre-digallty remastered copy of Satisfaction just pan the speakers to the right or left and you can clearly hear the parts being played and how they crammed whatever they needed onto a track. Remember most stuff was recorded 4 track and ping ponged down to create "more tracks".

The original Satisfaction is very distinctive. When you pan the speakers you ca clearly hear the sparse acoustic guitar and piano. You can also hear KR click on the fuzztone.

Later re-released (remixed, remastered, whatever) albums before Beggars had versions where the entire song was tracked through the left and right speakers to create "stereo". They just double tracked the song. Never should have been done.

Milo, NYC
She said yeah

Posted by: barcelona ()
Date: January 5, 2006 10:20

Isn't it the piano at the beginning of Flight 505?
Just kidding

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2006 13:17

Apparently on May 10th 1965 at the Chess Studios, Chicago..the Stones cut an acoustic demo of Satisfaction with harmonica solo...this demo has never been released even on bootleg...See Jagger interview below.....Hmmm would kill to hear it!!!

May 11-12 Stones cut Satisfaction backing track and 7"/ album version at RCA Studios LA California.

Mick Jagger interview Mojo Rolling Stones Special edition 2003

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 5, 2006 22:29

Wow, Rockman that would be a gas to hear that. Didn't they say that the early version of "Satisfaction" sounded like a country song? I wonder if they even had the stop in it yet. I read something about the stop. The "no no no/ hey hey hey' part. Like it was added a little later in the writing process. Jagger kind of slipped it in there.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 6, 2006 00:17

Yeah Chelsea seem to recall some mention of it starting life as a country song.
But where is that Chess recording? Even Jagger says he doesn't know what happened to it....Pain man pain just thinking about it

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2065
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home