Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Australia
Posted by: andrew9148 ()
Date: December 24, 2005 10:46

my sources say its not going to happen. sorry to all the aussies out there. apparently U2 have taken all the concert dollars from people's pockets

Re: Australia
Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 24, 2005 10:48

The worst is not the obviouest. BV still list the Australian shows as " rumoured". I cannot imagine the Stones not touring in Australia.

Date: December 24, 2005 11:14

When did U2 tour ? The Stones audience is not the same as U2. So, I am sure there are rooms for the Stones in your country.

Date: December 24, 2005 11:19

u2 touring australiaa last week of march 06, first week april 06.

Posted by: pjb ()
Date: December 24, 2005 11:37

likewise in new zealand march 17th 18th 3 weeks later rumoured stones shows.u2 sold 2 shows 35000each one in an hour.95 tour we all had tickets early december,hope like hell these fareast tour dates happen.whats the hold up.

Date: December 24, 2005 12:04

It's going to be tough. But they like that kind of challenge.

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: December 24, 2005 12:10

Sometimes I have the feeling that more and more somebody in the Stones management realize that they overdid it a bit and pull the break. For the Stones this tour will be still intresting, but for all others including fans it's bankrupcy all for the local promoters who are willing to agree to such runious conditions.

Date: December 24, 2005 12:13

Maybe you are right. But in any case, Stones management will have to announce the dates rapidly, unless they might face the same issue in Japan as well.

Date: December 24, 2005 12:59

Andrew,

Made a rapid count. Australia : 400,000 tickets. New-Zealand : 100,000. Mr.Cohl has maybe trapped the Stones. Come on Mick, reacts.

Posted by: Tom Petty ()
Date: December 26, 2005 11:27

Hi andrew9148 - this is pretty sad news for us aussies and kiwis - is your source a reliable one?

further, what's the concensus of others out there who may have a clue?

Thanks

Date: December 30, 2005 10:03

I think it is reliable. they are still talking apparently. we will definitely know one way or another in a week or so. it will be a surprise to me if they come

Date: December 30, 2005 14:22

if they don't then it seems the folks from down under are screwed - all good tickets alsewhere sold too....not just your average shit happens scenario!

Posted by: atip ()
Date: December 31, 2005 02:41

If you say that U2 has taken the concert dollars from down under, then the Stones need to cancel Buenos Aries, Mexico City, and Monterrey. Those dates are all close to the U2 dates, too.

If the Kiwis and Aussies are 'price sensitive', the Stones should drop the ticket prices to compensate. From the article about ticket revenues, U2's prices are less than the Stones' and U2 is a bigger draw right now (at least in the US). I was kinda hoping to make the trip south of the equator.

Posted by: MJK ()
Date: December 31, 2005 04:44

I tend to agree, U2 havent been d/u for nearly a decade whilst the Stones were here for licks just a couple of years ago . People forget that we are a population 20 odd million if the potential for BIG BUCKS is not here who ever it is they just dont come. Remember BOWIE fans 17 yrs was a long time between concerts.

Date: December 31, 2005 11:40

U2 sold out 400,000 tickets. I do not know if INXS ever topped that enormous selling.Remains that they have not still announce a date. Maybe Australians and New-Zealanders will have arenas shows : 3 to 4 venues with audience btw 15-20,000.Thanks Mr.Cohl.

Date: January 1, 2006 08:25

Arena would be great. like last time. who wants stadiums? its the music not the crap

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 1, 2006 18:19

This is a stadium tour. And Australia is very hot for tickets. U2 could sell a lot more shows but their schedule did not allow any more shows. If the Stones find the right timing, ticket price and places to play, they will do some great shows down under as well. But how about Melbourne? Will the Commonwealth Games be a show stopper? When and for how long?

Bjornulf

Date: January 1, 2006 18:39

Bv,

If U2 have no sparetime in their schedules, April and May are not busy for the Stones at the moment. If they take one month off, assume May, before landing in Europe, which is compulsory for a great leg in our continent, they have plenty of room in April. At the good price level, they could fill 10 dates in Australia and New-Zealand if those 2 countries are hot for tickets.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 1, 2006 19:29

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But how about Melbourne? Will the Commonwealth Games be a show stopper? When and for how long?

The Commonwealth Games should not interfere with the Stones if they go there in April. The games are scheduled for March 15-26.
[www.commonwealthgames.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-01 19:52 by erikjjf.

Date: January 1, 2006 19:49

Touring schedules are tougher than people can understand. In order to make it to work the Stones need to arrive to NZ and Australia directly from Japan. No delays. They have a large crew to take care of, the stadium tour, and they can't just stall 200-300 people in the crew for weeks down under without taking the cost. Australia and New Zealand will happen just before Easter 2005 i.e. first 2-3 weeks of April - after Japan - unless there are contract or logistics problems.

Bjornulf

Posted by: salar ()
Date: January 1, 2006 21:40

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a stadium tour.

Who said so ?

In the US it is half arenas or even more and at the PC they said this will be a stadium and arenas tour...even clubs were mentioned by Mr.C(ash)....

salar

Date: January 2, 2006 10:52

there is sport on at the stadiums in sydney and melbourne in April. they will have to work round that if they come. it will be too hard.

Date: January 2, 2006 11:00

so andrew is this the crux of why your "credible" source feels Oz won't happen?

Date: January 2, 2006 12:54

Even the USA leg of the tour is a stadium tour. But as the US market is the main market they spice it up with secondary shows in arena's. They did the same in 1998. In fact that was when it was invented. First large venues, then secondary markets with arena in MSG, Portland, Hosuton, Montreal, Chicago. Secondary markets does not mean low on cash or people. It means either a great market like NYC or Boston, or a market with cash but not so many people, like Atlanta, they under-estimated the need so two shows arena, or LA fill it up stadium then also sell to the money people in arena-style venue Hollywood Bowl etc.

I am sure the Stones have a policy on this tour to play in front of as many people as possible, within the concept of the ON STAGE stadium stage concept. So far I have seen no arena shows outside the US (Puerto Rico is US sort of). I think they keep the arena stage in the US to use it there for the closing tour part in Sept/Oct 2006, but that may change of course.

Bjornulf

Date: January 4, 2006 23:44

Posted on Rocks Off by Deathgod:

[www.heraldsun.news.com.au]

[www.geelonginfo.com.au]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2006 01:01

GEELONG!!!!...Geez hope so only 5 mins from The Bunker!!!

The Stones rolling to Geelong?

Come on, Mick, give Geelong a go.

Thursday, January 5
REBECCA TUCKER

THE Rolling Stones are on tour - New York, Paris, London . . . how about Geelong?
Thanks to the AFL, Melbourne's two venues big enough for the British rockers, the MCG and Telstra Dome, are booked up in April - the only free month on the Stones' touring calendar.

Geelong has the solution to bring the rock band to Victoria.

Skilled Stadium is free from AFL commitments on April 22 and 29, paving the way for the Stones.

And Geelong Mayor Peter McMullin and Cats chief executive Brian Cook are keen to roll out Skilled Stadium's red carpet for one of the world's most popular rock bands.

``We'd do whatever we could to facilitate such an event,'' Cr McMullin said.

``Obviously, if other venues aren't available, we have got an excellent venue here.''

He said the Geelong Major Events team would discuss pursuing the option with the Stones' Australian promoter, Paul Dainty.

A Dainty spokeswoman this week would not comment except to say nothing had been confirmed for the Australian tour.

Cr McMullin said he believed anything was possible so long as the city had a go.

``Look at the Chiba Lotte Marines - if we hadn't talked to them, they wouldn't be coming here,'' he said about the Japanese baseball team about to visit Geelong for training.

The enthusiasm for the Stones was prompted by calls from the Geelong Advertiser yesterday.

Cats chief Brian Cook said the concert could be a possibility on either April 22 or 29, when Geelong plays away games.

The Geelong Falcons are scheduled to play at home on April 29 but Mr Cook said that could be changed if the promoter was willing.

``It would be a hell of a coup to get the Stones, there's no doubt about that,'' he said.

``It would be fantastic for the community, great for tourism, local hotels and shops, providing people stayed overnight.''

Mr Cook said the stadium's capacity for a concert would be around 25,000, excluding part of the seating area where the stage would back and including seating on part of the grass.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: January 5, 2006 05:01

At least they've fixed the road between Melbourne & Geelong, the Westgate's going to be a bit crowded if they do have a concert there tho.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 5, 2006 12:52

Geelong... ? sounds almost as peculiar as Härnösand.
Yup yup Terry Jagger comes to the bunker??
We pray that so be it. smiling smiley

Date: January 5, 2006 13:09

If there isn't an appropriate venue in Melbourne that is available in mid-April, it makes good sense to play in Geelong instead.

[travel.yahoo.com]

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 5, 2006 13:15

If Rockman lives there, its gotta be the right place.
Thanks for map, Erik: now I now why Terry drinks Melbourne Bitter.

...Mr. Scania Man: Would you tell me when you find a cheap flight to
Downunder Land, ok? Interview disc soon on its way btw...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1386
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home