Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 25
Re: Rehearsals for the Stones 2024 Tour
Date: April 1, 2024 01:46

I think they will open with The Last Time and finish with Sweet Sounds of Heaven.

Juniorjackflash
Would be great but it won’t happen because, dollar for doughnuts, Mick will want to play guitar on it as he wrote the riff, and he likes to come out prancing without a guitar - so I personally think he won’t.

Shame as I think if he let Keith do it; it would indeed be a terrific and fresh opener to have in the mixer.

treaclefingers
schwonek
mpj200
Not amps or guitars yet, but all down the line.

Time for a new opener. Have they ever opened with All Down The Line?

I think with the excitement, starting with Angry would blow the roof off, and that would definitely be a new opener.

Then give us 3 or 4 more HD tracks from this group...Get Close, WWW, BMHO, Depending On You, Mess It Up, SSoH...and Keith'll certainly do Tell Me Straight.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 1, 2024 16:48

schwonek
mpj200

That would be a GREAT opener!

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: April 1, 2024 17:07

smoking smiley

No thanks ....

have you seen your mother
one hit
mother's little

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 1, 2024 17:07

buffalo7478
schwonek
mpj200

That would be a GREAT opener!

no! It might work for for die-hard fans at a club show. But it surely won't work in a huge open air venue. Even at Berlin Waldbühne most audience members didn't react to the song (or reacted by sitting down again)

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: April 1, 2024 22:09

Well they opened with Not Fade Away on a full tour. All down the line doesn't seem completely impossible winking smiley But unlikely that's true

Date: April 1, 2024 22:22

Stonesfan2146
Well they opened with Not Fade Away on a full tour. All down the line doesn't seem completely impossible winking smiley But unlikely that's true

right, and it didn't work – at least not for the masses…

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 1, 2024 22:52

"Whatever it is, I'm against it!"

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 1, 2024 22:59

Personally I think the days of brevity are gone, there's no different/unusual opener. They're playing for the masses and their legacy. Although I do believe they're going to throw in some HD songs I only expect Out Of Time to be anything out of the ordinary. Anyhow, that's not a bad deal in the end. My opinion. I'll be watching/listening from Europe. Hope you guys have a great tour in the USA.smileys with beer

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: April 1, 2024 23:30

slewan
Stonesfan2146

Gotta disagree with that, Not Fade Away was an great opener for Voodoo Lounge, would they have used it for so many shows if it didn't work ? I loved All Over Now from the same tour as well. The Charlie, Keith and Ronnie interplay was excellent.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: April 2, 2024 01:53

skytrench
slewan
Stonesfan2146

Gotta disagree with that, Not Fade Away was an great opener for Voodoo Lounge, would they have used it for so many shows if it didn't work ? I loved All Over Now from the same tour as well. The Charlie, Keith and Ronnie interplay was excellent.

Of course it "worked". It was the groove, Charlie was the one to start it. It was the understatement. The rough guitars, the harp, the unexpected. Stripped down to it's very best.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 2, 2024 05:10

I went to 2013 location again. Heard some distant drums and also further off a droning / fire alarm type sound - this is more of a commercial industrial airport near an airport. I walked around the neighborhood a bit, 2 other rehearsal studios on that same street but the smaller 24 hour lockout local bands use and share. Walked by again and heard nothing but there is definitely activity there and they have around 14 studios of varying sizes onsite.

Then I went to the 2015 location. The problem is it's a very deep complex on a major street. It goes back at least 2 football fields from the main gate. Can't hear anything. I suspect this may be the one but just not much I can do. Spent like 5 minutes in the vicinity and went home. Not a very comfortable spot to just hang out. I only care if I can hear. Celebrity sightings are a daily occurrence here and not very interesting on their own.

No autograph seekers at either location.

There are dozens if not hundreds of rehearsal studios in LA even if not all can accommodate that setup. It's difficult to stake them out all out and the signs might not be obvious from the street if I am not hearing Rolling Stones music. Might check out the 2013 location again but pretty sure that's not it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 2, 2024 06:56

slewan
Stonesfan2146

What planet are you on? The flat one?

It absolutely worked for "the masses". It opened EVERY show.

Date: April 2, 2024 07:11

I forget whoever it was who interviewed Mick in 1997 in Chicago but Mick would actually seem to agree with those who said it didn't work.

Probably wouldn't work now but 1994 is pretty much the dividing line when the people at the shows weren't necessarily the ones who bought and played the albums.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: April 2, 2024 07:31

I can’t see them doing more than 3 songs from HD.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 2, 2024 11:05

skytrench

Gotta disagree with that, Not Fade Away was an great opener for Voodoo Lounge,
It was keith's idea and Mick complained it totally failed at pumping up the audience and putting it in the right mood. In 97 they opened shows with the very fast "Satisfaction" which says a lot.

skytrench
would they have used it for so many shows if it didn't work ?

Logistics.... light show... Mick's entrance etc etc

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 2, 2024 11:16

The purpose of "Not fade away" was never to pump up the audience.

Its purpose was to create tension. The tension was then released with "Tumbling Dice".

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 2, 2024 13:38

dcba
skytrench

Gotta disagree with that, Not Fade Away was an great opener for Voodoo Lounge,
It was keith's idea and Mick complained it totally failed at pumping up the audience and putting it in the right mood. In 97 they opened shows with the very fast "Satisfaction" which says a lot.

Wow, if Mick really has said that, it goes to show he really sometimes misses the point of his own band.
Not Fade Away was a fantastic opener of their concerts, one of their best. And as far as Satisfaction is concerned, personally, I wouldn't mind if they left it off their setlist entirely for a bit.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 2, 2024 14:30

I loved the Not Fade Away to Tumbling Dice combination. But I seriously doubt the tourists cared for it, minus the cobra shooting fire. Likewise starting with Satisfaction, Street Fighting Man, Start Me Up or Jumping Jack Flash seem to excite the masses more. SFM is the best option for me in this case. Will be interesting to see what they do this time around. Would be cool if they could make Mother's Little Helper transition from the opener.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: April 2, 2024 15:22

I think there are limited options for the opening song.

I would predict it will be one of the following:

1. JJF
2. SFM
3. SMU
4. Satisfaction
5. Paint it Black
6. Get off My Cloud
7. HTW

But I would say that Paint of Black is prob not feasible until later in the set because Keith would need time for his fingers to warm up. Thats why the 5 string songs are preferred openers -Keith can bash them out easily early on and they get the crowd moving. Start Me up is a bit of a challenge sometime to get that opening riff right though

I don't think Angry will be the opener but I could see it in the number 3 or 4 spot

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 2, 2024 16:24

micha063
skytrench
slewan
Stonesfan2146

Of course it "worked". It was the groove, Charlie was the one to start it. It was the understatement. The rough guitars, the harp, the unexpected. Stripped down to it's very best.

For me it was one of their best openers ever.

Date: April 2, 2024 16:35

treaclefingers
micha063
skytrench
slewan
Stonesfan2146

For me it was one of their best openers ever.

I guess the masses are way underrepresented here on IORR…

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: April 2, 2024 17:49

Horrible opener in my opinion. Worked in '64 and '65. Kind of a sloppy uneventful opening for "Vegas Stones" in '94. But that is just my opinion. Can't see them opening with a cover song anytime soon. JJF, SMU,SFM all work fine as openers.

Date: April 2, 2024 20:13

Apparently Mick was fine with Not Fade Away being the opening song. It's on STRIPPED even.

Mick Jagger (1994-95): The Voodoo Lounge show
You open it with this big, grand gesture, an explosion of fire and with a drumbeat going. The first number's (Not Fade Away) really simple as far as the musicians are concerned. Then we have fireworks going, which changes the light on the sides. It's rather eerie and smoky. It's supposed to be a dark beginnning, a bit dark and slightly foreboding, not a big, happy, fun beginning. And then we cut to the beginning of the first rock section, which is Tumbling Dice...

There's quite a big move at the end of Satisfaction that becomes the high point of that set; then we start to slow it down. It changes mood again going into Beast of Burden or whatever ballad we do. When we constructed the set musically, I had in mind that it was in these sections - like breaking down a screenplay or, very simply, a plot. It starts off with this moody thing, goes into this rock section, breaks down into this power section, then we have what we used to call the grab bag section.

Then it goes into Keith's two songs, it goes up at the end of that into this more audience-participation thing - Honky Tonk Women.

Then it goes into the Voodoo Lounge section, where we change the set. Then it goes into the end, the rock & roll run-out section.

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 2, 2024 20:34

There is a separate thread about set lists:

The Rolling Stones set list discussions

Bjornulf

Date: April 2, 2024 21:19

I really hope they play more than three off HACKNEY. Just play 5 the entire tour, none of this dropping songs out like the BANG tour.

Partially because they made a big deal out of the new album - so tour it!

Since Chuck was not involved with HACKNEY... think he'll be on the tour? Matt Clifford did the Racket show.

It's been very quiet in that regard!

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: April 2, 2024 21:38

GasLightStreet
I really hope they play more than three off HACKNEY. Just play 5 the entire tour, none of this dropping songs out like the BANG tour.

Partially because they made a big deal out of the new album - so tour it!

Since Chuck was not involved with HACKNEY... think he'll be on the tour? Matt Clifford did the Racket show.

Of course Chuck will be on the tour. He's been their "musical director" for decades.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 2, 2024 21:39

GasLightStreet

[iorr.org]

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: April 3, 2024 00:43

Unfortunately Chuck is the "Musical Director" of the Rolling Stones Band since decades...

He will be on tour...

Date: April 3, 2024 03:25

I was told point blank from a decent source (at least someone who wouldn't jerk me around) that it's at the latter location but the band isn't there yet.

Kinda glad it isn't Center Staging. That was rough on my body at age 39, 50 year old me might not be able to do it. And I want to see the show unfold live, even if it's 90% the same. I might go check both places out again in the next few days anyway, there is a store near the latter location I need to go to and might stop and say hello to any familiar faces who might be lurking around.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 3, 2024 03:34

Dan

Then I went to the 2015 location. The problem is it's a very deep complex on a major street. It goes back at least 2 football fields from the main gate. Can't hear anything. I suspect this may be the one but just not much I can do. Spent like 5 minutes in the vicinity and went home. Not a very comfortable spot to just hang out. I only care if I can hear. Celebrity sightings are a daily occurrence here and not very interesting on their own.

No autograph seekers at either location.

There are dozens if not hundreds of rehearsal studios in LA even if not all can accommodate that setup. It's difficult to stake them out all out and the signs might not be obvious from the street if I am not hearing Rolling Stones music. Might check out the 2013 location again but pretty sure that's not it.

Can we assume, from your cryptic posting that by " it's at the latter location" you mean what you previously described as the 2015 location?

So they seem to be doing sound AND stage rehearsals in LA for a Houston opening?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home