Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Any tips for LA please?
Posted by: Star ()
Date: December 26, 2005 13:52

I'm planning to go to Inglewood Forum on the March 6th gig and wondered if anybody has any tips for the area? I've never been to America before and should be staying in Downtown LA and possibly hiring a car. Will it be safe enough to drive to the gig then back to Downtown after? Also, does anyone have any tips regarding interesting or best places to visit during a few days trip?

Thanks,

Star.

"Till the next time..."

Re: Any tips for LA please?
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 26, 2005 15:34

Downtown LA is not the place to stay if your only event is the Stones show at the Forum. You would be better off staying near the airport (cheaper) or West LA (nicer). Both are closer to the Forum. You can definitely drive yourself -- it's all pretty well-traveled streets to the venue from the 405 freeway, but make sure that you know where you are going. It is a tough neighborhood, so you want to make sure that you don't stray from the right course. Definitely pre-plan your route so that you know the streets, etc.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 26, 2005 19:10

I would not recommend walking around Inglewood at night unless you are good at dodging bullets. Crime central.

Get yourself a little hotel in Santa Monica close to the beach and make the short commute on I-5.

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: December 26, 2005 19:26

Um, I have to offer contrary words to the previous posts.

The I-5 does not connect Santa Monica and Inglewood. The freeway Midnight Toker must be thinking of is the 405.

Also, the "dodging bullets" reference really makes Inglewood seem like a violent town. I've gone to the Forum plenty of times, and have parked for free on surrounding streets without incident. And I have never felt unsafe walking to my car alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-26 19:33 by Pserchia.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: December 26, 2005 19:48

I would agree that downtown LA isn't the place to stay. I'd stay near the airport if you are just flying in to see the show and flying right back out. If you plan to stay for a few days and see some sights, I'd stay in Santa Monica.

And despite how safe Pserchia feels around the Forum, I would heed drbryant's advice and know your route so you don't stray off course.

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: December 26, 2005 19:59

Just thought of a place that every music-lover visiting Los Angeles should experience: Amoeba Records, at the intersection of Sunset Boulevard and Cahuenga. It's the musical hub of the city, and a great place to hang out. (Bring lots of money.)

And if you HAVE to see the Hollywood sign, the Walk of Fame and the footprints in the cement at Graumann's Theatre, you can easily get those sights out of the way after leaving Amoeba.

Sunday, March 5 is the date for the 2006 Oscars, so there will be plenty of hoopla in the Hollywood & Highland complex, where the Kodak Theatre is located.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 26, 2005 20:37

By the way, depending on how you feel about these things, you can also try (i) amusement parks, like Universal Studios, Disneyland, etc. or (ii) the beach. This sounds crazy, but some people like to attend tapings of US tv shows (tickets at tvtickets.com are free). Weekends are great because you avoid traffic and can drive all over the damn place.

Posted by: letitbleed ()
Date: December 26, 2005 21:34

There is a great hotel downtown called the Bonneventure/Westin. If for some reason you need to stay downtown, it's a nice place with everything you need. The Forum is close to the airport though. The area around the Forum will be fine during an event. It's hard to get lost since the Forum is on a main drag.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 26, 2005 22:39

Santa Monica is a nice place to go. Get a car, stay by the airport cheap, or stay anywhere else, but not downtown LA. Unlike most other downtowns, LA downtown is just a business center. After 5pm everything is closed. No people. not even homeless people. Hardly any restaurants. And LA is not easy to get hold of in a fly in fly out visit. Go to Santa Monica or Beverly Hills (too slick for me) or Hollywood and at least get hold of a part of what they call greater LA. By the way LAX i.e. LA airport area is totally boring but cheap for hotels.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 26, 2005 23:16

Actually over 10,000 homeless people live in downtown L.A.

Excellent series of articles about it here

[www.latimes.com]

Inglewood is supposedly a high crime area but I have taken the bus to the Forum and back and done some walking in the area without any problems.

Amoeba is a great place to hang out, they actually have a stage and the occassional free gigs (including touring artists etc)

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: December 26, 2005 23:16

If the weather is good go to Zuma beach (buy ya house!)and go body surfing, one of the best places on the planet, and if you have a car go and find Bobs old house. Is Moonshadow Mexican restaurant still in Malibu? It was 20 years ago I was there but what a great place, I dont suppose Black Flag still play at private parties at Latigo these days smiling smiley

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: December 26, 2005 23:50

What?? No you cant stay at my place! Aha ok.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: December 27, 2005 00:06

definately rent a car...this city is way too "spread out" to walk or take cabs.....and the posters who said check out Amoeba Record store (in Hollywood) are right....give yourself plenty of time to look around in there (it's a lot to take in at one time)...and Inglewood is a high-crime area...so watch yer back!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-27 00:10 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: December 27, 2005 04:33

pack heat. and wear good sneakers so u can run very,very fast.

Date: December 27, 2005 04:53

Anyone who tells you that Inglewood isn't dangerous at night is nuts. Alot of gang activity and huge crime rate.

Take JJ Flash's advise. The bigger gun, the better!!

Posted by: Star ()
Date: December 28, 2005 22:31

Thanks for all the advice folks,

Star.

"Till the next time..."

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 28, 2005 23:14

Dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually over 10,000 homeless people live in
> downtown L.A.
>
>

Stones fans all of 'em, once rich until the tour prices caught up with 'em.

Date: December 29, 2005 00:35

Take a machette with you to cut through the smog.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: December 29, 2005 10:44

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Actually over 10,000 homeless people live in
> > downtown L.A.
> >
> >
>
> Stones fans all of 'em, once rich until the tour
> prices caught up with 'em.
>

Now that's a HOOT!

I would not stay in Inglewood. Night of show might be okay but before and after Inglewood is no place for a newcomer.

Downtown LA of the evenings is boring.

If it's fly in for the show only a hotel at the airport is okay.

A stay in Santa Monica would add some to your visit.

Or live a little and stay someplace on the Sunset Strip. A nice Hyatt across the street from the House of Blues. Also the CHATEAU MARMONT
8221 Sunset Boulevard Hollywood, is a happening place with a lot of history.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: December 29, 2005 12:17

Yeah give me tips now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home