Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jagger: Man of Few Words
Posted by: neptune ()
Date: December 30, 2005 17:54

What astounds me is how little Mick talks during shows. Considering he has been in the music biz for over 40 years and he himself is 60+ years old, one would think Mick would have more to say to an audience during shows. I went to the concert in Chicago back in September and Mick really did not say anything in between songs other than 'ALRIGHT!, 'HOW ARE YOU ALL FEELING TONIGHT?', 'YEAAHH!', 'THIS ONE'S FROM OUR NEW ALBUM!', 'WHAT A BEAUTIFUL EVENING IT IS!', and 'ARE YOU GUYS HAVING A GOOD TIME?'. Gee Mick, what a clever conversationalist you are! Before playing Ruby Tuesday, he said, "This is for an old friend." Who could this 'old friend' be? Of course, no elaboration from Mick. As for Chicago, a town that has a very SPECIAL place in the Stones long history (they even recorded numerous tracks there during the early 60's for Christ's sake!), all what Mick could say throughout the whole show was, "It's great to be back here in Chicago." That's it. No stories, anecdotes . . . nothing. Considering audience members pay steep ticket prices to attend these shows, it would be nice for Mick and Co. to open up a bit and recount some stories for the sake of engaging the crowd and entertaining them more. Mick comes across as being DULL.

Re: Jagger: Man of Few Words
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 30, 2005 18:19

I agree, neptune. On the other hand I don't like preachers and storytellers like Bono at a rock show but as a great entertainer he should talk a bit more and especially interact a little more with the audience. In this respect he can learn a lesson from people like Robbie Williams or Bryan Adams.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 30, 2005 18:20

Wouldn't disagree with you on this one. I'm also a little disappointed these days with how little effective "engagement" there actually is, which given the length of time they've been playing and the sheer number of/variety of places they've played in (especially repeatedly over many years) - does seem a bit strange. It would indeed be nice to see them "open up" just that little bit more; it really wouldn't take much on their behalf and it would almost transform some of their shows into from merely "great shows" into "very special" events.

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: December 30, 2005 18:33

he opened up a bit in Toronto, and on Twickenham Flicks DVD.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: December 30, 2005 18:59

He was very genial in Portland last November. Welcomed all of the women from Canada and dedicated 'she's so cold' to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-30 19:10 by nikkibong.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: December 30, 2005 19:08

for me, the less talk, the better.......keep the momentum going....just move on with the set.....

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: December 30, 2005 19:13

I don't care really, I just want him to say: on the drums...Charles Robert Watts!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: December 30, 2005 19:15

And on additional guitar, jussssssst for tonite:
Mr. Mick Taylor! On the bass, as a guest: Bill Wyman!

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: December 30, 2005 19:16

Yeah!!

Posted by: Pedro99 ()
Date: December 30, 2005 19:19

Keith and jagger both spoke about playing in Connecticut- the new stadium etc. at the East Hartford show.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: December 30, 2005 20:04

I was surprised by how polite Keith was when he spoke in Hartford. Lot better than "good to be here, good to be anywhere" that we usually get.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: December 30, 2005 20:09

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> for me, the less talk, the better.......keep the
> momentum going....just move on with the set.....

Yeah...

Talking too much just "pulls the rock momentum down"...

Jagger never was a big talker at shows that I can remember...

This said, as the Stones EVOLVE, if they evolve, they are necessarily going to have to transition somewhat from a "full-force" rock band to more of a country-rock-blues show...

And in that environment Jagger might use some talking to "downshift" from a rocker to a blues number to an acoustic ballad, tell a few "storyteller tales" etc. to set the songs up...

But traditionally that never was the Stones way.... the policy was always: 1) Come on strong with a rocker... 2) Keep 'em dancing and breathless... 3) Leave them wanting one more song...

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-30 20:10 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: December 30, 2005 20:16

He opened up a bit in Albany recounting the last time the band had visited was in 1965 and asked if anyone knew what happened to the old theatre.

I think a few well-placed anecdotes could bring a new dimension to a show format that has begun to get a bit stale. Sadly, the music and the presence of the band itself can't keep people glued to their chairs or dancing in the aisles.

But you have to be careful with the storytelling. Whatever element of cool Bono ever represented has been entirely eroded by his preaching and showboating as an "activist." Bono should take a page from a real activist such as Ghandi or Rosa Parks and learn the lesson of humility.

That said, the Stones wouldnt lose a thing by making the occasional nod to Brian, recounting throwing TVs out windows the last time they were in town, or whatnot...just so long as it was short, sweet, and relevant.

"You look like a leper dressed as Sergeant Pepper"

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 30, 2005 20:20

He usually adds some local stuff in. In Europe he always tries to say a few things in the local language. And eg in Durham he greeted both the Duke and UNC crowds.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 30, 2005 20:31

In france, Mick always talk few words in french, a language he speaks quite fluently with a soft british accent. But most important is him to say, as
Potted Shrimp wrote above : " and on the drums : Charrrrliiiiiie Watts.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 30, 2005 23:49

Skip the BS and play.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 31, 2005 00:24

As it is the shows are less than 2 hours, take away any chatter and you are out of the show faster than the first half in football.

Date: December 31, 2005 00:46

The Stones are so used to playing in huge venues where too much talking would I think just get lost in the crowds.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: December 31, 2005 01:34

At the MCI show Jagger had more than a few words about the US Supreme Court. I didn't mind or find it preachy, it was kinda funny.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 31, 2005 01:54

Always loved his chat between songs on the 75/78 tour real stoned,still think he does it right ,just not so crazy like then.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 31, 2005 01:58

A lil between song chatter is cool but prefer Mick keep the throttle wide open with the music.

ROCKMAN

Date: December 31, 2005 02:09

He did talk a lot at Altamont and Knebworth thought.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 31, 2005 02:38

Mick said in a fairly recent interview that if he was honest, it was sometimes difficult for him to remember exactly which place they were playing in! Given their schedule, I don't find that too hard to comprehend. I wouldn't set much store by too many of his remarks about a particular place - in a few instances, yes, but generally no. He's pretty hard and focused. If you are ever near the stage, it's very noticeable that he rarely ever makes eye contact with anyone in the audience (which is not true of Keith). Maybe he fears that if he does or if he involves his head too much, he'll lose the plot as the front man and blow it? I get the impression that he stays intentionally aloof - probably now by habit.

Date: December 31, 2005 04:14

if the stones would play....she said yeah...for example on this tour you dont wanna hear a long story by jagger,going to tell you why she said yeah....he aint bruce ''right'' lots more ''fun'' and humor''it would be fuc- ing boring if he told us about the good old days, do you really want that?its stupid ,and i dont want a five minute intro to lets say rough justice''right''the wild ones never had long stories,

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: December 31, 2005 06:34

I am not saying that Mick has to ramble on in between songs and tell us long stories. What I suggest is that he open up a bit and say a couple things to the crowd, perhaps a VERY SHORT twenty second story about a song or recounting a memory in a city that they're playing in. For instance, in Chicago, it would have been great if Mick had mentioned that they recorded tracks in Chess Records 40 years ago, and then play a song from those sessions such as Time Is On My Side or It's All Over Now. I guarantee that the Chicago crowd would have went nuts over such a creative and thoughtful interlude. These are merely suggestions, but I really do believe that the audience would like to hear Mick and Co talk a little more during their shows. Two ot three very short stories or anectdotes would suffice for an entire show; that's not asking much. I just got the feeling that Mick didn't connect with the crowd and was content to sing his songs, get the hell out of there, and go to the next town.

Posted by: Pussy Whips ()
Date: December 31, 2005 08:42

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> And on additional guitar, jussssssst for tonite:
> Mr. Mick Taylor! On the bass, as a guest: Bill
> Wyman!
Stop teasing!

Date: December 31, 2005 09:04

you need to hear shattered philly 78..........5min intro...buuuuttt crazy and wild we dont want no grandpa stories.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 31, 2005 09:15

Hey ain't it a laugh when the Jaggered man can't remember what album the song is from....

"Eeerrrrrr we gunna do one called Sweet Virginia...Ow Baby!!!...can't remember what albooom it's on ....it's a slow one from our newie called Bigger Bang..is that right Keith?....Bill...Bill...ahhhhh he ain't in the band no-longer but he would know....Bill Bill...ahhhh it dont really matter...Here we go... Come come on down Sweet Virginia...

ROCKMAN

Date: December 31, 2005 09:25

neptune if ya ask you wont get!!!i might understand you,i have to say its a wonder these gents doing what they are doing,jagger is never the same ,and always say whoeeeeeeeeee all right, and likka.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 31, 2005 14:16

Mick spoke a bit in Houston. He talked about baseball, football and made reference to the home state of the Bushes. I forget which song followed but it wasn't Neocon!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2033
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home