Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Blind Faith
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 9, 2024 02:16

A one-off, produced by Jimmy Miller. A guess the sound of the old vinyl is what you call crisp, at least it`s fine with me.

I like it. I have given it several spinns lately. It`s said to be a rare combination of the blues from Cream and the soul from Traffic.

"Had To Cry Today" has the riff, so nothing wrong with that. "Can`t Find My Way Home" is ethereal, -a true hippie song. "Presence of The Lord" is the only song from the album I remember from back in the day. It`s written by Eric Clapton, but who sings, Clapton or Stevie Winwood?

I have no problem with side 2 of this album, it`s quite a treat. Even Ginger Baker`s "Do What You Like" is fine. Maybe that was quite a daring title back then.

Re: OT: Blind Faith
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 9, 2024 02:26

The Blind Faith album is and always has been an incredible record. Coming at a perfect time for everyone involved. To me, two of Clapton's best records are the Blind Faith one and Derek And The Dominoes Layla. When he just straps on that guitar and plays there's nothing like it. Obviously his solo stuff, Cream and other things are great too, but Blind Faith and Derek feel so natural. Still kicking myself that I never saw that Clapton/Winwood tour where they played almost all of it. Love that album to death. To me, every song but Do What You Like is perfect. Such great playing, melodic memorable songs, just hits all the right notes. While it would have been cool to get more of it, there's a certain charm of it just being a one off that worked perfectly and there's almost nothing more that needs to be said.

And if you're looking for the Stones connection, they covered Under My Thumb live:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 9, 2024 02:57

Winwood joined Clapton at Crossroads II in Chicago in 2007 for the first time in ages. Then they did some shows together in 2008, including MSG in New York. Both were terrific shows.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 9, 2024 04:26

I played the hell out of this like 35-40 years ago when I regularly recorded full albums off KLOS's the Seventh Day. We're talking pre-adolescence. It's been since far eclipsed but once upon a time it was a top 5 fave. It might have even been on the B side of Beggar's Banquet.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 9, 2024 05:43

SomeTorontoGirl
Winwood joined Clapton at Crossroads II in Chicago in 2007 for the first time in ages. Then they did some shows together in 2008, including MSG in New York. Both were terrific shows.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

US tour in 2009
Europe tour in 2010
Royal Albert Hall and Japan tour in 2011

I did 17 of them.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: April 9, 2024 18:13

Apparently Ginger simply showed up to the first rehearsal uninvited and hijacked the drummer's chair- Clapton had assumed Jim Capaldi was going to be the drummer and was looking forward to a clean break from the whole Cream thing. He was also hoping Winwood would step up and veto Baker but Steve just shrugged and off they went with Ginger. Great drummer but the band may have lasted longer with Capaldi. Who knows....

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 9, 2024 21:22

roryfaninva
Apparently Ginger simply showed up to the first rehearsal uninvited and hijacked the drummer's chair- Clapton had assumed Jim Capaldi was going to be the drummer and was looking forward to a clean break from the whole Cream thing. He was also hoping Winwood would step up and veto Baker but Steve just shrugged and off they went with Ginger. Great drummer but the band may have lasted longer with Capaldi. Who knows....
Hard to say. Eric likes to talk things up then bolt, so who knows how much he would have stuck around. The album is essentially a quarter/third Ginger Baker with Do What You Like, so its not even really like they had enough for an album with Ginger. I do know the story though that he just showed up and Eric didn't want him for it, which makes sense if he was trying to escape Cream. But ultimately, Steve and Jim had Traffic which didn't seem like it was ending or going to be a dual thing for them. It was a fun one off that produced some incredible music. I'd be really curious how Jimmy Miller got involved and what his contributions were to the actual project.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 9, 2024 22:15

Listened to it quite a lot the summer of '69. Remember being disappointed there wasn't more Clapton. Was glad when the solo took off on Presence of the Lord. It spoke to its time. Being strung out, trying to get it together somehow. That album, CSN's first, and Led Zeppelin's debut were the big albums that summer. Honky Tonk Women and Ballad of John and Yoko were hot singles on the radio.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 10, 2024 00:30

24FPS
Listened to it quite a lot the summer of '69. Remember being disappointed there wasn't more Clapton. Was glad when the solo took off on Presence of the Lord. It spoke to its time. Being strung out, trying to get it together somehow. That album, CSN's first, and Led Zeppelin's debut were the big albums that summer. Honky Tonk Women and Ballad of John and Yoko were hot singles on the radio.

If you were mainly just listening to Stones on the radio, and not getting into the albums per se, that must have been somewhat of a whip saw experience going from Paint it Black to Let's Spend The Night Together, to She's A Rainbow, to Jumpin Jack Flash and SFM and finally in 1969 landing on Honky Tonk Women.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 10, 2024 00:57

24FPS
Honky Tonk Women and Ballad of John and Yoko were hot singles on the radio.

In The Ghetto - Elvis Presley, according to my slight musical awareness at that time.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 10, 2024 15:29

Another supergroup that failed to fulfill the promised potential. However, their one-off album has stood the test of time despite the largely disappointing voices that greeted it when it was released.

Eric’s initial intention of forming Blind Faith was the English version of The Band, so to speak, with emphasis on the organic music rather than the fierce interplay between virtuoso players a la Cream. Unfortunately, his idea was spoilt when Ginger forced himself into the lineup. People took the outfit as a ‘supergroup’, Cream + Traffic + Family, but it was by no means what he aimed at. I also heard Jim Capaldi was Eric’s preferred choice for the drummer of a new group that turned out to be Blind Faith, eventually.

Posted by: DGee ()
Date: April 10, 2024 20:26

First album I ever stole. From Barry's Records Tapes, on E. 23rd Street, NYC. The Polydor import from the UK, with the naked girl on the cover, holding the airplane (the US version just had a photo of the band on the cover). Taught myself the riff from "Had to Cry Today" on my first electric guitar. Blissful memories. Thanks!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 10, 2024 23:56

Anybody have Barry's phone number ???/ ....hhhhaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: April 11, 2024 07:39

DGee
First album I ever stole.

Can you please list all the records you have stolen?grinning smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 11, 2024 15:41

noughties
A one-off, produced by Jimmy Miller. A guess the sound of the old vinyl is what you call crisp, at least it`s fine with me.

I like it. I have given it several spinns lately. It`s said to be a rare combination of the blues from Cream and the soul from Traffic.

"Had To Cry Today" has the riff, so nothing wrong with that. "Can`t Find My Way Home" is ethereal, -a true hippie song. "Presence of The Lord" is the only song from the album I remember from back in the day. It`s written by Eric Clapton, but who sings, Clapton or Stevie Winwood?

I have no problem with side 2 of this album, it`s quite a treat. Even Ginger Baker`s "Do What You Like" is fine. Maybe that was quite a daring title back then.

Winwood sings it. It's the first song that Clapton wrote lyrics for.

Posted by: DGee ()
Date: April 11, 2024 18:38

RisingStone
DGee

That was it. Truly. I refer to it as the first album I ever "stole" in response to an oft-quoted question (and regular feature in Mojo or Uncut, I believe), "what's the first album (or record) you ever bought?" Can't remember that one, but I can remember the first one I ever stole.

Adolescent stupidity, for sure. And -- although it was no excuse whatsoever -- it was the Lower East Side of NYC in the 1970s; what wasn't nailed to the floor or wall was invariably lifted (or, in the case of this UK import, "nicked"). cool smiley

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 11, 2024 22:03

Saw them in concert at the Forum, August 15, 1969. I just graduated High School. I think they played 6 songs, but they played the crap out of them. That and a drum solo. There is a rock concert in a Muppets movie and the drummer starts a solo and you see the hands on a clock going around and around. I laughed and thought of this BF concert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 22:18 by pmk251.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 11, 2024 23:58

RisingStone
DGee

I think we stole Exile from a Zayre's shopping center in Indianapolis. Also copped 'Steal This Book' by Abbie Hoffman. I felt obligated to do so. There were many tips of how to con your way into getting things for free. And Exile was the album(s) of that summer in '72.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 12, 2024 00:10

Geeeeeez this camp is full of thieves ... !!!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: April 12, 2024 00:29

DGee
RisingStone
DGee

That was it. Truly. I refer to it as the first album I ever "stole" in response to an oft-quoted question (and regular feature in Mojo or Uncut, I believe), "what's the first album (or record) you ever bought?" Can't remember that one, but I can remember the first one I ever stole.

Adolescent stupidity, for sure. And -- although it was no excuse whatsoever -- it was the Lower East Side of NYC in the 1970s; what wasn't nailed to the floor or wall was invariably lifted (or, in the case of this UK import, "nicked"). cool smiley

TBHWY I didn’t expect a reply from you.grinning smiley

It would have been better put, “First and last album I ever stole.” Blame that cover picture which stimulated the curiosity of a boy at puberty.winking smiley

And don’t worry, Barry’s is not there any more, as I’m sure you know.smoking smiley

[www.14to42.net]

I’m afraid this is turning into a shoplifters’ thread…eye rolling smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 12, 2024 16:46

Fantastic album. Outtakes are cool too

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home