Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Finding Frank - @#$%& blues- the documentary
Posted by: tomcat ()
Date: December 17, 2005 15:03

Last night on our canadian national network they aired a documentary entitled, "Finding Frank", produced by a Halifax filmmaker. The documentary centrered around a search for Robert Frank, the famous but reclusive director/photographer of projects such as "@#$%& Blues". It was fantastic and very interesting, with the filmmaker trying to track down Robert Frank by travelling to places like London, where he interviewed Mick Taylor, New York, and Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, where Frank has a summer home.

The interview with Mick Taylor was very interesting and probably done last summer in a pub in England. Mick did not look in the best of shape, bloated, hair askew, and appeared to be quite drunk. He shed some light on the process used by Frank in the filming and what went on "behind the scenes." The filmmaker tried to interview Mick Jagger and Keith, however, both declined.

While in New York, the filmmaker tracked down the very camera that Frank used to film the concert footage that was included in the film. Very cool. No footage was included in the documentary although I missed the first ten minutes.

They also tracked down Maysles (sic.) and interviewed him about Frank and Gimme Shelter.

THey finally track Frank down in New York in some nondescript apartment, however, he refuses an on camera interview. The filmmaker gets a hand signed picture and an offer to help him with a documentary that will be filmed in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, along with an Apple from his fruit bowl. Very cool...

Did anyone else happen to see this film? If it comes on again, I'll try and tape it.

Re: Finding Frank - @#$%& blues- the documentary
Posted by: Esky ()
Date: December 17, 2005 15:54

sounds very cool....would love a copy if someone amazingly taped it...!

Date: December 17, 2005 18:44

If the network that aired it is CBC then I will check my local listings, seeing as the only benefit to living in a third-tiered hamlet near Canada is British and Canadian telly.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: December 17, 2005 18:50

I've looked at Google and found nothing about the docu.; I've searched CBC and found nothing about the docu. Please provide network and channel and your location in Cheeseland. Ta...

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Imagination ()
Date: December 17, 2005 18:51

I'd love to have seen this. I'm in Canada, so I'll check my CBC listings. Thanks.
Imagination.

"Pass it on" (Keith talking about the music)

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 17, 2005 19:29

Great photographer... too bad things between him and the stones didn't end well.

cc

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 17, 2005 20:16

He did a very interesting movie post CS ("another kind of road movie..." as he said introducing them at a double bill in '88) "Candy Mountain" w/ Dr John, David Johansen, Joe Strummer, & Tom Waits. Frank alluded to his soundman Danny Seymour as "someone else who was got lost along the road." And his classic 1958 book "The Americans" (w/ Jack Kerouac's text) provided great images for the Exile cover.

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: December 17, 2005 22:56

Is this the doc that you are speaking??
[www.imdb.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2551
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home