Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Kossoff Auditioned for The Stones in 1969?
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 4, 2024 23:19

News to me but maybe a subject matter expert here can shine a light. From a seemingly credible and exhaustive bio on Loudersound.

Another relationship was also suffering. Kossoff was not a prolific writer and had begun to feel excluded from the Rodgers/Fraser clique. Free’s new songs also needed a more rhythmic approach – not Koss’ strong point. Free’s engineer Andy Johns recalled Kossoff “getting embarrassed and uptight” when Fraser had to ‘teach’ him his parts.

One afternoon, he slipped away to audition for The Rolling Stones. But the job of replacing Brian Jones went to Mick Taylor instead. Koss crept back to Free before anyone noticed. It was years before the rest of the group found out.

[www.loudersound.com]

Re: Kossoff Auditioned for The Stones in 1969?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 5, 2024 02:20

Wow...never heard that before. I wonder if the rest of the group was pissed? Well, it was so long ago I'll bet it was all right now.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 5, 2024 08:15

A believable story, in my opinion. Free were quite the bluesy band at that time, and Kossoff was a definite young talent. Better than Taylor, though? No, not for me.

Posted by: stonesurvive ()
Date: May 5, 2024 11:15

........how about this...Roy Buchanan. an incredible blues guitarist, was asked to join the Stones in 1971..he turned them down!!!!

Date: May 5, 2024 12:28

Mick Taylor was asked to replace Kossoff in Free. He declined. Maybe that causes the confusion?

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 5, 2024 13:20

Roy's manager at the time has debunked the Stones audition story- apparently Roy liked to invent a lot of tall tales about himself. A very strange person but a great player.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 5, 2024 13:24

stonesurvive
........how about this...Roy Buchanan. an incredible blues guitarist, was asked to join the Stones in 1971..he turned them down!!!!
That is obviously not true because in 1971 Taylor hadn’t quit the band and there is no way they would have fired him to be replaced by that guy after Taylor’s contributions live and in the studio in 1969 and on Sticky Fingers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-05 13:25 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 5, 2024 13:34

No truth to any audition story's for replacing Brian Jones. Mick Taylor was recommended by Ian Stewart, a call was made to John Mayall, Taylor met the Stones and played a session with them, and that was it.

Mathijs

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 5, 2024 18:58

Mathijs
No truth to any audition story's for replacing Brian Jones. Mick Taylor was recommended by Ian Stewart, a call was made to John Mayall, Taylor met the Stones and played a session with them, and that was it.

Mathijs
WasRy Cooder ever considered as a replacement for Brian

Date: May 5, 2024 19:02

Taylor1
Mathijs

Mathijs
WasRy Cooder ever considered as a replacement for Brian

No. No one was but Mick Taylor.

Mathijs

Posted by: stonesurvive ()
Date: May 6, 2024 12:01

.................thanks for the correction about Roy Buchanan. Maybe it is likely that he was becoming so respected by many of his peers (including a live song with Hendrix),it just morphed into "oh yeah, I turned them down"????.I respect Ian Stewart and John Mayall, so that sounds more realistic.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: May 6, 2024 13:02

Marsha Hunt stated that she was the one who suggested MT to MJ. Then, Ian Stewart phoned John Mayall according to her.

Date: May 7, 2024 10:06

1963luca0
Marsha Hunt stated that she was the one who suggested MT to MJ. Then, Ian Stewart phoned John Mayall according to her.

What a bollocks.

Mathijs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1000
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home