Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Are Those Ancient Dutch and German Rockers Still Around?
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 7, 2005 14:24

I was just listening to Golden Earring and it got me thinking: are thjey stiull around? And there was this guy from either Germany or NL called Herman brood. Whatever happened to him?
What is rock like over there now? Not prog rock stuff, REAL rock.
I am talking from a position of ignorance here, not of dogma.

Re: Are Those Ancient Dutch and German Rockers Still Around?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 7, 2005 14:31

Golden Earring are still going strong, as far as I'm aware...

Posted by: Gertje ()
Date: December 7, 2005 14:36

Yes, the Earring Is Still around. Herman Brood WAS also Dutch. He jumped off the Hilton in Amsterdam a few years ago (got a little bit drugged over the years), painted the most ugly paintings. But now they are worth a fortune. Unfortunately he is no longer on this planet.
The only bands from Holland who still rock for me, are the Earring and Normaal(rock 'n roll). And now and then Cuby and The Blizzards are still doing some stuff for the fun of it.
Grtz Gertje

Posted by: MrBird65 ()
Date: December 7, 2005 14:36

Herman Brood (NL), a real Rock'n Roller....his live performances were much more R'n R than the performances of the Stones these days. But he played only small clubs here in Germany, so you can't really compare it.
He killed himself in July 2001.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: December 7, 2005 14:38

Herman Brood 'abolished' himself about 5 years ago by jumping of the Amsterdam Okura hotel. He was completely wasted after decades of substance abuse comparable to Keith and wrote in his goodbye note that he "didn't see the fun of it all amymore" (or words like that).

edite: the Hilton that is.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-07 14:40 by Greg.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 7, 2005 14:52

it seems that the John and Yoko "bed-in" isnt the only notable rock n roll event to have happened at the Amsterdam Hilton!

Date: December 7, 2005 14:56

I can not believe I didn't hear about Brood. I am in USA but try to sty on top of stuff. Thing is, about 5 years ago I myself was so wasted that when I came back I found a world that had passed me by for a couple years. I literally had to reaquaint myself with happenings. You vere do that? When you live completely in a capsule for a while? Sorry, off topic...
Brood aleays made me laugh. I thought his antics (while no doubt for real) came off as a little silly in the big picture. Too bad about his end. I'd love to see some of thise terrible paintings. I love bad art.
About the Earring. They are actually still playing? Does Cesar still leap over his drums? Or is that facilitated by a crane these days? It's so easy to slag another oldtimer band when it's not the Stones..

Posted by: MrBird65 ()
Date: December 7, 2005 15:02

[www.brood.nl]

Not bad art in my opinion...i think it's more creative than for example Ronnies paintings.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: December 7, 2005 15:02

Date: December 7, 2005 15:07

I don't think this is thaty bad at all. Like MrBird I have a major problemn with Ron Wood's supposed art. While I am happy for him that he has found his outlet, I doubt that were he not one Ron Wood, Rolling Stone incarnate, that anyone would pay anythiung more than $5 for one of his pieces. they are abl;e copies of photos. I know many, many sidewalk artists who show more original daring than he does.
BTW I must apologize for the may typos I am doing. I have a taped up finger and keep hitting two keys at once.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: December 7, 2005 15:20

I was going to write the same as MrBird65: it's better art than Ronnie's. Also his cartoons are quite funny, in a weird absurdist way (very dutch I think). I remember a cartoon of a sweaty, wasted son saying to his father who's hidden behind his newspaper: "Daddy, I'm going to stay clean of drugs". Father: "Ah son, why don't you quit that silly stuff."

It was quite a shock when he took that jump on a beautiful, hot summer day.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 7, 2005 17:24

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > About the Earring. They are actually still
> playing? Does Cesar still leap over his drums?
=======================================================

LOL yes, the Golden Earring is still playing. They do lots of shows. From concert halls to party tents. But no, Cesar is no longer leaping over his drums. That was a long time ago. I must admit that I am very happy with this thread. Golden Earring is still one of my favourite bands from my childhood, and still going strong. Just like the Stones. Oh BTW, I am Dutch :-)

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: December 7, 2005 17:32

Actually, I play in a rockband myself (guitar) die hard RS fan. and next to me, our singer is a die hard Golden Earring fan.
We both write songs together so the inspiration is combined in the songs, quit nice and fits well too..

I'm expecting for years that the Earring would be warming up for them one time but..
They did went to the dressingroom in 1976 in the Hague and that seemed to have been a major drug/drink party..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1329
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home