Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

For Guitar Players
Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: December 9, 2005 06:29

Lets say you want to put togather a guitar team for your band. Do you choose a team such as Keith and Mick Taylor where one guy plays rhythm and one guy plays lead and not much cross over or do you have a team like Keith and Ronnie where as they say "play the ancient art of weaving". Now we all know the debate about Mick verse Ronnie but how would you like to set up you guitar team?

Re: For Guitar Players
Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: December 9, 2005 06:46

Well since my lead SUCKS so bad I better take rythymn and divide the labor. Truth be told, I also enjoy chuggin away in the back ground anyway more than trying to play am mazing solo no one has heard before.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 9, 2005 06:52

Having predefined roles would be too limiting for me. I'd rather trade off as the song suits.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 9, 2005 13:27

Interplay like Keith with Ron, but with Mick Taylor's ability would be good! That said, Ron was pretty good in the early days!

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: December 9, 2005 14:23

ChrisM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Having predefined roles would be too limiting for
> me. I'd rather trade off as the song suits.

I agree.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 9, 2005 14:47

The setup that I think woks best (if you have two guitarrists) is a combination of both. Within a song you might have the two various guitars' roles well defined: one does rhtyhm and one does the elad work. Both you vary from song to song which guitarrist does what. Like that you get both people doing both at various times. The Keith/Ron thing is actually really hard. Because you have to start with the premise that the two people you have are as similar in style as Keith and Ron. Plus they have to know each others minds inside out.

Date: December 9, 2005 15:00

First I'm not into solos, I could live without every guitar solo ever played as long as there's a solid rhythm with a groove.

This said I think "the ancient form of weaving" is just another way of saying there are two guitar players equally bad and they both are happy you can't hear who plays what. Good players don't need "weaving", but since either Keith or Ronnie or both are permamnently drunk when playing on stage it's a good excuse for everyone making people think that's how it should be. Not even Keith talked of "weaving" until 1989/1990 (what was the exact year?). They just played what was necessary.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 9, 2005 15:06

LOL!! XXXX

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 9, 2005 15:42

Play with someone you can get along with musically (and personally). If you dig each other, you'll learn how to play together, which is most important. Don't look too hard for either options, you may be looking forever and be very disappointed in the end.

Date: December 9, 2005 15:43

I agree the legendary "weaving" stuff is a little annoying. I mean, they have some fine moments, but it's all a little vague.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 9, 2005 15:48

Actually, I once was jamming with a friend and at one point we were really “weaving” for a couple of seconds, and it was friggin awesome smiling smiley

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: December 9, 2005 15:53

F.U.C. you nailed it!

Date: December 9, 2005 15:57

Koen Wrote:
> Actually, I once was jamming with a friend and at
> one point we were really “weaving” for a couple of
> seconds, and it was friggin awesome

I know what you mean, but I don't hear that that often with the Stones.

Those Gipsy guitarists, they know how to weave between rhytym and lead.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: December 9, 2005 16:01

> This said I think "the ancient form of weaving" is
> just another way of saying there are two guitar
> players equally bad and they both are happy you
> can't hear who plays what. Good players don't need
> "weaving", but since either Keith or Ronnie or
> both are permamnently drunk when playing on stage
> it's a good excuse for everyone making people
> think that's how it should be. Not even Keith
> talked of "weaving" until 1989/1990 (what was the
> exact year?). They just played what was necessary.

Oh what a bullshit. And you describe yourself as a guitar player. I suggest you to find another instrument and an other band, because you don't really feel the essence of Stones guitars.

Date: December 9, 2005 16:08

Reptile Wrote:
> Those Gipsy guitarists, they know how to weave
> between rhytym and lead.

Or take one of those fingerpicking cats like Doc Watson who can even play rhythm and lead at the same time!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 9, 2005 17:03

I think that a band should be a band. Team work. Interaction. Always.

Unfortunately in most of the cases the singer and lead guitar are under the spot light and the others are there just to back up. In the worst of the cases there is the famigerate "one solo each" moment, as if to say: look they can play too, see? Well, I find these typical combos VERY boring. No matter who is on the lead, SRV, Clapton, Buddy Guy, Pat Methini ... this formula just stinks.

A band is something else. At least for me. The possibilities of a group of musicians cannot be limited to backing a vocalist and a guitarist. Musically I grew up on Mingus, Cannonball Adderley, the James Brown late sixties / early seventies live lps. And of course, the Stones. The groove is all that really matters for me.

Of course the border between groove and complete mess is often unfocused. You have to take risks to play this way, and often you make a fool of yourself.

I was listening to a 72 warm up jam by the stones called Jungle desease (correct?). Well, from the first 2/3 minutes one would wonder if these men could play at all, but suddenly it takes off to the stratosphere, you can't help turning the volume at the max and dance!

I find that these situations occurr when everybody in the band is an active part of the process. Ideas for variations have to come from everybody. This is what the weaving thing is all about.

C

Posted by: KYRIAKOS ()
Date: December 9, 2005 17:57

Yes liddas that was great!!! Tropical disease I think it was.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 9, 2005 18:18

Tropical desease, THAT's IT!!!

C

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: December 11, 2005 07:47

Keith and Ron. Forget the "weaving" tagline, when they were at the top of their game they had a lot of fun playing together. The 81 tour was a highlight, THEY blew the amps apart. KR was calling the shots onstage and the two of them crashing away was great, the lst tour where they could really go off and extend songs, take multiple solos, criss-cross each other. Before the giant video screens and the new "big show" style.

The straight away lead and rythym is boring. Taylor just kept playing blues scales.

wow.

Milo, NYC
You're not the only one with "micks demotion"

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 11, 2005 10:52

The straight away lead and rythym is boring.

agree and i think the old rythmguitar conceptis really out of the hwindow if you have other instruments like horns , harmonica etc.
I wonder if anybody would miss ronnie, listening to the total outcome, if he did not turn up for a gig.

best
richter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2101
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home