Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Grace Slick about the Altamont show
Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: April 26, 2024 12:19

Grace talks about flying to England to plan the Altamont festival with Mick. That can't be right. Wasn't the whole idea of a free show in S.F. born while they were in the U.S. on the '69 tour?

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-26 21:14 by bv.

Re: Grace Slick remembers wrong
Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: April 26, 2024 13:14

Rock Scully who managed the Grateful Dead flew over to England to speak with the Stones about it, so it's possible others did too.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 26, 2024 16:06

Oh my, someone is wrong on the internets.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 26, 2024 16:09

It's possible she's forgotten, but unless you have evidence to the contrary why assume she's wrong?

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: April 26, 2024 16:33

treaclefingers
It's possible she's forgotten, but unless you have evidence to the contrary why assume she's wrong?

Good point. I'm probably the one who is mistaken. I've always understood the Altamont show was planned quickly, on the fly. Resulting in the problems. Maybe I'm wrong.....I thought I was wrong once ,but I was mistaken...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 26, 2024 17:21

The photo that goes with the article made my day... thumbs up those eyes... eye popping smiley

Re: Grace Slick about the Altamont show
Posted by: JivinSisterFanny ()
Date: April 26, 2024 23:24

This two-part podcast on the topic is pretty great. No shortage of familiar (and differing) first-hand perspectives. Washington Post: Altamont Disaster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-26 23:25 by JivinSisterFanny.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: April 27, 2024 00:51

keithglimmer
treaclefingers

Good point. I'm probably the one who is mistaken. I've always understood the Altamont show was planned quickly, on the fly. Resulting in the problems. Maybe I'm wrong.....I thought I was wrong once ,but I was mistaken...

Altamont was planned quickly, but the event was to be held in Golden Gate Park and a lot of planning went into that. When the city of San Francisco pulled the permit, Altamont was hastily put together. She likely flew over to discuss the plans mfor the free show IN GGP.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 27, 2024 04:34

Woz
keithglimmer
treaclefingers

Altamont was planned quickly, but the event was to be held in Golden Gate Park and a lot of planning went into that. When the city of San Francisco pulled the permit, Altamont was hastily put together. She likely flew over to discuss the plans mfor the free show IN GGP.

They tried Sears Point Raceway after GGP was nixed, but they wanted a cut of the film profits, since it was owned by Filmways, and Jagger, the man who "knows how to separate business from having orgies" (according to Grace), said no.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 27, 2024 04:53

keithglimmer
treaclefingers

I'm a little that way too, though I would never question my own veracity.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 27, 2024 06:04

I read 2 books on Altamont and only Rock Scully and another guy are mentioned as having gone to England to discuss plans for the free gig. I don’t recall Grace being mentioned but I can’t be certain, it’s been 5-6 years since I read those books.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: April 27, 2024 11:49

Grace or some journalist getting the facts wrong here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home