Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones and Syd Barrett
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 2, 2024 03:00

Did our heroes ever have any interaction with Syd?

Actually, have they ever had anything to do with the Floyd guys? Roger seems like the barrel of laughs that would love Ronnie......

Re: Stones and Syd Barrett
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 2, 2024 06:00

Stu used to golf with them. They shared Rupert Lowenstein's services. Patrick Woodroffe worked for both of them. Andrew King and Peter Jenning who promoted The Stones in the Park in 1969 also managed Pink Floyd for a time. I think that's about it apart from the very early days of The UFO Club when Brian and Mick saw The Pink Floyd Sound in concert.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 2, 2024 09:47

I think I posed this question several years ago. Thought he and Brian might get along. On a related note, wasn't Dave Gilmour at Knebworth 76 watching?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 2, 2024 10:51

I have no idea, really. There seems to be this misconception that, just because they were part of the 'same era', that they would necessarily know one another. I am sure there are many, many, equally famous 60’s musicians who never actually met. Didn’t Keith address something like this, regarding a Jim Morrison association? It may have been during one of those Q&A snippets. Regarding the Floyd and the Stones: I don’t doubt there may have been a mutual admiration, but I can’t imagine their paths crossing; especially in the 70’s.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 2, 2024 16:49

One small connection: Roger and Ronnie both played at the Ginger Baker Tribute concert in early 2020.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 2, 2024 17:07

Brian and Syd had obvious parallels.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 3, 2024 05:42

They most likely all listened to Pink Anderson at some stage ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: April 3, 2024 11:38

The closest connection I know...just listen !

video: [www.youtube.com]

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-03 11:39 by Honestman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 3, 2024 13:37

Syd's two favourite artists were the Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan. In the early pre-Pink Floyd days in Cambridge, Syd played in bands covering Stones' songs. And on Nov 19 1963 he and schoolmate Roger Waters went down to London by train to see them play at Kilburn Gaumont.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 3, 2024 14:40

DGA35
I think I posed this question several years ago. Thought he and Brian might get along. On a related note, wasn't Dave Gilmour at Knebworth 76 watching?

It seems like there is a picture of David with the McCartney's at Knebworth.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: April 3, 2024 16:15

pic in knebworth 76 ... [www.facebook.com]

Posted by: FeelslikeaGhost ()
Date: April 3, 2024 17:31

I went to a Roger Waters Concert and he told a story about how him and Syd went and saw the Stones back in the 60s, he said it was one of the best nights of his life

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 3, 2024 19:26

Didn’t Keith call TSMR “psychedelic bull*#&!”?

The Stones, other than Brian, seemed to mostly keep a distance from the psychedelic scene. Their big attempt to insinuate themselves into it failed miserably at the debacle at Altamont.

It would have made more sense for them to have courted the company of the U.K. Blues & R&B-based Rock bands of the latter 60s like Fleetwood Mac, Jethro Tull, Atomic Rooster, The Who, The Groundhogs, Them, John Mayall, and The Animals, than the LSD crowd.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: April 3, 2024 19:57

In 2004 David Gilmour and Ronnie Wood both played at the "Strat Pack" concert at wembley arena. David Gilmour had a short solo during Stay with me. On the broadcast it was mixed out of the audio!

Date: April 3, 2024 20:58

Rockman
They most likely all listened to Pink Anderson at some stage ....

The comparisons go way deeper than that winking smiley

Date: April 3, 2024 21:07

Oh...okay then deeper .......... Floyd Council

ROCKMAN

Date: April 3, 2024 21:17

Or maybe they both started legendary bands only to get lost in drugs and both saw their bands take new directions reach higher heights without them.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 3, 2024 21:31

Rockman
Oh...okay then deeper .......... Floyd Council

You always deliver, Rockman. Always.

Date: April 3, 2024 22:11

Heck yeah ............... Let It Loose ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 5, 2024 02:52

He said the same thing at the concert I went to but I am certain he said it was seeing the Stones that inspired them to start a band.

FeelslikeaGhost
I went to a Roger Waters Concert and he told a story about how him and Syd went and saw the Stones back in the 60s, he said it was one of the best nights of his life

Date: April 5, 2024 08:38

Syd maybe copied Brians style of dressing ...
But Brian still won hands down ....hats ..scarves...jewellery ...jackets

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home