Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: If you had to pick just one Rolling Stones album
Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: January 23, 2024 13:20

Bridges to Babylon

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 23, 2024 15:19

Bridges, A Bigger Bang, Steel Wheels, Dirty Work, Hackney Diamonds, Voodoo Lounge.

In that order.

Mathijs

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 23, 2024 15:32

Whilst we're in the world of what if ?

I'll simply strip the best tracks from all of them tocompile a killer of a double album

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 23, 2024 16:29

Witness
treaclefingers
I guess another way of asking, what is their best album since Undercover?

I think it's clearly Hackney Diamonds, I'd give Steel Wheels some props as well.

Both albums feel like they were delivered with passion and purpose and great music, particularly HD.

In fact, if HD had been the follow up to Tattoo You, or instead of Dirty Work?

I think it would have sold nearly as well, or maybe more. Can you imagine SSoH with Whitney Houston playing the Lady Gaga role?

To your last question!
Absolutely not! Thankfully, she (WH) isn't!

In 1986? Get over yourself!

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 23, 2024 16:42

Hackney Diamonds, A Bigger Bang, Voodoo Lounge, Dirty Work and Steel Wheels, in that order (I wouldn't bother about Bridges To Babylon).

Re: If You Had To Pick Just One..
Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: January 23, 2024 17:20

liddas
Dirty Work for mee too; it may not be the best, but if I am to be left with only one stones album, at least it has Charlie, Bill and Stu on it!

C

Good point liddas

Date: January 23, 2024 17:26

VoodooLounge13
Do I even have to type it out???

Of course not, and I agree with you 1000000000%! A beautiful, warm and rocking album and the best drums I ever heard in my life

Date: January 23, 2024 17:41

windmelody
Steel Wheels, Bridges to Babylon comes close. A great thread, thank you Dedospegajosos!

Thank YOU Windmelody!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: January 23, 2024 17:55

Maybe Hackney Diamonds, then Steel Wheels, Bridges to Babylon, Voodoo Lounge, A Bigger Bang, Dirty Work

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 23, 2024 18:14

Hackney, not even close. Strongest of the bunch

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: January 23, 2024 18:15

I'll take Dirty Work or Voodoo Lounge.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 23, 2024 18:28

Voodoo lounge - easy.

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: January 23, 2024 19:09

Totally agree with Spud !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-23 19:11 by cimaz.

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: January 23, 2024 19:22

Live album: GET YER...
Studio album: Exile...
Both with bonus

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: January 23, 2024 20:00

Very very tough question.....so in reverse order.....

6. Bigger Bang would be in last place. Just can never get into this album no matter how much I try. Lyrics on many songs are just dreadful. Sorry. Maybe one day I will like this album.....

5. Prob Bridges. I really like some of the songs (love Thief in The Night), but there are a few which are poor. Also production isn't the best.

4. Voodoo. Again, I love some of the songs (Out of Tears), but again there are some which I think are not of a high standard and Stones by numbers.

3. Steel Wheels. Was the great come back album. Slipping Away one of my fav Stones songs and there are some other crackers. However a few which drags it down and I think the production hasn't aged well.

2. Dirty Work. As someone said above, last time Stu, Bill and Charlie all on an album with Ronnie, Mick n Keef. Production we know is not great in places but was the first proper new Stones album I got just after I got into them in 85. So perhaps a nostalgia selection.

1. Hackney Diamonds. I think there are so many great songs. Sounds fresh and new. Stones 23. Also the magical rhythm section of Bill n Charlie on a couple of tracks. Great new perspective production. SSoH incredible song which gives me goose bumps. So I'm going for this for my number one.

Perhaps my selections might change once HD is 5-10 years is old, and I can properly review it once the novelty (maybe) wears off.....

Looking at Bigger Bang, Bridges and Voodoo, I think the albums really miss Bill. Not enough swing, and too much rock without the roll. Its one of the reasons we love them and sets them apart from the thud thud thud, of so many rock groups. I also feel the production doesn't capture the band - you almost could tell what the albums were gonna sound like before they were issued. Predictable. I think my running order would be different if Bill had been on them and they'd used other producers.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 23, 2024 22:11

..Voodoo lounge..underrated...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 23, 2024 22:28

treaclefingers
Witness
treaclefingers

I think it's clearly Hackney Diamonds, I'd give Steel Wheels some props as well.

Both albums feel like they were delivered with passion and purpose and great music, particularly HD.

I think it would have sold nearly as well, or maybe more. Can you imagine SSoH with Whitney Houston playing the Lady Gaga role?

To your last question!

You wrote about WH in a separate paragraph, but more or less as to the present song idea. I reacted to that question isolated referring to the only version I know about. I did not write about Lady Gaga as such at this or that hypothetical another point in time.

Date: January 24, 2024 14:27

Witness
treaclefingers
Witness
treaclefingers

To your last question!

You wrote about WH in a separate paragraph, but more or less as to the present song idea. I reacted to that question isolated referring to the only version I know about. I did not write about Lady Gaga as such at this or that hypothetical another point in time.

Well what I wasn't doing was comparing Lady Gaga or Whitney Houston, only ridiculously hypothesizing if HD had been released in 1986 instead of DW, with Whitney Houston who was the megaplatinum flavour of the day on SSoH.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: January 24, 2024 15:16

Steel wheels

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 24, 2024 15:24

Since most seem to be listing the order........

Voodoo
Bridges
Dirty
Steel
Bang
Hackney

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 24, 2024 16:22

Hackney
Blue & Lonesome
Voodoo
Bang
Bridges
Steel
Dirty

Date: January 24, 2024 17:03

VoodooLounge13

Voodoo
Bridges
Dirty
Steel
Bang
Hackney

you have an agenda! HD is getting a lot of top votes.

In terms of quality, my order of preference would be:

HD
Steel Wheels
ABB
Voodoo
Bridges
Dirty Work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-24 17:05 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 24, 2024 17:52

Hackney Diamonds

Bridges
Bang
Steel Wheels
Blue & Lonesome
Voodoo

Date: January 24, 2024 18:41

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13

Voodoo
Bridges
Dirty
Steel
Bang
Hackney

HD
Steel Wheels
ABB
Voodoo
Bridges
Dirty Work

No agenda. I've been very transparent in my luke warm reception of HD. I'd say it seems to be a pretty close battle between HD and VL. HD has a LOT of the elements for which I was hoping - diverse musical types, better Jagger vocals. But it just feels completely flat and empty. And it's just not growing on me.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 24, 2024 20:16

VL13: Completely agree on your top and bottom picks.

Haven't said anything so far, but not thrilled with HD, except happy they were able to finish and release it.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: January 24, 2024 20:35

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13

Voodoo
Bridges
Dirty
Steel
Bang
Hackney

HD
Steel Wheels
ABB
Voodoo
Bridges
Dirty Work

No agenda. I've been very transparent in my luke warm reception of HD. I'd say it seems to be a pretty close battle between HD and VL. HD has a LOT of the elements for which I was hoping - diverse musical types, better Jagger vocals. But it just feels completely flat and empty. And it's just not growing on me.

Ha sorry! I thought you were summarizing the findings...don't know why I thought that, but now I realize you were just listing your order of preferency.

Sorry, my mistake.

Date: January 24, 2024 20:45

Well thanks, angee. I am most certainly taking a beating 'round here!!! I get I'm in the minority with HD, but I don't begrudge anyone who loves ER, U, SG, the early 60's stuff, and B&L. Most of the time I don't even respond, but IDK I feel like I'm not allowed to not like HD!!!! SOME thing is missing for me. What that is IDK, but it lacks IT, whatever IT is.......... Grit? Bite? Snap? Edge? I guess it's hard for 80yo's to have any of that, I suppose. TMS is great, though seeming unfinished. I wish the lyrics were flushed out more, but what is there, I do truly enjoy. And there are some very good lyrics - Too Old to Lose, too Young to Die. Solid. But overall....I just don't do repeat listens. I try revisiting it, but my view doesn't change, and SSOH I really don't understand the love at all. I'm happy they produced a new album, finally! Look forward to the upcoming tour and adding some new songs to my list of songs heard live, and I do really hope they win a Grammy, which I think they will. For me, HD just continues a downward trend that started with ABB, which wasn't nearly as strong as B2B, but which I still very much enjoyed at the time. B&L I didn't even buy on release date, so that should tell you how thrilled I was to get that offering, and now HD. I don't mean to sound like a broken record. Maybe I should have had lower expectations and all would have been well..............

Date: January 25, 2024 17:27

VoodooLounge13
Well thanks, angee. I am most certainly taking a beating 'round here!!! I get I'm in the minority with HD, but I don't begrudge anyone who loves ER, U, SG, the early 60's stuff, and B&L. Most of the time I don't even respond, but IDK I feel like I'm not allowed to not like HD!!!! SOME thing is missing for me. What that is IDK, but it lacks IT, whatever IT is.......... Grit? Bite? Snap? Edge? I guess it's hard for 80yo's to have any of that, I suppose. TMS is great, though seeming unfinished. I wish the lyrics were flushed out more, but what is there, I do truly enjoy. And there are some very good lyrics - Too Old to Lose, too Young to Die. Solid. But overall....I just don't do repeat listens. I try revisiting it, but my view doesn't change, and SSOH I really don't understand the love at all. I'm happy they produced a new album, finally! Look forward to the upcoming tour and adding some new songs to my list of songs heard live, and I do really hope they win a Grammy, which I think they will. For me, HD just continues a downward trend that started with ABB, which wasn't nearly as strong as B2B, but which I still very much enjoyed at the time. B&L I didn't even buy on release date, so that should tell you how thrilled I was to get that offering, and now HD. I don't mean to sound like a broken record. Maybe I should have had lower expectations and all would have been well..............

I agree with you Voodoo, Hackney lacks personality, soul , every record with the stones feels like a reunion with old frends, after I hear them I feel like I spent a great time hanging around with this guys, but not with Hackney... it feels somewhat artificial, like a jingle, as if it was watered down for today audencies who don´t have large attention span. It is the ONLY record I don´t love, besides A bigger Bang and Its only Rock n roll, but that´s because of the way they were mixed, not the material. Sorry for my English.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-25 17:29 by dedospegajosos.

Date: January 25, 2024 18:31

As a wise man once said, opinions are like *ssholes...

That said, here is one opinion...HD fares better than any post Some Girls album, except Tattoo You.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

I think both Undercover and Tattoo You should have been rated higher, but otherwise I think is a pretty good ranking.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: January 25, 2024 19:42

floodonthepage
Steel Wheels

Runner up:
Bridges

Same for me, I think.

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home