Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Benmond Tench instead of Chuck Leavell ?!?
Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: December 25, 2005 14:46

So folks what do you think about that:

Should Chuck be replaced by Benmond Tench from the Heartbreakers?
I mean Chuck plays different styles, of course, but he plays very soulless. He plays all the way an very antiseptic sound.
Benmond Tench knows also a lot of different styles to play, but it seems to <me that he plays with more passion than Chuck.
So let me herar your opinion.

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Re: Benmond Tench instead of Chuck Leavell ?!?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 25, 2005 14:57

Tench is an exellent keyboard player, not no a leader in any way. Chuck's part in the Stones is not to play brilliant piano, but to lead the band.

Mathijs

Date: December 25, 2005 15:03

Mathis, you're concerning the leadership of Chuck in the band, but listen exactly to structure of the Heartbreakers sound. It seems to me that Benmond is the heart of their plying, a kind of leader in their songs. So perhaps he could also be a leader for the Stones?!
It's also a fact that Chuck's high time's over. It was with the Allman Brothers Band many years ago....

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: December 25, 2005 15:12

Don't know about Tench, but I love Mike Campbell's play!

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: December 25, 2005 15:28

Leave Chuck alone.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 25, 2005 17:05

Benmont IMo would be the ideal keybiard man for the Stones. The fact that he might not be this "leader" type person is only a plus. Anything to ratt;le Keith into taking up the reins again. While they're at it, maybe they can hire Mike Campbell too...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 25, 2005 20:39

I think a huge part of the problem with Chuck is the sound he gets from his electric piano. Sometimes is sounds like one of those player pianos on Main Street in Disneyland. I wonder how much better it would sound if he played a Steinway or a Yamaha grand.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 25, 2005 20:47

Must agree w/ Chelseadrugstore here, CL's presence allows for complacency from anyone prone to complacency. I know McLagan is unlikely to be asked back at this stage, but he'd be my vote.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: December 25, 2005 20:48

I definitely agree with this !! And Chuck isn't the only "souless" member of the band...

When you analyze it, as has been pointed out many times, "in Keith's own words" that the Stones are a "corporate affair". In other words, the entire band has become "souless"...

But, not to worry, because we have the "soulfull" members of IORR to straighten it all out.

So, this housecleaning of course starts with souless Chuck who hit his peak with the Allman Brothers and we've had to suffer thru Chuck on these horrible tours like Voodoo Lounge, B2B, Forty Licks, all the while we all know that he needed to be replaced by that soulful keyboard monster, Benmond Tench...

NEXT... Ronnie's gotta go, so we're replacing him with that "soulful" Ted Nugent. Plenty of angst and attitude and "fire in the belly" from the MotorCity Madman

NEXT... Keith's fingers are blowing up and his hair implants are falling out, so it's time to replace this fogey with some "soulful youngblood", so Keith's out and C.C. Deville is in...

NOW, that's a soulful frontline: Ted Nugent and C.C. DeVille... they'll be playin' right in time with Bendmon Tench

NEXT... Mick Jagger at 64 is ready for the rest home. We replace him with Ricky Martin who brings "latin soul" from a place most of us can only imagine. New dancing moves to ......

ORRR... we can just "replace the audience"... as Anthony Kiedis observed 10 years ago "the average stones audience is a bunch of lawyers and CPA's who can't rock anymore"... perhaps it's not the piano player that's "souless" but the lackadaisical audience.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-25 20:58 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 25, 2005 20:53

To clarify, I agreed w/ the keyboard part of C.Drugstore's remarks. But CL was way mixed down at the '05 shows I attended (compared to other tours since '89)

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: December 25, 2005 21:14

Benmond is a monster keyboard player and would be a great addition to any rock and roll group!!!

Date: December 25, 2005 21:19

I'm in total agreement with you bassaleman. BT is able to create a unique sound, which will bring fresh blood into the stones arrangements.

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: December 26, 2005 02:39

Leave Chuck alone, he is a great musician, the band members love him, and he plays an integral part in this group. Yes, he is WAY DOWN in the mix this tour which must delight those who HATE HIM! He is so not offensive, never hogs the spotlight, stays in his place and on the rare occasion when he steps to the front to take a bow, WHAM, he gets bashed! Really uncalled for folks!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 26, 2005 03:02

Chuck is a very talented musician, no doubt. He suffers by comparison to Nicky and Stu, though.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 26, 2005 04:08

Bring back Billy Preston.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 26, 2005 06:22

Why not have a rotating cast of piano players?

Richard Clayerman, Roy Bitten, Geoff Downes, The guy who hides behind Aerosmith, and howabout Reese Wyans?

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: December 26, 2005 09:01

Why not replace ALL these lummocks with the greatest rock'n'roll piano player of all time: Elton John !

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: December 26, 2005 10:44

i must say that chuck has stepped to the front to take a bow at all 5 shows i've seen on this tour so far...i'm actually a little embarassed for him when he does.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 27, 2005 21:53

I like Chuck. Always been an avid supporter of his time with the band. But, I think I detected something this tour (got some good closeup looks at him at a couple of shows) - he does not seem very engaged and interested on this tour. Reasons might be:

1) He's barely audible (yeah, I know...that's a "good thing")
2) His influence on the setlist is obviously reduced if existent at all

I'm more thinking it's more #2 than #1 - can you imagine? How exciting can it be for him (or any of them!) to play the same old, been-there-done-that every night? Great paycheck, I'm sure, but surely the level of interest must wane for a serious musician like Chuck.

If the Stones continue on stage beyond this tour, you heard it here first that Chuck will not be a part of it - and it will be HIS decision.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: December 28, 2005 00:53

My boyfriend bought Chuck's biography " Between Rock and a Home Place" for me for Christmas because he knows I read everything related to the Stones; I just started it but in the very beginning Chuck makes it clear that his first love is NOT the music and touring with the Stones! It's his love of forestry and conservation issues and his home, affectionately called the " Home Place" which is an huge forest plantation and gaming reserve in central Georgia. Chuck is a very centered guy who does not have a huge ego so I find it amusing that some love to point out that Chuck takes a bow with the band! SO WHAT??? He takes the bow with the brass section, back-up singers and Daryl Jones AND Mick, Keith, charlie and Ronnie which is perfectly appropriate. I doubt that he's bored, even though the set list IS BORING! Chuck amuses himself nicely; if you watch him you'd see that he likes to inter-act with the fans, dance around and just have fun. Why this urks some people, I'll never know! He DOES have a personality!

Date: December 28, 2005 01:00

i agree with everthing you said, Debra. but something does seem different with his demeanor this tour - have you been to a show and watched him? he seems to be forcing himself to look amused - in the past I think was genuinely amused.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 28, 2005 01:17

I have a boot,Its The first voodoo Lounge europe show,If I remember,its in Stockholm,Fuc- ing Chuck is counting,1,2,3,4 before every song!And I hate the boot because of this,If the fuc- er would only did it in the ''wild''Ramones way!!!How I miss ''Stu"""!!And Mac is still around ,and ,stupid Chuck,Well wild he sure aint.

Date: December 28, 2005 01:29

By me he gets bashed ,because of that 1234 shit if he does that hes on the fore front ''right''Ithink hes a good secu nice person and a good musician ,dont wanna be rude to him,buuuuuut,mac,stuw and billy did the job ,much better.I also think chuck doesnt look like a stone,he should do his 1234 thing in the dead,but jerry is gone.

Date: December 28, 2005 01:34

his count-ins aren't his idea (this was primarily a Licks tour deal, I believe), rooster - that's a band (mick/keith/charlie) decision.

Date: December 28, 2005 01:46

T&a he did it on the V&l Tour also,Icant sy it bit I will;;chuck is a kind of Mac Donalds ,person,givin a bunch of ex-alcoholic-drugs addicts some balance and structure thats why they love hi '''take 4 pills go wild and ,chuck will say everythings ''right''1234

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: December 28, 2005 01:54

Bring in Mr Jerry Lee.

Date: December 28, 2005 02:00

yeah the killer!and whats Hopkins doin these days?

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: December 28, 2005 02:38

rooster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yeah the killer!and whats Hopkins doin these days?

not a lot.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: December 28, 2005 02:43

i don't think hopkins would work laying there on stage.

Date: December 28, 2005 03:20

is he in a bad condition then?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1456
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home