Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIP Frank Farian, Founder of Milli Vanilli and Boney M
Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: January 24, 2024 01:26

The Master of Disco died.
Milli Vanilli (yes he even sang the vocals)
Boney M.
Silver Convention
Penny Mc Lean
Eruption
to name a few.
Over 800 Million productions (singles & albums) sold worldwide.
Not an easy person.
But a genius recording artist.
Let it dance in heaven!

Frank Farian, Founder of Milli Vanilli and Boney M, Dead at 82 (RollingStone.com)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-24 17:21 by bv.

Re: RIP Frank Farian
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 24, 2024 02:31

RIP Daddy Cool

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 24, 2024 02:55

Rest in Peace, Frank Farian - and Thank You for the Music.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 24, 2024 03:33

Is it bad that I still own, and listen with some irregular regularity, my Milli Vanilli CD's?!?!!?!? Man, that was some classic 90's pop!!! Whomever they were!!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 24, 2024 04:13

VoodooLounige13
Is it bad that I still own, and listen with some irregular regularity, my Milli Vanilli CD's?!?!!?!? Man, that was some classic 90's pop!!! Whomever they were!!!

That's pretty bad. You can blame it on something...

Date: January 24, 2024 07:07

treaclefingers
VoodooLounige13

…..you know it’s true

Date: January 24, 2024 14:22

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounige13

…..you know it’s true

It's a tragedy to see.

Posted by: stonesurvive ()
Date: January 24, 2024 19:41

Boney M is an incredible band, and all of the other productions are great. MV is probably the only low point of Clive Davis' stellar career, and artist choices...................

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: January 24, 2024 21:30

VoodooLounge13

No excuse for something like that

Re: RIP Frank Farian, Founder of Milli Vanilli and Boney M
Date: January 24, 2024 23:21

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: January 24, 2024 23:32

Legendary producer, his work with Boney M alone is outstanding, all those happy singalong hits. RIP Mr Farian.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 25, 2024 00:53

I proudly play Boney M all the time, Frank was fire. RIP to a king.

Date: January 25, 2024 17:00

skytrench
Legendary producer, his work with Boney M alone is outstanding, all those happy singalong hits. RIP Mr Farian.

OMG...I thought that was Hugh Grant for a second.

Date: January 25, 2024 21:24

I was thinking Tommy James myself.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 25, 2024 23:53

VoodooLounge13

I’m in your corner. I still even play the “The Real Milli Vanilli” album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-25 23:55 by BowieStone.

Date: January 26, 2024 18:13

BowieStone
VoodooLounge13

Not sure I know about this real Milli Vanilli album. Will have to seek out that one now! Thanks.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: January 26, 2024 18:27

Milli Vanilli, they were those two guys who did not sing one song themselves... grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley They only moved their lips to the singing of someone else... grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 26, 2024 18:41

wiredallnight
Milli Vanilli, they were those two guys who did not sing one song themselves... grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley They only moved their lips to the singing of someone else... grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

It was the same thing with Boney M but no one made any fuzz about that. And... it's the same thing with many other artists due to new recording techniques.
And singback and playback is still frequent. Poor Milli Vanilli were made scapegoats for all of that. They didn't deserve that.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 26, 2024 19:45

VoodooLounge13
BowieStone
VoodooLounge13

Not sure I know about this real Milli Vanilli album. Will have to seek out that one now! Thanks.

Keep on Running was a small hit in Europe and I believe the only track from the album that is available on streaming services… but the entire album is fire winking smiley

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: January 26, 2024 23:24

Despicable: everything FF stood for, his "music" and his scams.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 27, 2024 00:27

Over 800 Million productions (singles & albums) sold worldwide.?

That's more then the Beatles and Michael Jackson sold together

Posted by: girl2003 ()
Date: January 27, 2024 20:43

In 1965 Frankie Farian & die Schatten did "Ein Herz aus Stein", the German "Heart of Stone" version. (one very early Jagger/Richards composition/Rolling Stones song... for all you Milli Vanilli afficionados here.) It was the b-side to "Yakety Yak".

In the mid sixties the band played lots of concerts (mostly for US-American GI-clubs) in the South Western part of Germany.

You can look the 7" (including its sound) up here:
[www.45cat.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 28, 2024 03:45

THE AUSTRALIAN ---- 27 January 2024

ROCKMAN

Date: January 28, 2024 19:52

The guy was a successful singer/songwriter/producer/manager/businessman. He is not the only one in that category. I don't think he was a monster like he's portrayed by some here.
He didn't invent playback/editing/voiceover/singback. Those have always been tricks of the trade.

Date: January 29, 2024 01:30

girl2003
In 1965 Frankie Farian & die Schatten did "Ein Herz aus Stein", the German "Heart of Stone" version. (one very early Jagger/Richards composition/Rolling Stones song... for all you Milli Vanilli afficionados here.) It was the b-side to "Yakety Yak".

In the mid sixties the band played lots of concerts (mostly for US-American GI-clubs) in the South Western part of Germany.

You can look the 7" (including its sound) up here:
[www.45cat.com]

Well aware of Heart of Stone. This IS a Stones board after all!!!

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: January 29, 2024 11:51

Rest in Peace, Frank Farian.
Hinterm Horizont geht`s weiter ....
Thank You - Danke.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: January 29, 2024 15:09

Yes, thank you so much for the music Frank.

Rockman lost me completely there, why repost Alan Howe's blatantly biased and disrespectful orbituary for someone who has created much happiness with music ?

Gotta love Liz Mitchell's sweet voice, yeah I know it's playback.

And the stunning Precious Wilson singing live to a backing track.

Oh, so you don't like that style of music ? Better vent it on other places than the memorial thread punk.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 29, 2024 18:49

Oh yeah, when I was a small kid, Boney M was a household name and all their hits - Daddy Cool, Rasputin, Rivers of Babylon, etc. - were like a soundtrack for the times, played on the radio all the time. Probably even more than, say, Village People or even ABBA. This was the days of innocence for me, before I started to listen rock music and started taking the whole thing 'seriously'. .. Probably still today when I hear the term 'disco music', it is Boney M that comes first to my mind.

Later, I somehow recall the controversary surrounding Milli Vanilli, but since I had been by then a serious music snob for years, their music totally escaped me. That said, I recall reading about that the singer of Boney M didn't actually do the vocals, but at the time it was more like 'so what?'.

Not before this thread I had no idea of Frank Farian, but interesting read about his career, him being the brains behind both of Boney M and Milli Vanilly and many others. The history of pop music includes incredible characters. All kudos for him for having the balls to do all that!

But that Australian piece shared by Rockman made me laugh. The writer, being so over the top in his dead seriousness, makes himself such a fool.. Relax, man, it's only pop music.. Besides, the man just died.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-29 18:56 by Doxa.

Date: January 29, 2024 20:43

Stock Aitken Waterman comes to mind. They produced the music and then picked the artist. I don't think they did singback though. The most popular English hit list show at the time, Top Of The Pops, was all playback as far as I know. So fake is nothing new in pop music...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2325
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home