Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
how we first heard the stones.
Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: January 16, 2006 19:39

This has probably been done to death, but whatever.

I was walking down Chinatown in NYC looking for bootleg CD's, i knew of the stones and some of their songs.

i bought 40 Licks, for 5$ as a bootleg, and ever since, though, I have payed for the albums.

I listened to it for the whole bus ride back to toronto.

Re: how we first heard the stones.
Posted by: theboys ()
Date: January 16, 2006 19:50

I was just thinking back when I first got 'stoned' (no, not that way) - you know when some thing or some song or when Mick really gets in your head - it was definately 'Some Girls' - Beast of B, Miss You, Walk Before I run, Shattered/shadoobee!. . .that 'garage band' sound, captured in studio - and Mick so, Mick (falsetto, love it)

I think ABB catches that 'rough-around-the-edges' raw garage band aura once again - you know, it's all about the groove, thanks Keith! Can't wait 'til next CD - they still got it. . . . .

Posted by: Messhead ()
Date: January 16, 2006 19:55

I'm in my early 30's, so here's a reference for you. It was either Marilyn McGoo or Dione Warwick who introduced the Stones video for She's So Cold on Solid Gold. I was like 9 or something, I was hooked. I also remember the first time I played Shattered in the jukebox at the Ground Round, my mother was horrified at what I had discovered.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 16, 2006 19:56

ears

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: January 16, 2006 20:30

Some time in 1964. My older sister put on a the single "Tell Me". I was only about 7, but even then I knew they were different from the rest.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: January 16, 2006 20:48

I saw High tide and Green Grass at the public library and my mother checked it out for me because at the time I was still too young too check out records...3rd grade, 8 years old, never looked back! Thanks Mother!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 16, 2006 21:09

The never heard before "Satisfaction" riff in '65, wow what's that?

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 16, 2006 21:25

Get Off My CLoud... back in 66 or 67 whenver it was getting HUGE airplay. I could never figure out the words. I ahve to admit though, The Beatles were bigger to me then, but I was only in elementary school. Our teacher used to lead us in singing "Elenor Rigby" in was in our music book (no foolin)

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: January 16, 2006 21:46

When I was a kid, I used to hang out with one of my cousins a lot and my uncle always had either Ruby Tuesday, JJF or Brown Sugar blaring out of his stereo. As I got a little order, I heard Emotional Rescue and actually thought that it was garbage! lol Years later, Satisfaction and SMU were played at a high school dance and I really started to like them. Finally, I saw commercials for the Steel Wheels tour and bought my bosses' tickets which lead to my first show and the rest is history! smiling smiley

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: January 16, 2006 21:47

Emotional Rescue is garbage (excpet for All About You and Indian Girl)

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 17, 2006 06:18

i was 11 and i saw a newscast of the stones show at soldier field - it made an impression on me - soon afterward, i heard shattered and miss you on the radio - some of my first experience with rock and roll (lay down sally by clapton was my first - i changed my mom's radio setting one day and that was on - i never changed it back)

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 17, 2006 07:02

I was 6 yrs. old and heard "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" on the radio station in my parents 1957 Chevrolet. That was 1965. The "I Can't Get No" stuck in my head forever.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 17, 2006 10:59

I was given a weird gift: the 45 single of "Have you seen your mother baby" and I have not looked back.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 17, 2006 11:01

Chelsea, are you (soon) in your 50s?
...Sounds a little like the Stones start of my youngest uncle, born 1956.
Please just don´t ask if you find the Q Too Rude, ok...

Posted by: Juiced In NJ ()
Date: January 17, 2006 14:03

saturn57 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some time in 1964. My older sister put on a the
> single "Tell Me". I was only about 7, but even
> then I knew they were different from the rest.

I walked into my neighbor's house ( I was 14) and the Stones were on the Clay Cole Show lip synching "Tell Me". They were frequent guests on that show in the mid 60's. My first show was 2 years later and my 35th is tomorrow night. Woo hoo!!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 17, 2006 14:32

My farther always played there first record and especially Mona. I loved that, and still do, raw R 'n B sound.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Infamy ()
Date: January 17, 2006 14:36

I don`t know exactly when I first heard the Stones, but I remember when I first really took notice of their music:

I think it was in 1983-84. I was at a very late party and some older friends of mine were playing Sweet virginia from Exile. Something happened to me that early morning. I was definately Stoned! I was just 17 at the time, and this sure was something special.

Later on, in 1990, we drove 1300 kilometers(each way!) to see the Stones in Oslo. We were totally blown away! The blast at the opening, Mick on top of the stage for Sympathy, the fireworks. We had never seen anything like it.

Gothenburg june 10. will now be my seventh consert. I love the Stones!

Ray
15 and counting. No stopping. Stockholm next.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: January 17, 2006 14:40

I was about 11 around 65, Listend to Rodio Luxemburg at night and heard the refrain
"ha ha he he get off of my cloud"

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 17, 2006 15:11

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-10 00:36 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 17, 2006 18:10

driving in the car with my parents in the mid '60s....and hearing this insane person screaming out of the little am radio speaker: "I CAN'T GET NO!!!"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 17, 2006 20:33

My older cousins played the Stones, Beatles, Herman's Hermits, Supremes, etc. all the time when I was a kid in the 60's. I just dug the Stones the most.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 19, 2006 19:37

Whoo not yet Bro LOL. was born in '70. But still got that single for Xmas.
You know how it goes: my dad decided to give me the "current" Stones hit. he got the hit right, but it came like 10 years too late haha. Probaly got it in a salesbin..

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 19, 2006 20:00

After my cassette machine ate "The Momas&Papas Greatest Hits" tape, my mom took me to the store to buy another cassette. Had to decide between McCartney's "Back to the Egg" or Some Girls. I didn't stop playing Some Girls for months, eventually got the McCartney album(VERY medicore) and never replaced the M&P!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 19, 2006 20:18

listening to

a heart of stone
what a shame
last time

and picking 'm up on my guitar, all relatively easy for chords, the last time riff was very significant, and the base of wyman in "what a shame" i found
interesting.

what year would that be ?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 19, 2006 20:22

My mum always played Last Time 45 when I was little. In my teens I hated the 80's Stones. Didn't get Some Girls at all etc. etc. thought they were a bunch of washed up old farts. Then I got the first album at a booty for 50p and played it to death. The rest, as they say is history cause I love em!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 19, 2006 20:44

I was 14 in '68, as the youngest of 9 childeren there where plenty of records in the house.
And then I found in my sisters collection We Love You/2000 Lights Years From Home and Beggars Banguet incredible.
I start buying records my self with Llet It Bleed.
First concert 1973.

I had to admit that my first record was Michelle/Girl from the Beatles '66 not that I had the money it was present for my Birtday.

Nico

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 20, 2006 00:24

hej nicos are you greek?
dýri iceland

Posted by: letitbleed ()
Date: January 20, 2006 00:56

I was 13 and Some Girls had just come out. My older brother, who was a Beach Boys junkie, had the album. He didn't think much of them but he had a friends that did. He went to OSU in Columbus.
Anyhow, I heard Angie on the radio and thought that was the coolest song in the world. Soon I heard Satisfaction and JJF. I played his SG album and saved money to buy an album, it was HOT ROCKS. I was hooked. The next record I got was Made in the Shade. Black and Blue after that.(I loved the cover)
Then ER came out and was a full-on addict. Luckily my father was transfered to NYC the next year and I was able to access their music much easier. Then I got the big 4, and proceeded to buy a guitar.
Later in life I got to hang with the band (one night) b/c my band was signed to Virgin records. We had a choice between Columbia or Virgin and I convinced the rest the band to go with Virgin b/c of my love of the Stones. Unfortunetly the label sucked for us and now I work in a wigit factory. True story.
The Stones Party was at the American Leagion in Hollywodd after their Rose Bowl show in 94. I got to meet the guy's in a smoked filled vip room through a Virgin rep. They were eating shrimp and smoking a bunch of pot and cigarettes. A young Leo Decaprio and Julliete Lewis were sitting with Mick.
On a side note, that guy I knew from Virgin gave me a bunch of vinyl pressings from studio sessions during the late 70's, early 80s. I still have them but have not broke them out in over 10 years.
I haven't spoke to my brother in over 12 years but I still thank him for turning me on to the Stones.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 20, 2006 01:04

Nice story, letitbleed!
Is it allright to ask if the LPs you got, contains music not available on the collector's market?

Posted by: RedLight ()
Date: January 20, 2006 01:25

Oh man, have you got all day??

When I was a kid, my mother would drive my grandmother to the grocery store every Friday, because she never learned how to drive... this was common for women of her generation, they simply didn't see the need to drive because cars were expensive during the Depression, and most families only had one.

So during the summer when school was out, my sister and I would accompany them on these shopping trips, and my grandmother would give us each 1 dollar to go to the drugstore next to the grocery store. This would occupy us while they shopped. Back then in the rural South, drug stores would have a soda fountain and sell things kids liked such as toys, comic books, candy and 45 rpm records. So... my sister talked me into spending my dollar on a record instead of my usual candy and comics books (and those early Spiderman comic books I bought back then are worth big bucks today)... I had no idea what to buy, because I was only 8 years old and I didn't know any popular artists except Elvis, Johnny Cash, The Osmond Brothers and The Jackson Five (both groups had cartoons on Saturday morning)...

So she suggested a record with a red tongue on the label... I liked the red tongue so I said okay... it's only 79 cents and I'll have money left over to buy candy. The record was "Brown Sugar" and the b-side was "Bitch." My older sister (aged 12) knew that "bitch" was a word that was forbidden, so she told me to hide the record from my mother. We go home and play the record... I was bouncing off the furniture and the walls... had never heard anything like that in my life!!! I just loved the energy.

Well eventually my mother found the record and she confiscated it!!! Her explanation was that she "isn't letting me support their drug habit" WTF? First of all, I was only 8 years old... I barely spoke English and I had no idea what a "drug habit" was... I vaguely knew what the word "drug" meant because I was given St. Joseph's chewable aspirin if I had a fever. I had never heard of recreational drugs and wouldn't hear of them for several years later when I was 13 years old. She didn't offer any additional explanation, which I now view as poor parenting on her part. I love my mother, and while her perspective on the world may seem perfectly normal to her, to me she's batshit crazy.

So the Rolling Stones became forbidden fruit, and I was determined to get that music again. So along comes Christmas, and the $10 my rich uncle would send my sister and I. One night, my father asks me if I want to go with him to a JC Penney store while he buys a lawnmower. I said yes, and off we went. I had my $10, and it just so happened that the double-lp "Hot Rocks" could be bought for less than $10. So I ask my father if it's okay if I buy the album and he says "it's your money, buy whatever you want." There I had it!!!!! It was now an officially sanctioned and legal purchase of a Stones record, and I did not hesitate to inform my mother of this when I got home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-20 01:28 by RedLight.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1169
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home