Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: strange lyric lines.
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 14, 2006 17:09

He must be a perpetuum mobile then

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 14, 2006 17:14

>> You know, I am not Led Zeppelin fan <<

yikes, what does Led Zeppelin have to do with it?!
sorry: i'm quoting Robert Johnson there, but lemon squeezing crops up in a lot of classic blues numbers
and i reckon you can figure it out on your own. :E
(meanwhile, not everything in Stones lyrics is connected with smack - really truly.)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-14 17:16 by with sssoul.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: August 14, 2006 17:20

SadnessInEye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, maybe I'm wrong, I just was listenig Monkey
> Man and that thought of heroin and lemon juice
> mixing came in my mind.
>
> 'you can squeeze my lemons til the juice run down
> my leg'
>
> You know, I am not Led Zeppelin fan, actually I
> don't understand to this line, what does it mean?
> Is it some kind of sex play, or what?

DUH , Now you're catching on

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: August 14, 2006 17:26

I think they mean his "Male Thing"....Or like my Grandma calls it, his "Love Pump"....

Posted by: SadnessInEye ()
Date: August 14, 2006 17:50

with sssoul Wrote:
> >> You know, I am not Led Zeppelin fan <<
>
> yikes, what does Led Zeppelin have to do with it?!
>
> sorry: i'm quoting Robert Johnson there, but lemon
> squeezing crops up in a lot of classic blues
> numbers
> and i reckon you can figure it out on your own.
> :E
> (meanwhile, not everything in Stones lyrics is
> connected with smack - really truly.)

Thanks for informations, I didn't know Robert Johnson until now, I just found out, that Led Zeppelin did cover version of Traveling Riverside Blues.

You know, my english is not perfect like yours, so sometimes I seem to be a little confused.
Anyway, I know that not everything in Stones lyrics is connected with smack, but Monkey Man surely is. It was such a idea and I admit I was wrong.

Date: August 14, 2006 17:56

>> I just found out, that Led Zeppelin did cover version of Traveling Riverside Blues <<

ahh see, i am such a non-fan of Led Zeppelin that i didn't know they'd covered that tune.
but it was all worth it if it introduced you to Robert Johnson, who is sure worth getting acquainted with.
and your English seems fine to me!

- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-14 17:57 by with sssoul.

Date: August 14, 2006 18:05

Yeah SadnessinEye, your english is fine. I think MONKEY MAN is kind of an abstract song...some drugs and some sex in it.....The lyrics are GREAT but a big mix of different things IMHO....

Posted by: SadnessInEye ()
Date: August 14, 2006 18:23

Yeah Monkey Man is marvellous, especially that starting riff, its really really great.

You know, I know (sounds weird) Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, shortly stones roots, but not Robert Johnson, so I'm gonna get some songs of him, thanks for hint.

Date: August 14, 2006 18:38

SadnessInEye Wrote:
> Yeah Monkey Man is marvellous, especially that
> starting riff, its really really great.
>
> You know, I know (sounds weird) Chuck Berry, Muddy
> Waters, shortly stones roots, but not Robert
> Johnson, so I'm gonna get some songs of him,
> thanks for hint.

Remember that Robert Johnson only recorded 29 songs so EVERYTHING is on 1 or 2 CD's. I got the 2 CD box set years ago but maybe it's been changed now to all fit on one CD (but probably not). For so few songs his influence has been GIGANTIC on the Stones as well as Led Zeppelin and Eric Clapton...Good luck (don't expect great sound quality.He was recoded with one mic in a hotel room I think. Way back - 1930's ??)

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: August 14, 2006 19:17

Monkey man also means gay-man. Or at least had that meaning as well in 1969. That solves the mystery of the lemon squeezer.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: August 14, 2006 20:14

... well, heres the slant folks... flea bittin monkey, = opiate scratching......
and,,, you need to add a dash of lemon to 'persian' produced heroin to activate it before injecting, to change the ph for one to feel the effects,, which afterwards would warm up anyone who was startin ta kick.. in essence,,/im a cold pizza, i could use a lemon squeesor (heroin)

Date: August 14, 2006 20:16

LoFL: i love going around in circles ...

- Keith

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: August 14, 2006 20:23

.. aint the earth flat?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 14, 2006 20:33

Why, do you think, they don't seem to be interested in writing lyrics like this anymore? Even when mick occasionally tries out the soul- or spirit-searching mode nowadays, the lyrics tend toward the moon/june/spoon/tears/years/mouse/in a house sort.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: August 14, 2006 20:35

i think it's time for this anonymous user to step forward and reveal himself. The public demands to know!

Posted by: MeanMrMustard ()
Date: August 14, 2006 21:06

What about Winter with the line "and all the restoration plays have gone 'round"

What exactly is a "restoration play"?

Posted by: skl127 ()
Date: August 14, 2006 21:14

For my money - and I have listened to this lyric a lot on headphones - it is
'kissing cut in cans'

Makes sense as the song mentions the movies!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: August 14, 2006 21:29

SadnessInEye Wrote:
>
>
> You know, my english is not perfect like yours, so
> sometimes I seem to be a little confused.
>

This seems like a good time to say, as an American, it's nice to be a part of a community with so many people from all over the world, and I appreciate it that everyone uses English...everyone here is much better at English that I would be at your languages...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-14 21:32 by texas fan.

Date: August 14, 2006 21:37

MeanMrMustard Wrote:
> What about Winter with the line "and all the
> restoration plays have gone 'round"
>
> What exactly is a "restoration play"?

Yeah, I've wondered about this one too. It seems to fall alongside the troubadors headed for Bombay.

Restoration plays are the English plays written and performed in the period after the Restoration of the monarchy, with Charles II. During the years under the Protectorate, the Puritan govt. had closed the theaters as sites of immorality and, worse, insurrection. The plays which followed were witty parlor dramas vs. the bloody sort of stuff that had gone on previously (like Shakespeare). What this has to do with the end of winter and wanting to be in California, I have no idea.

Date: August 14, 2006 23:36

i always vaguely thought of those Restoration plays as referring to phoney behaviour in his circle of acquaintances -
you know, the same old games he was already tired of in Doncha Bother Me.
but then, i've always thought kissing cvnt in Cannes is pretty clear, so don't mind me. :E

- Keith

Date: August 15, 2006 00:21

"Winter" is an altogether strange song: there's also the "bell, book, and candle"--the elements of the ritual of excommunication--which for some reason mick has been "burning." One can certainly burn a book and a candle, though for different reasons, but a bell? And why?

If we want to move on... how about the "footloose man"? Why is he footloose and is he same guy who's bleeding at the end of the song?

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: August 15, 2006 00:25

withssssoul, I understand your claim that the line should be understandable litteraly, but if we go for metaphor, then really I don't see the problem with 'troubadour" as a metaphor for hippies - colourful clothes, travellers, singers, poets? Isn't it accurate?
Patience, as soon as univ year starts I'll get the scholars on the job... :-)

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: August 15, 2006 00:31

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, if anyone here writes creatively, they know that words just kinda flow sometimes and the way they arrange themselves on the page/screen does not always make sense but they just hang perfectly together and take the reader somewhere else.

In esotericism one of the great tests is to contemplate the true meaning of a word, not as in the dictionary or root (i.e. latin) meaning but, ummmmmmmmmmmm, this is difficult to explain............. a bit like the symbol represented within it, as each word orignated from a symbol.

The true science of language and names has been lost to modern humanity, apparently it makes modern linguistics seem like child's play.

SD

Date: August 15, 2006 00:38

Otonneau my dear, i am profoundly patient! this is a way way old thread that someone resuscitated today.
and i don't insist that the line should be literal - i'd settle for comprehensible. :E
i still find it a stretch to imagine Mick calling hippies in general "troubadours";
and if he meant specifically the more musical/poetic type of hippie, we still have the problem of which ones of them were killed en route to India.
i mean: in such a great lyric it would be nice if something made sense in this line :E

meanwhile: Bell Book & Candle is the name of a play and film - maybe that's what he burned. :E

- Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-15 00:39 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 15, 2006 00:55

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The phrase "Bell, book, and candle" refers to an archaic method of excommunication for one who had committed a particularly grievous sin. Apparently introduced around the late 9th century, the practice was once used by the Roman Catholic Church. This ceremony involved a bishop, with 12 priests, reciting an oath on the altar:

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 15, 2006 01:04

people ask me, is it really true about what they say over there in Texas people? Im like yeah, you know when you go through the cross roads you have to worry about some bloke running around with a f*cking chainsaw!

Date: August 15, 2006 18:46

>> Why, do you think, they don't seem to be interested in writing lyrics like this anymore? <<

smile: lyrics like what - ones that make no sense? :E
ahem, i mean: to my ear they still have plenty of great lyrics - not invariably great, but still plenty great.
try Back of My Hand, just for one recent example - evocative & nonobvious images, meaningful social commentary,
sounds as natural as breathing and lies right on the beat - what more could one want?

- Keith

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: August 15, 2006 20:41

Not a stones lyric...
but a line that has always tickled me is from - 'Jailbreak' by Thin Lizzy
...Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak, somewhwere in this town!

....maybe it's me being picky but I would have thought the obvious place to look would be the town jail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-15 21:07 by undertheradar.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home