Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 25
Re: Rehearsals for the Stones 2024 Tour
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 19, 2024 04:56

One thing I noticed is none of the reports of the rehearsed songs so far have listed YCAGWYW. Taken over by SSOH perhaps? Good sign if true.

Still too many usual suspects. I wish they nixed MY as well.

Posted by: TW2019 ()
Date: April 19, 2024 04:56

Bitch & She’s so cold thumbs up

Bitch sounded really sharp in Brussels 2022 and I don’t think She’s so cold has come out since Foxboro 2019

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: April 19, 2024 05:05

rogerriffin
18/4/2024
By now...
Sympathy
Gimme Shelter
Miss You
Paint it black
Bitch
She’s so cold
Bitch
Iorr
Shattered
She’s so cold
All down the line
Monkey man (x3)
Sweet Virginia
Tell me straight

Thanks Jonatan again!!!

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: April 19, 2024 05:57

So glad I got tickets for Houston so pumped.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: April 19, 2024 06:31

smileys with beer

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 19, 2024 07:21

The rehearsals in Los Angeles have been far above any of my expectetions. I have been going to Stones rehearals since the 90's, for mainly two reasons. First of all I am restless and impossible as a family member once I know my favorite band is somewhere, and I am not there. Secondly I am of course interested in seeing them, and if possible, hearing what they do.

In the "old days", i.e. 90's, when the web was young, I published names of locations and details of everything. Then next day the streets were packed with hundreds of fans, the police shut out streets, pushed us around, and life as a fan was just impossible. I learned a lesson, or more.

Then people expect me, as an editor of IORR, to publish everything I know and hear. That would be imposible. First of all because people - the band - trust me. Secondly, security and safety would be a nightmare. I don't want to be in charge of anything bad happening, so I act like a fan, nothing more, nothing less.

Publishing song by song lists, minute by minute, details of what the band do rehearse, and what they do in general, would be breaking trust. I need their trust, and they need to trust me.

Having been working with analysis all my professional life, I am excited about analyzing this tour, with a new album, first time since 2005. I spent the summer of 2005 in Toronto Canada, where they did rehearsals, and ended up at the Phoenix show Aug 10, 2005, then later tour start in Boston.

Now, 19 years on, it is different. They have been touring every year since 2012, except for short breaks in 2020 and 2023. So the following post will be my thought as of today, the last days here in LA, just before the band is moving on to Houston. Details to follow.

Bjornulf

Date: April 19, 2024 07:43

You might say that a Stones show is based on four - 4 - parts: The first part of the show, the Keith set, the second part, and the encore part.

The Keith set is usually two songs, just after the introductions. If there is a "situation in the band", like Keith said on stage in Las Vegas 2016, he might do three songs, but usually he does two songs. More later.

The first part is the most interesting part for the hard core fans, that is where they may slide in "new" i.e. rare and interesting stuff. That is where we get "She's A Rainbow", "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", "Love In Vain", "Worried About You", "Under My Thumb", Beast Of Burden", "Emotional Rescue", "Fool To Cry" and so on and so on. All these, and many more, have been rehearsed in LA this month, and may/will be played somewhere on this tour. Probably not every show, most probably just one or a few places, like LA, Chicago or NY/NJ, where there are two shows in the same city.

The first ten songs as rehearsed yesterday Wednesday April 17 were the socalled "first part". "Start Me Up" first, then nine more songs, ending with "Honky Tonk Women", already three - 3 - songs from their new album, also "Out Of Time", very popular in Europe 2022, and a couple of other songs not to be performed every night.

The second part of the show is what some call the war horses. Songs they play often. Today Thursday April 18 they did that part of the songs at the rehearsals. From "Sympathy For The Devil", up to "Jumping Jack Flash", a strong set of some five songs.

The encores will be ending with "Satisfaction", not a surprise, but the first encore is not yet final. It might be "Can't Always Get", rehearsed a few times, or more probably "Sweeet Sounds Of Heaven", a more brave and challenging encore. I hope that one will work in Houston, and onwards.

Keith has been rehearsing "Tell Me Straight", I assume he want to do that song from the new album, then he may choose from "Happy", "Little T&A" and "Slipping Away", all being reherased, and well done.

The rehearsals have been one part the big hits, one larger part the rarer ones, and one part the new songs from Hackney Diamonds. I hope, and think, that we may get around five songs from Hackney Diamonds at every show, and if you go to many shows this year, you may get to hear as many as 8 or 9 songs from their new album, also as many as 10 or so other rare songs not played every show.

Sure I am excited. They sound good, they have a great album to tour behind, and they seem to be all ready.

Houston is coming up soon.

Bjornulf

Date: April 19, 2024 07:49

A day at the rehearsals. This is from my notes last week, Thursday April 11:

Whole Wide World (two takes)
She's So Cold
Let It Bleed (two takes)
Can't You Hear Me Knocking (three takes)

Just publishing a list of songs make no sense. One song from Hackney Diamons, works great every time they do it. Then a rarely played song, some of us will be lucky to hear it live somewhere this summer. The same goes for the other two.

Most of us love "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". So that day we got that song three times, refining it, working on getting it perfect, then it is ready, for being performed at some location, don't know where, don't know when, but they sure are making magic.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-19 07:49 by bv.

Posted by: BlueLands ()
Date: April 19, 2024 07:54

Excellent post BV. Thank you for all of your hard work, commitment, dedication, and sharing your love of the band with us gentiles. Have fun in Houston!

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: April 19, 2024 07:56

Have they rehearsed Brown Sugar yet?

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: April 19, 2024 08:10

great report

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: April 19, 2024 08:22

ohmercy61
So glad I got tickets for Houston so pumped.
Have a real good time! I wish I could fly over from Germany.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: April 19, 2024 08:30

bv
You might say that a Stones show is based on four - 4 - parts: The first part of the show, the Keith set, the second part, and the encore part.

The Keith set is usually two songs, just after the introductions. If there is a "situation in the band", like Keith said on stage in Las Vegas 2016, he might do three songs, but usually he does two songs. More later.

The first part is the most interesting part for the hard core fans, that is where they may slide in "new" i.e. rare and interesting stuff. That is where we get "She's A Rainbow", "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", "Love In Vain", "Worried About You", "Under My Thumb", Beast Of Burden", "Emotional Rescue", "Fool To Cry" and so on and so on. All these, and many more, have been rehearsed in LA this month, and may/will be played somewhere on this tour. Probably not every show, most probably just one or a few places, like LA, Chicago or NY/NJ, where there are two shows in the same city.

The first ten songs as rehearsed yesterday Wednesday April 17 were the socalled "first part". "Start Me Up" first, then nine more songs, ending with "Honky Tonk Women", already three - 3 - songs from their new album, also "Out Of Time", very popular in Europe 2022, and a couple of other songs not to be performed every night.

The second part of the show is what some call the war horses. Songs they play often. Today Thursday April 18 they did that part of the songs at the rehearsals. From "Sympathy For The Devil", up to "Jumping Jack Flash", a strong set of some five songs.

The encores will be ending with "Satisfaction", not a surprise, but the first encore is not yet final. It might be "Can't Always Get", rehearsed a few times, or more probably "Sweeet Sounds Of Heaven", a more brave and challenging encore. I hope that one will work in Houston, and onwards.

Keith has been rehearsing "Tell Me Straight", I assume he want to do that song from the new album, then he may choose from "Happy", "Little T&A" and "Slipping Away", all being reherased, and well done.

The rehearsals have been one part the big hits, one larger part the rarer ones, and one part the new songs from Hackney Diamonds. I hope, and think, that we may get around five songs from Hackney Diamonds at every show, and if you go to many shows this year, you may get to hear as many as 8 or 9 songs from their new album, also as many as 10 or so other rare songs not played every show.

Sure I am excited. They sound good, they have a great album to tour behind, and they seem to be all ready.

Thank You very much bv!

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: April 19, 2024 09:30

Thanks for the updates BV

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 19, 2024 09:33

BV are you lucky enough to be inside or one of the group outside?

Posted by: Topi ()

RisingStone
One thing I noticed is none of the reports of the rehearsed songs so far have listed YCAGWYW. Taken over by SSOH perhaps? Good sign if true.

Still too many usual suspects. I wish they nixed MY as well.

YCAGWYW was rehearsed the other day. I'm afraid. I saw it it in the written notes of a buddy who was there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-19 09:36 by Topi.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()

Thank you so much bv! Excited for the tour opener!
So glad you can hear that well at rehearsals!
Maybe Can't You Hear Me Knocking might be played at jazz fest?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 19, 2024 10:17

thank you bv that was really exciting to read and your passion and enthusiasm for the band and this tour is wonderful and uplifting

have a great tour!

Date: April 19, 2024 10:42

Stonesfan2146

Maybe Can't You Hear Me Knocking might be played at jazz fest?

I'd really love to hear a jazz arrangement of CYHMK.

Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: April 19, 2024 11:52

bv

Thank you BV.
Excellent analysis.
I wish I was there. My sons will be in Houston - the enthusiasm is infectious!

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: April 19, 2024 11:57

I would be happy with something like this, with 5 or six changes every night:

Start me up
Angry
Tumbling dice
Get off of my cloud (rotation song)
Whole Wide World (rotation new song)
Wild horses (rotation ballad)
Gimmie Shelter
Bitch (rotation song)
Bite my head off (rotation new song)
Honky Tonk women

Tell me straight
Happy (rotation song)

Miss you
Simpathy for the devil
Midnight rambler
Pain it black
Jumpin Jack Flash

Sweet Sounds of heaven
Satisfaction

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-19 11:58 by goingmad.

Posted by: Nobbi82 ()
Date: April 19, 2024 12:29

A huge thank you to Björnulf for the great report of the rehearsals, that makes us very curious about the first gig of the 2024 tour

Date: April 19, 2024 12:51

bv

Am I reading to much into this part ?

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: April 19, 2024 13:09

monkeymantoo

- the enthusiasm is infectious!

Yes indeed!!!

Posted by: Djuro ()
Date: April 19, 2024 13:59

Thank you very much BV.

Date: April 19, 2024 14:27

So you are already there.
Passion and enthusiasm…indeed.

YCAGWYW rehearsed, after all.
Hopefully the new setlist won’t be another warhorsefest (I’m not holding my breath, though).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 19, 2024 14:32

PaintMonkeyManBlack
bv

Am I reading to much into this part ?

Yes. Mick was having voice problems (having recently cancelled a show) so Keith sang three songs.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 19, 2024 16:33

RisingStone
So you are already there.
Passion and enthusiasm…indeed.

YCAGWYW rehearsed, after all.
Hopefully the new setlist won’t be another warhorsefest (I’m not holding my breath, though).

It all depends on the audience. If they play those five songs from HD in Houston and they are well received they will continue playing them and also try other songs from the album.

If people go to the toilets duing Mess it up and start talking during Sweet Sounds of Heaven, they will cut the Hackney Diamonds songs till just 1-2 are left.

The choice is yours.

Date: April 19, 2024 16:40

Mess It Up is a fitting bathroom break song when you think about it! grinning smiley

Date: April 19, 2024 17:17

StonedRambler
The choice is yours.

More precisely, the choice is theirs, i.e. casual fans’.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-19 17:23 by RisingStone.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2013
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home