Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
have you met any of the stones?
Posted by: monkey_man ()
Date: December 26, 2005 21:13

have you? would be interested in some entertaining stories. i haven't met them so far. haven't tried. since they are protected like the crown juwels on the tour i think i'll never meet them.
but i got a real interesting story....a friend of mine-who doesn't like the stones much- works sometimes for a security service(löwen security).in june 2003 we were talking about what do do at the weekend. he said that he isn't free on friday because he got to go to work-stones in leipzig! Backstage.so it was kind of funny because i was also about to go leipzig. after the show i left the field very close to the stage and met him. later we talked about our experiences. he saw them only a couple of minutes before the show started. the only thing he noticed was that they were very calm. they didn't say anything.

Re: have you met any of the stones?
Posted by: Jacke ()
Date: December 26, 2005 21:51

Nope but I had a few drinks with Bobby Keys, Blondie Chaplin Darryl Jones and Bernard Fowler at Grand Hotel in Stockholm 2003...

Date: December 26, 2005 22:54

great. what did they tell you about travelling with the stones?

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: December 26, 2005 23:09

I sat right next to Charlie in the Parlis Orly airport one time , he was reading a John Grisham novel. Somehow I couldnt bring myself to talk to him, he looked quite frail and a very shy person. But in case he ever looks at this,I want to say how much I love him as a musician, he is one of the greatest drummers ever in rock n'roll, the Stones would never have reached the heights they did without this wonderful man on the kit, and only a very few of his beloved Jazz drummers even come near to the quality of his playing.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 26, 2005 23:19

Still trying....and I'll break thru one day.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: December 26, 2005 23:21

no...but i wouldn't mind hangin' out with Keith....have a toke...and listen to some pre-war blues

Posted by: Jacke ()
Date: December 27, 2005 00:41

monkey_man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> great. what did they tell you about travelling
> with the stones?

We talked about alot of things that night but the seemed to think that they had the greatest jobs in the world.

The most hillarious thing was when two american girls in their early teens came up to our table and asked me if I knew The Stones (I was dressed in a long black leather coat and jeans and black cowboy boots and a leopard bandana and black pilot shades). By that time I had had quite a few pints with my new friends so I just said - Of Course. And Darryl and Bobby and the others almost fell off their chairs laughing when i got to sign autographs for these young girls. So somewhere in the States there are two very lucky young girls who has got my autograph on the same bar napkin as Bobbys, Darryls, Blondies and Bernards...

=o)

Posted by: Puzzle2424 ()
Date: December 27, 2005 00:50

I get to meet the Stones about three times a year. I own an Italian restaurant near Los Angeles, CA and I tell them they can come in anytime on the house. I saw them twice this year, before the Anaheim show and before the Hollywood show. They say they will come in to eat after the day before the Inglewood show. When they come in, I eat with them and they talk about their concert experiences. It's quite fun.

Do you know that scarf that Keith wore during the Hollybowl concert? That was a gift of mine to him. He loves that scarf.

Anytime you want an autograph or something, drop me a line and I will only have you pay for S&H. I will ask them to change the setlist around, it's getting quite boring. They should play more songs from the Bigger Bang album.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 27, 2005 00:59

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-10 00:24 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: kait ()
Date: December 27, 2005 01:23

i met taylor before his concert here in austria. he signed
some covers and the poster from this date for me.
the first time i run into wyman was before the soundcheck of a
rhythm kings concert and i was the only one who were allowed to
make a photo with him, had a short conversation too.
unfortunately he signed only his solo-stuff.
the second time i met wyman backstage after a rhythm kings-concert,
a friend of mine had to make some photos for the press. i was with
him and had a backstage-pass. [www.stones.at] (you
have to scroll down at the end)
as everybody knows, watts and his wife are very interested in horses.
here in austria there is one of the biggest horse exhibition in
europe. my daughter is a very good rider, and so we went to this fair.
as we came to the exhibition hall i didn't believe my eyes. watts and
his wife were sitting in the vip-lounge. after i made some pics,
i organised a pen and a sheet of paper and went to watts lounge,
the security didn't give a shit about it. he was very kindly as i
asked him for an autograph. later i saw him walking through the fair
and nobody recognized him-smiling smiley

Posted by: Pedro99 ()
Date: December 27, 2005 01:52

I haven't but a friend of mine meet Mick Jagger on a beach one time in Saint Barts.His fanily had a house next to Jaggers in Saint Barts. My friend was alone and Jagger was walking up the beach in sweats and a baseball cap. They struck up a friendly conversation about how both their families were vacationing. My friend never let on that he knew who Mick was. Mick asked my freind what his name was, were he lived worked etc. Then Mick said he played in a band at that point my friend said - Yeah I know who you are. Mick then invited my friend and his family to dinner with him , Jerry and the kids. They had a great time and never discussed the stones or music during the night.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 27, 2005 02:39

Yep. Wood and Taylor. Stood next to rest of them. Met Lisa, Bernard Chuck and Bobby. They were very nice.

Date: December 27, 2005 02:51

Pedro, thats a great story!

Date: December 27, 2005 02:54

Ill bet Mick is a really great guy when its not business or dollars involved.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: December 27, 2005 06:37

I've met Keith twice and Ronnie once.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 27, 2005 07:58

Puzzle,

What is the name of your restaurant, and what city is it in?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 27, 2005 08:07

I don't know if you can say I "met" him, but I shook hands (he extended his left hand, at that) with Ronnie at his art show reception the night before the Thanksgiving show last month in Denver. I also got my Steel Wheels baseball cap autographed in large cursive all the way across the brim just as he was going to get into a vehicle.

We later went to catch the Tim Ries Rolling Stones Project at the Dazzle bar, having heard that Ronnie was headed there. Couldn't get tickets to the show itself, so we hung out at the bar. Bernard and Chuck came through the bar a few times. We chatted with them a bit, took photos with them, and got autographs on bar napkins. All very nice and down to earth people. Woody came out to the bar a couple of times, but he had his security with him.

After the show, he again was in the bar area with his security. My brother had talked with Ronnie's wife and son at the art show. They are also great people, very nice. So my brother and I went through his son to ask him to sign a couple more items, mine being the Onstage Boxholder pass for the first San Francisco show on November 13.

It was all great fun and something I will remember for the rest of my life. And I'll always be able to say that I shook hands with a Rolling Stone.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 27, 2005 09:17

Ronnie came up and shook mine and my buddy's hand after the post-show party (it was actually an album release party for Peter Wolf) that was after the Stones' Orpheum gig in '02. That and a sit-down (sax in hand, no less!) with honorary Stone Bobby Keys before a gig he played with Levon Helm in SF a few years ago.

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: December 27, 2005 09:38

I got autographs from Ronnie, Keith, Bill Wyman and Charlie outside their hotel in Chicago in 1978. They were all very nice and Keith and Ronnie thanked me for asking for their autographs!

Posted by: KYRIAKOS ()
Date: December 27, 2005 13:12

Ronnie with Jo in Athens September, 15 1998 one day before their concert in Athens.Intercontinental Hotel at the reception. Just a nod and a hello. He was returning to his room late at night. I didn't want to bother him any further.

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: December 27, 2005 14:13

I met Ronnie several times in 87/88, with Jo and the late Chuck. Very nice people. Jo even sent me a photo of myself in front of the stage where The Gunslingers played.
I met Taylor some years ago and he was a sweet guy.
Chuck L. I met at The Hard Rock Cafe in Atlanta on the Voodoo Lounge tour. nice guy.
Bernard, Blondie, Darryl and Lisa I met in Paris on the Licks tour.
Bill I met in Oslo a couple of years ago, and we talked for half an hour. Very friendly guy who signed a dozen of records.
I shook hands with Mick on stage at The Olympia on the Licks tour, and I high fived Keith once on the Licks tour.
All of this are nice memories to me.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: December 27, 2005 14:39

I was backstage and met Mick for 15 minutes and was in the same room as Keith and Ron in 2002

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: December 27, 2005 14:43

"I was dressed in a long black leather coat and jeans and black cowboy boots and a leopard bandana and black pilot shades"

HAHAHAHA. seriously ???

was it for a laugh or is that your usual going out atire ?

Posted by: DCChris ()
Date: December 27, 2005 16:42

I´ve met them all.
Charlie: very shy
Mick: first shy than very sympathic
Ronnie: Booze
Keith: talked during the whole night...than we had a little walk around the block
very very nice ! we became friends....met him several times and sometimes I think he recognizes me....

Date: December 27, 2005 18:09

DCChris how on earth did you managed this?????

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: December 27, 2005 18:13

I met Mick Taylor before a concert in Paris in 1998 at a Jazz festival and talked to him/interviewed him for a fanzine for about an hour. Nice guy, not too bitter about his post-Stones situation. He confessed that he did compose Moonlight Mile and didn't get credit for it. He signed his solo album cover as well as the cover of Welcome to New York '72.

I met Charlie Watts at the end of his concert with his Jazz band at the Blue Note in 2001 or 2002 in New York. He was pretty tired but he still signed a few autographs to some true Stones fanatic. He signed me a copy of his solo album. Seemed like a nice guy.

Posted by: DCChris ()
Date: December 27, 2005 18:23

DCChris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I´ve met them all.
> Charlie: very shy
> Mick: first shy than very sympathic
> Ronnie: Booze
> Keith: talked during the whole night...than we had
> a little walk around the block
> very very nice ! we became friends....met
> him several times and sometimes I think he
> recognizes me....
>
I became friend of JC and Freddie so I was Backstage and in the same hotel
on every tour since 81...

Posted by: fxc1 ()
Date: December 27, 2005 18:25

Met them all many times

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 27, 2005 18:27

met someone at a Christmas party last week who says he "met" Keith the night before the Seattle '75 show. He was at a restaurant that it turns out the Stones were dining at that night. He goes to the men's room looks over at the urinal next to him and...lo and behold, guess who's taking a pee next to him?! I asked the guy what he said to him - he confessed to having a locked jaw. not even a pee(p).

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: December 27, 2005 18:29

humanriff77:

Well done for not bothering Charlie. He was reading a book, you let him be. That's considerate.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home