Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ROLLING STONES JUMP THE SHARK...
Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: December 16, 2005 20:30

Forty-five thousand copies sold of 'Rarities' out of 300,000+ copies made, an appearance on 'Days Of Our Lives,' and BROOKS & DUNN as an opening act...

I knew this album and tour was the end.

Re: ROLLING STONES JUMP THE SHARK...
Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: December 16, 2005 20:32

I mentioned the jumping of the shark on a previous thread about the soap opera. that is really sad. These decisions must be made when Keith is hammered.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: December 16, 2005 20:36

what the fug does 'jump the shark' mean ?

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: December 16, 2005 20:45

It means that something that once was
great has reach a point where it will
decline in quality and popularity.
I can't agree with that statement in this matter, of course.

Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: December 16, 2005 20:49

I thought so, too, but now I have to admit that I'm so surprised by the huge demand of tickets in Scandinavia. It's a Stones-fever, no less! I expect a new tour in 2008-09. But a new album, maybe? Stones, U2, Madanna, Williams and Springsteen are the Champions League right now. Macca, Coldplay and Green Day in the UEFA-cup.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: December 16, 2005 21:10

andy js Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > what the fug does 'jump the shark' mean ?

Specifically, I think it refers to the sitcom "Happy Days". That is, this once great 70s comedy hit the wall with the episode where Fonzie jumped a shark. More details, anyone?

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: December 16, 2005 21:28

Fonzie was on a motorcycle and the shark was in a big fish tank. It wouldn't have been as exciting if the shark had been lying on the beach gasping for air and Fonzie just hopped over it. Might have been funnier, though.

I have to say my faith in the Stones is starting to wane. Rarities sucked (at least compared to how good it could have been), the setlists suck, the opening acts suck (except for QOTSA, who are on a whole two shows), all the crappy commercial projects like Days of Our Lives and Stones wine and horrid Thanksgiving T-shirts suck.

Lucky for the Stones they still have a great new album out and put on a great show. It's just so frustrating that they won't play more of the new album. Every great performance they put on is severely diminished by their boring and unimaginative choice of songs. I think my patience with the boring setlist is what has really jumped the shark, or at least reached the point of no return.

Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: December 16, 2005 22:04

My recolection of the "Jump the Shark" episode had Fonzie being pulled by a speed boat while on water skis and using a ramp to jump a shark contained in a large circular net in an ocean inlet.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 16, 2005 23:04

They are having a fantastic year, great new album, big tour. I mean come on rareties was never ever going to be a big seller. My bet when all said and and done ABB will be multi platiunum and the 05/06 world tour will be the highest grossing tour of all time, So yeah they really are slipping.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: December 16, 2005 23:11

=====It wouldn't have been as exciting if the shark had been lying on the beach gasping for air and Fonzie just hopped over it. Might have been funnier, though.======

No it would have been much funnier if Fonzie had not made it over the net and fell into the water with the Shark....leave it up to your imagination what would happened next.

I was never a Happy Days fan....it reeked.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Date: December 16, 2005 23:15

I agree with the Official Jump the Shark Book that the Stones jumped their shark in 1983 with the "Undercover of the Night" video.

Mick and Keith playing make believe El Salvadorian good and bad guys...or as Mick said of Keith's role at the time.."Keith plays a baddie and I play a goodie".

Wretch. Up until then they made good performance promotional clips with silly antics and sly looks between Bill and Charlie. The total damage was done in 1985 when they the filmed "Too Much Blood"....that really sucked.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: December 16, 2005 23:17

Goldsmith Wrote:
> My recolection of the "Jump the Shark" episode had
> Fonzie being pulled by a speed boat while on water
> skis and using a ramp to jump a shark contained in
> a large circular net in an ocean inlet.

You are right, he was definitely on waterski's, not a motorcycle. There was another episode where he jumped over something else, I think it was a bunch of motorcycles, not sure. That was when Evil Knevil(sp?) was popular. Then Jaws came out and everyone was on the shark bandwagon.

Jaws is my favorite movie of all time! That scene with Quint telling about the Indianapolis gets me everytime. I don't know if he was nominated for an award for that performance, I hope so. (If Marisa Tomei and Mira Sorvino got one for their crappy performances, then Robert Shaw certainly deserves one)

Ok that's off topic. I just love to talk about Jaws though.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: December 16, 2005 23:29

CindyC Wrote:
> >
> Ok that's off topic. I just love to talk about
> Jaws though.
>
>A Shark has lifeless eyes, like a dolls eyes. Until he bites ya and you hear that high pitched scream.

Date: December 16, 2005 23:45

dj Wrote:
> andy js Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > what the fug does 'jump the shark' mean
> ?
>
>
> Specifically, I think it refers to the sitcom
> "Happy Days". That is, this once great 70s comedy
> hit the wall with the episode where Fonzie jumped
> a shark. More details, anyone?

The Stones and Dj are correct. It refers to when a show or act runs out of good material and try anthing to keep it going.
I believe the phrase was coined by a guest of Howard Stern's , I don't remember his name. Stern liked the Analogy so much he frequenty uses it and has made it quite popular. IMO I think Happy days jumped the Shark long be Fonzie did. He topped out at five feet with heels and he was the tuffest guy in the city. Cut the SHIT.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: December 16, 2005 23:46

go to jumptheshark.com if you are truly interested

by the way, Fonzie kept his leather jacket on whilst water skiing/jumping the shark!

Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: December 16, 2005 23:47

Shaw deserved an Oscar for for his role as Quint in "Jaws" but sadly he wasn't even nominated that year (I think George Burns won for "The Sunshine Boys"). Anyway, as far as "Jaws" is concerned, rumor has it that he was the writer that famous USS Indianapolis scene.

Date: December 16, 2005 23:49

---He topped out at five feet with heels and he was the tuffest guy in the city----

God, it was such a stupid show. This miniature Italian thug scaring these 50's era high school wimps....AAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: December 17, 2005 00:06

Gut, you are so right.

Date: December 17, 2005 00:11

Goldsmith Wrote:
> Shaw deserved an Oscar for for his role as Quint
> in "Jaws" but sadly he wasn't even nominated that
> year (I think George Burns won for "The Sunshine
> Boys"). Anyway, as far as "Jaws" is concerned,
> rumor has it that he was the writer that famous
> USS Indianapolis scene.

Goldsmith, that is really interesting. I will have to look into that. Thanks.
If you're interested.. There's a great book called "In Harms Way" about this. It really takes you through what those men went through in the water. It's an unforgettable story.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 17, 2005 04:55

Jackass Wrote:
> I mentioned the jumping of the shark on a previous
> thread about the soap opera. that is really sad.
> These decisions must be made when Keith is
> hammered.

he's obviously drinking more than we ever imagined, then!

Date: December 17, 2005 06:33

Yeah you guys are right. They've jumped the shark. If I were you I would stay away from all things Stones, especially tickets to their upcoming concerts. I feel the need to lower myself to see them a 4th or 5th time in '06. I'm more than willing to fall on that grenade and "take one for the team", as it were.

Posted by: Pedro99 ()
Date: December 17, 2005 06:51

CindyC Wrote:
>
> I think it
> was a bunch of motorcycles, not sure.

It was a bunch of garbage cans and then the Fonz wiped out and slid into Arnold's chicken stand... and then you had to wait until next week to see if he was okay ( 2-parter)

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: December 17, 2005 09:10

Pedro99 Wrote:
> CindyC Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > I think it
> > was a bunch of motorcycles, not sure.
>
>
> It was a bunch of garbage cans and then the Fonz
> wiped out and slid into Arnold's chicken stand...
> and then you had to wait until next week to see if
> he was okay ( 2-parter)
>
>

That's the episode I was thinking of. You all are right, he jumped the shark on waterskis. And yeah, it was a stupid show, but I was like 8 years old when it was on.

Date: December 17, 2005 16:07

HOw about when they were on Beverly Hills 90210 in 94.

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: December 17, 2005 16:41

Shit my kind of thread...Stones & Jaws in the same sentence...2 of my favorites

"Yall know me, know how I earn a living. This aint like going down to the pond catching blue gills or tommy cods no this is a big fish, swallow you whole, a little shakin' liitle tenderizin' down you go. I value my neck more than 3,000 bucks chief, I'll find him for 3 but I'll catch him and kill him for 10. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing. So think it over you dont wont to live on welfare all winter, better anti up get your business' back on a paying basis. Ladies & Gentleman, Mr Mayor, Chief...."

Yeah Quint was a cool MoFo!!!

Posted by: Imagination ()
Date: December 17, 2005 18:46

Although I love the Stones and will until the day I die, I was very dismayed to hear about the soap opera thing. WHAT were they thinking??
Imagination.

"Pass it on" (Keith talking about the music)

Date: December 17, 2005 21:42

Macman15 Wrote:
> Shit my kind of thread...Stones & Jaws in the
> same sentence...2 of my favorites

Ok, now I'm going to have to go watch it again after hearing you guys quoting it. I don't know what it is about that movie, I can't tell you how many times I've seen it, but one day, I was watching it at home, and realized I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat completely mesmerized. So strange, I obviously knew what was going to happen as I've seen it so many times, but there I was enraptured. That's a great movie that can do that to you.

In college, I did a report on how important a role the soundtrack played in that movie for a film class. Next time you watch it, pay attention, the music gives you clues to what's going to happen, and a few times the music tries to trick you. Very excellent. Got an A!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-17 21:52 by CindyC.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: December 18, 2005 01:38

I think the Stones is still the "shark"...

"I knew this album and tour was the end"

Maybe, Jack Knife. But IF you're right it will be a truly glorious end. Think, a tour which will attract more than 4 million people worldwide for all these high ticket prices (probably the top grossing tour in history). Even if the freguency of the tours in the last years is so high (4th round since 1994). A great studio album (ABcool smiley. An album which isn't the best selling record of the band, of course, but it sells better than some old studio Stones albums worldwide (DW, Undercover, Black and Blue and, if i remember correctly, IORR) despite the poor sales in US. Oh, man, i think this could be an ENVIABLE END for the 99,9% of the rock bands in the planet...

I think "Rarities" is unnecessary for everyone, except some hardcore collectors. Do you think the sales of this stuff could be creteria for something serious? I don't think so. Honestly, i don't know who the hell Brooks & Dann are. Probably they are @#$%&. So what? It's only an opening act. Lice Prince in the past...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 18, 2005 05:36

Jump The Shark CD- Tattoo You
Jump The Shark Tour- Babylon Tour

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 18, 2005 11:03

Keith interview Classic Rock Nov 2005.

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1640
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home