Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: 2024 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 19, 2024 22:17

Cool, Liam. I hear ya, man. But what does "BUMBACLARTS LGx" mean?confused smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 20, 2024 01:28

Doxa
Cool, Liam. I hear ya, man. But what does "BUMBACLARTS LGx" mean?confused smiley

- Doxa

[www.dictionary.com]

OT: 2024 Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 22, 2024 19:27

DJ/producer Mark Ronson's pitch for Foreigner.

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 22, 2024 23:36

It will never have rock credibility. Where is Jethro Tull? Mariah Carey is a bigger rock and roll act than Jethro Tull? What about the J. Geils Band? They even had a run of hit records.

Date: February 23, 2024 00:52

24FPS
It will never have rock credibility. Where is Jethro Tull?

When I was in high school 50 years ago Jethro Tull was HUGE and were all over FM Album Rock stations...popularity wise, they were considered rivals of Led Zeppelin.

While they never were my thing, I liked a handful of their songs (like "Inside", "Living In the Past" "Skating Away" "Aqualung" etc,) and I can see the logic for having them in the RRHoF.

However...there is a generation or two of younger music critics who learned at the knee of their hipster elders that Tull wasn't cool. They really don't know anything about them...EXCEPT the whole Heavy Metal Grammy mishap.

It's become a stale, predictable joke, like the kind you can bet will be re-told by your drunk uncle at Thanksgiving.

Any time the Grammys are written about, the ol' Jethro Tull-stole-the-award-from Metallic yarn is cited.

And if Jethro Tull happens to be mentioned in a music story the first (and usually only) go-to is that they once won a Grammy for Best Heavy Metal album.

Maybe it was funny the first 50 times..but alright, already, clearly everybody knows that factoid now, so I would like folks to let it go.

If you see it in print, tell the writer that not only is their sad snark showing, but it's their grandmother's sad snark.

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: February 24, 2024 15:05

Tull and J. Geils' not already being in remind me of how long it took Rush to get in. I guess popularity and musicianship don't matter with some artists. Frustrating.

Date: March 18, 2024 20:41

Fan Vote results, 3/18:

[vote.rockhall.com]

Date: March 21, 2024 15:30

Lenny Kravitz talks about his nomination on "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon", March 20:

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: March 21, 2024 17:55

bye bye johnny
Lenny Kravitz talks about his nomination on "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon", March 20:

Rock stars... The majority of music lovers look down on the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame while musicians cannot get enough of it. There are sooooo many bands, musicians that should be in there but they aren't. There is no one who could say a couple of words in the name of love (= fair play)?

What if Lenny K is not inducted? Will he feel less of a man? Less of a musician? Less of a successful artist? Oh, boy... Preaching about love and a fair world, and then they close their eyes and shut their months when they could make a difference by standing up for those whose voice is not heard...

Date: March 22, 2024 20:42

I used to be annoyed at all the politics and gate-keeping when Jann Wenner and Robbie Robertson ran the show.

Whoever is in charge now has no sense of what Rock n' Roll is at all. None.

It was a much better operation when it was an informal gathering, and you watched clips of it on Entertainment Tonight, etc. When it became an entire TV show the selections became programmed for what a TV audience would want to see. (Neil Young boycotted the Buffalo Springfield induction for that reason) The more deserving were overlooked in the name of having something for everyone.

It's another Oscar-clone awards show on TV--which means it's really just bullsh*t.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 22, 2024 21:23

loog droog
It's another Oscar-clone awards show on TV--which means it's really just bullsh*t.
Pretty much. There was always an element of "why would you honor something that is supposed to be about being rebellious?" It had a good spirit and idea to it at the start, but the formal party of it was always a little off. Why wear fancy suits to something that is essence honoring just throwing on a pair of jeans and playing music?

But when you got past that, it was a cool thing to honor these people who really were founders, still alive in a lot of cases, and by the people that truly appreciated them. Kinda like the Oscars or the SAG awards, it means a lot to those actors because its their peers who do it. So the idea of that for music, and specifically rock music which was not the primary focus of say, the Grammys, was a cool sweet idea. And it worked for awhile too. Even when it became a TV broadcast, it was still pretty on point till like 2004 maybe? Maybe like 2007? I remember like George Harrison, Prince, Bob Seger kinda being the last year that it was perfect. It started scrapping after that, and then on top of that ignoring so many deserving people, some they still are.

Now, like you say, Robbie and Jann were very biased but it feels like a better time than what we have now, which is faceless corporate people with the obligation of inclusion for everyone and every genre. There's legitimately no honor to it anymore at this point, its yet another award for these musicians. The funny thing is is they don't change the name from Rock N Roll because thats the only prestigious element to some of these people, but its absolutely just the Pop Music Hall Of Fame nowadays, and really its the Pop Music Hall Of Very Good. You don't need to be the best of the best to get in anymore, you just have to have stuck around or continue to be relevant in some way. I have nothing against bands like Journey or Pat Benetar or Cheap Trick, but they don't deserve to be among the best of the best IMO. And I'm all for having people I'm not a fan of, but for everyone its got to be a convincing argument and there's so many people now who don't have that.

EDIT: I love a group like ELO, but I don't really think they belong in the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame. I think Jeff Lynne should be in for his contribution of music, but I don't think his band broke the mold in a super meaningful way in terms of sales, influence, popularity, consistency, etc. I love their music but its not really about that. Same with someone like T Rex. I adore Marc Bolan, but I wouldn't put him in the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame. David Bowie loved him, but David Bowie is a massive presence in music. The two don't belong in the same hall IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-22 21:26 by RollingFreak.

Date: April 16, 2024 18:41

Final Fan Vote results

[www.rockhall.com]

--

2024 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductees to Be Revealed Live on ‘American Idol’

Tune in Sunday to be the first to know.

By Paul Grein
April 15, 2024

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 16, 2024 19:16

bye bye johnny

No thank you.

Date: April 16, 2024 19:37

Its like the Hall is trying to be as embarrassing and cringeworthy as possible.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2024 17:22

bye bye johnny
Final Fan Vote results

[www.rockhall.com]

--

2024 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductees to Be Revealed Live on ‘American Idol’

By Paul Grein
April 15, 2024

[www.billboard.com]

Hmmm...I thought the R'n'R HOF had already jumped the shark.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 18, 2024 21:58

If this poll was done in England, Oasis would probably have twice as many votes as the next band.
I've never heard of Eric B and Rakim!

Date: April 22, 2024 05:38

Looks like:

Cher
Ozzy Osbourne
Dave Matthews Band
Mary J. Blige
Foreigner
Peter Frampton
Kool & the Gang
A Tribe Called Quest
Jimmy Buffett
MC5
Dionne Warwick
Big Mama Thornton

Kinda pathetic IMO that Foreigner needed so much cajoling but also you look at the list and we may finally be at the point where I just don't care anymore. Surprising I have this long. They clearly just want to get everyone in at this point, its almost crazy why they even have a cap anymore on how many can get inducted a year. Place has become so random.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 22, 2024 06:39

What a sham .... still no Harmonica Frank ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 22, 2024 13:30

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 22, 2024 14:41

Congratulations to the home town boy Lou Gramm of Foreigner for being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Ps- I'm still hopeful that we will see the Monkees inducted some day before I die.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 23, 2024 02:58

Rockman

What a sham .... still no Harmonica Frank ....

yeah but at least we got big mama thornton!smiling smiley

(how was she not already in?)

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 23, 2024 20:43

Rock and Roll HOF has been a parody of itself for many, many years. Tull not in? Geils band not in? Give me a freakin break. There are of course many other worthy bands/artists. What a joke....

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: April 23, 2024 23:10

As others have said, this entity should simply be re-named the Popular Music Hall of Fame, and then they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

After which, if we wanted an actual R&R Hall of fame -- though I'm not sure we do -- then start over from scratch, do it responsibly, and with no requirement for new inductees annually.

This won't happen, though. Just the term "rock 'n' roll," despite the music's lesser popularity now, does still have a bad-ass cache in our lexicon that the term "popular music" does not. Those who run the thing aren't correcting their name.

So I think we're stuck with this sprawling beast with its ever-shrinking prestige, legitimacy, and meaning.

Date: April 24, 2024 17:27

Peter Frampton on His Rock Hall Induction: ‘My Phone Hasn’t Stopped Blowing Up’

"My mind has been sort of a blur ever since I found out," says the guitarist, who is finally joining the institution after three decades of eligibility

By Andy Greene
April 22, 2024

[www.rollingstone.com]

--

Lou Gramm on Foreigner’s Long-Awaited Rock Hall Induction: ‘Justice Has Been Done’

He's thrilled the band is finally getting recognized by the institution — but not happy that they may only be allowed to play "I Want to Know What Love Is"

By Andy Greene
April 24, 2024

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: April 26, 2024 23:53

Ozzy Osbourne on Rock Hall Induction: ‘I’m Happy I’m Alive To See This’

The Prince of Darkness gets candid about what it means to him to have his solo career acknowledged in addition to his work with Black Sabbath, who were inducted in 2006

By Kory Grow
April 25, 2024

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 27, 2024 02:18

I can’t believe they waited till Wayne Kramer passed before inducting the MC5. They should have at the very least been inducted same night as The Stooges. I think only Dennis Thompson is still alive to accept this sham award. The thing is a Joke and I’m glad The Pistols gave it the finger when they were nominated and I’m glad Liam had his speak also. IF they just called it the music hall of fame I could accept it better, but there’s no real rock n roll hall of fame that would leave out the MC5 from being inducted for 30 years. I know it’s a pile of dog crap but I think it would have meant something to Wayne.

Date: April 27, 2024 03:30

Paddy
I can’t believe they waited till Wayne Kramer passed before inducting the MC5. They should have at the very least been inducted same night as The Stooges. I think only Dennis Thompson is still alive to accept this sham award. The thing is a Joke and I’m glad The Pistols gave it the finger when they were nominated and I’m glad Liam had his speak also. IF they just called it the music hall of fame I could accept it better, but there’s no real rock n roll hall of fame that would leave out the MC5 from being inducted for 30 years. I know it’s a pile of dog crap but I think it would have meant something to Wayne.

Legitimately, I imagine they finally got in BECAUSE Wayne died. Its happened numerous times, that deserving people have been alive, against all odds, for decades, and once they die the hall is like "you know what, they're worthy." Great, now that they aren't here to accept it. Happened with Lou Reed too, and incredibly I guess won't happen with Ozzy Osbourne. Horrifically disrespectful. Wayne should absolutely have been there, or at least told them to f off if he was still alive.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 27, 2024 06:02

RollingFreak
Paddy

Legitimately, I imagine they finally got in BECAUSE Wayne died. Its happened numerous times, that deserving people have been alive, against all odds, for decades, and once they die the hall is like "you know what, they're worthy." Great, now that they aren't here to accept it. Happened with Lou Reed too, and incredibly I guess won't happen with Ozzy Osbourne. Horrifically disrespectful. Wayne should absolutely have been there, or at least told them to f off if he was still alive.

You’re right and I knew that while I was typing my rant and you’re again right this wouldn’t be the first time they pulled a move like this.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1374
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home