Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Completely OT: I Love Classical Music
Posted by: phd ()
Date: January 3, 2006 14:44

RobertJohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> A legendary rendition of Brahms symphonies,
> unmached until today I think, is the one with
> Bruno Walter, one of the greatest conductors. It
> was produced in the '50 I think.

Bruno Walter's Mahler's symphonies orchestrations are also unmatched. To the exception of Bernstein renditions.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 3, 2006 16:11

Koen wrote:

Bonus question: What did Beethoven's wife used to say in bed?

You don't sound as good without Mick Taylor!

BTW, I love Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, and Wagner. Also, the Russian 5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-03 16:12 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: January 3, 2006 16:30

Yup, Mahler, Strauss (not the one with the Waltz ;-), Rachmaninov, Schnittke, Bach, Brahms, Beethoven, Mozart, Händel and also some Opera stuff ....

BTW. Keefs favorite is Mozart as far as I remember!

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: January 18, 2006 00:10

Anyone have a preferential recording of Bruckner's 7th ??

To make a long story short, I was buying a couple CD's for a friend of mine, and somewhat by accident purchased Bruckner's 7th, conducted by Herbert vonKarajan at the BERLIN Philharmonic...

I'd actually intended to buy vonKarajan's rendition at the Vienna Philharmonic instead...

ANYWAY... I kept the Berliner, and already having the Wiener version listened to them both sort of "back to back"...

IMO the Vienna is the way to go. There's alot of great write-ups about Berlin but the Vienna RECORDING is just plainly better, and I think a bit more impassioned performance too... I've listened to it for years, always sounds fresh.

You notice how many irritating Classical CD's there are where the sound level is so uneven thru the performance that you have to keep turning the volume dial up and down ??? The EMI Berliner recording is that way... whereas the Vienna is just a crisp masterpiece...

It was also Von Karajans very last performance, and that adds a certain urgency to it, given that at the end of the day he's probably the greatest symphonic conductor who ever lived.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-18 01:05 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 18, 2006 01:04

Koen Wrote:
> Bonus question: What did Beethoven's wife used to
> say in bed?

And the answer is:

drumroll..................

"Roll over, Beethoven"

Ba-Boom-Tjing!

Posted by: theboys ()
Date: January 18, 2006 05:24

Interesting subject - I'm classically trained, done concertos, still do chamber music - love Brahms, Beethoven, etc.. . . . . .then discovered the Stones, now other rock/blues stuff too - all over the place, I drive my family nuts, playing Beethoven one minute, then 'Ruby Tuesday', 'Waiting On A Friend', 'Paint It Black' or something, maybe some Billy Joel covers. . . . go figure, it's all fun disecting what makes something 'click', even with classical, it's the hooks, or the imbedded drama, or the catchy melody. . . or something? - doesn't matter if it's rock or classical, dive in and feel it out, there's reasons why some music makes it and some doesn't. . . . .

had many a debate with folks who couldn't figure out how a classical pianist could like the stones. . . .the proof is in the pudding, I say if it rocks. . .it rocks. Plain & simple.

Any other classical pianists out there like me?. . . . .

Get off my cloud. . . .

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: January 18, 2006 16:45

I am not one, but I can think of another classically trained pianist who turned out sort of like that. Ever heard of George Duke? He is a highly skilled afro-american pianist who started very young teaching, then playing live and in the studio with jazzmen Jean-Luc Ponty, Canonball Adderley, etc., then with Frank Zappa for a good while. Was skilled to sight-read Zappa's most complex stuff, but also learnt from being in his band to open himself up to all sorts of root, rock, gutsy and bluesy music. (This I have read in an interview with Duke.)
On the live "Advance Romance", guest Captain Beefheart takes this extremely powerful, mid-tempo blues solo on the diatonic harmonica. And Duke can be heard all the while in the left channel, in the back, exclamating, almost choking himself with excitement over this very simple music... This for me is also a good illustration of that.

Date: January 18, 2006 18:59

I have played piano for roughly 25 years but not up to your level . Classical : Debussy, Bartok and Bach ( the most difficult to play in my point of view). Started at the same time the first riffs of Keith and the melodics of Brian bombed my head. Dropped sometimes ago. But have the same problems with my family as you, i.e. going back and forth constantly from Stones to Classics. That's life.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: January 18, 2006 20:45

I would think a classical pianist would really appreciate alot of McCoy Tyner's piano work in the Coltrane Quartet... live at birdland and live at the village vanguard are masterpieces.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: January 18, 2006 21:10

Oh yeah!

Date: January 18, 2006 22:02

BornOnTheBayou Wrote:
> I would think a classical pianist would really
> appreciate alot of McCoy Tyner's piano work in the
> Coltrane Quartet... live at birdland and live at
> the village vanguard are masterpieces.
>
> "It's just that demon life has got me in it's
> sway..."

Yes. True.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home