Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
semi OT: RIP David Sanborn
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 13, 2024 21:32

David Sanborn has passed away at age 78. Played with a huge amount of artists including the Rolling Stones (on Undercover). RIP

[www.cnn.com]

Re: semi OT: RIP David Sanborn
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 13, 2024 21:36

damn..... that sucks.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 13, 2024 21:45

Legend.

Amazingly gifted musician.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 13, 2024 21:48

RIP David. He played in David Letterman's band back in the day.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 13, 2024 22:04

DGA35
RIP David. He played in David Letterman's band back in the day.

Yeah I remember that...the University days. RIP David.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 13, 2024 22:09

Think i,m going sad.....

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 13, 2024 22:30

A great player. His C.V. reads like a who's who of popular music of every genre. He also made very underrated contributions to the title track of PRIMITIVE COOL and "Kow Tow" on the same album. I was sorry that he didn't record and tour with the Stones in the following years.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: May 13, 2024 22:33

And on Bowie’s Young Americans and that ‘74 tour.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 13, 2024 22:43

R.I.P.

We played this a lot in colllege:

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: May 13, 2024 22:55

RIP David.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 13, 2024 23:37

RIP David Sanborn - a wonderful saxophone-player - "Pretty Beat Up" is an underrated song by the Stones.

Date: May 13, 2024 23:48

His playing on Pretty Beat Up was marvellous. RIP!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 14, 2024 00:49

Was on Letterman very frequently. RIP.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 14, 2024 01:41

Tremendously talented. He played across so many different genres of music. Really left his mark on music.

Personally I have always enjoyed the Legends shows he did in 1997 (European Jazz Festivals) with Marcus Miller, Eric Clapton, Steve Gadd & Joe Sample.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 14, 2024 02:42

Didn’t he play on Too Much Blood?

Date: May 14, 2024 02:46

No, "Too Much Blood" featured Chops Horns from Sugarhill Records.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 14, 2024 08:26

More like Rest In Cheese. That dude mostly played a way to crassly commercial and "smooth" style of Jazz for my tastes. I'm sure he was a great dude, but honestly, I am much more moved by the passing of B-Movie legendary director/producer Roger Corman than I am of David Sanborn.

Date: May 14, 2024 10:22

Javadave
More like Rest In Cheese. That dude mostly played a way to crassly commercial and "smooth" style of Jazz for my tastes. I'm sure he was a great dude, but honestly, I am much more moved by the passing of B-Movie legendary director/producer Roger Corman than I am of David Sanborn.

Smooth?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 14, 2024 10:54

His solo on Pretty Beat Up is one of the finest things the Stones have recorded.

Mathijs

Date: May 14, 2024 13:01

A great player has gone. I saw him play several times.

Below again beautiful with one of my favourite guitarists, "The Unknown Dissident".

RIP Mr Sanborn. †

Date: May 14, 2024 19:55

Javadave

Well, that's a relief. I was afraid we had our first IORR obituary thread where someone forgot to be irreverent, insensitive, or classless. Thank Clapton one of us was on their toes.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 14, 2024 20:11

Rocky Dijon
Javadave

Well, that's a relief. I was afraid we had our first IORR obituary thread where someone forgot to be irreverent, insensitive, or classless. Thank Clapton one of us was on their toes.

Insensitive is right. The man passed away javadave no need to be demeaning over his death.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 15, 2024 03:54

It is a testament to Sanborn’s brilliance that he could make an amazing living off of “Kool Jazz” yet double-down and rock it out with the best of them like the Stones on Pretty Beat Up, a song I think is in the band’s top 3 for the 1980s.

A giant in his time who used to host a very cool and hip late-night jazz program on weekend radio as I recall. Anyone here recall the radio show?

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: May 15, 2024 04:23

He was also part of the great 10th Ave. Freeze Out horns…RIP

Date: May 15, 2024 05:52

stonesstein
A giant in his time who used to host a very cool and hip late-night jazz program on weekend radio as I recall. Anyone here recall the radio show?[/color]

The Jazz Show with David Sanborn introduced me to a lot of jazz players. Great show. So was Night Music, the TV show he and Jools Holland hosted. Great showcases both of them.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 15, 2024 09:26

Javadave

Obviously you don't appreciate someone's talent. Great way to express that.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 15, 2024 10:45

Is it him or Mel Collins on "I Think I'm Going Mad"? Either way, so damn tasty, sexy sax on a fantastic sounding track - each instrument, including vocals, so delicious. Mixed wonderfully, too.

RIP David

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-15 10:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: May 15, 2024 14:48

He also played on The Long Run by the Eagles (one of my ringtones).

RIP David

Date: May 15, 2024 16:02

Doxa
Is it him or Mel Collins on "I Think I'm Going Mad"? Either way, so damn tasty, sexy sax on a fantastic sounding track - each instrument, including vocals, so delicious. Mixed wonderfully, too.

RIP David

- Doxa

I believe it's Mel Collins on the track, though the released version was remixed during the UNDERCOVER sessions.

Date: May 15, 2024 17:11

timeisonourside.com has Mel Collins.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2049
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home