Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: LIVE AT THE WILTERN - Official Release of Complete Show!!
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 9, 2024 16:16

Watched it last night. Loved it. In my opinion it’s a better theater show than Paris on Four Flicks. More energetic for the most part. That said “That’s how strong my love is” from Paris can not be surpassed. Jagger at his best

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: March 9, 2024 16:32

What are some of the best club shows you guys would recommend?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 9, 2024 17:18

philrock90
What are some of the best club shows you guys would recommend?

Paradiso 1995, Oylmia 1995 and Brixton 1995 – all three complete shows on Totally Stripped (4 DVD/BR+1 CD) edition. (the second Paradiso shows remains unreleased…)

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: March 9, 2024 17:22

went to the record store and they told me the bluray was in short supply they said
whoever needs it probably has to be fast

Posted by: fuwa ()
Date: March 9, 2024 20:18

Blur-ray sub par too.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: March 9, 2024 20:43

fuwa
Blur-ray sub par too.

Like these comments here.

Date: March 9, 2024 20:46

What do you expect from a show shot on video? Like past releases the footage will only be abit of an increase from the dvd

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 9, 2024 21:56

Dan
RollingFreak
Very good recording. Any Stones release is better than nothing. Sound is good, playing is good, and its a cool club show with an interesting setlist. About all you can ask for.

Having said that, and I'm sure its a broken record excuse, but it just comes so late for it to matter. I'm glad the Stones started opening their vaults in 2011, we've gotten a lot of great shows from it. It REALLY sucks it happened so late, cause most of these are nothing more than a footnote to most of us. I guess there are a bunch of you that will listen to it religiously, but I think most of us, like I just did, will listen to it once and thats about it. I can't see why I'd ever revisit this. Its fine, but its not them in their prime. Its not even something I really haven't heard before. The Olympia show from the Four Flicks box set will mean more because I've listened to it for over 20 years. Thats just how it is. Same with Bruce Springsteen's live archives. Its nice, and it'll be great for future generations, maybe, cause they will have that readily available to listen to. But most of these late releases won't overshadowed stuff we've heard for decades, and there was a medium to release this stuff back then. Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but to me if I'm being completely honest, its a nice Stones show from 20 years ago that was fun to hear once and now I'll never put it on again.

Maybe I'm alone in my thoughts, and I don't mean to be a downer if this isn't the right place for that. Don't want to rain on the parade of a release people are happy with.

I agree it's way too late. Just because we are now swimming in content now. I might wanna watch over and over but probably won't have the time. A new Sex Pistols soundboard just popped up. Too bad the person I know most excited is already dead. Really, if you still got something, put it out now while there are still people alive who care.

Amazon delayed my package until Sunday and didn't feel like schlepping all the way to Amoeba if I am not already going out.

Guns N Roses put out one of their rehearsals shows from the Ritz on their Use Your Illusion tour with that box set a year ago. Its maybe the best video they've ever put out. Incredible quality, lots of new songs at the time, still Izzy there, done by a band that really still feels hungry and interested in this material. And its a rehearsal show, so its loose, its fun, it feels like something you don't often get from them. Its a 10 out of 10 release, but probably something most fans won't watch more than once or twice. Its just no one has the time anymore. This stuff isn't being shown anywhere, there's too much content as you say these days. Its just not gonna get the time of day it should. Same with Bruce Springsteen when he released a show from Tempe from 1980 on his River box set. Maybe Bruce and the band at their best, but it just came out way too late for anyone to care. Again, its hindsight, but its truly sad, cause these could be tentpoles of their catalogue and they just cashed in on it far too late to make a different.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 9, 2024 21:59

Again, should make it clear I really enjoyed the release. Deep cut after deep cut, even if most were pretty standard for those theater shows on that tour. Its a really fun listen to get something different than just warhorse after warhorse. They sound great and its an immensely fun show to hear to hear something diferent from them. I just don't assume I'll ever really feel the need to pull it out again at this point.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: March 10, 2024 03:33

RollingFreak
Again, should make it clear I really enjoyed the release. Deep cut after deep cut, even if most were pretty standard for those theater shows on that tour. Its a really fun listen to get something different than just warhorse after warhorse. They sound great and its an immensely fun show to hear to hear something diferent from them. I just don't assume I'll ever really feel the need to pull it out again at this point.

Likely in the same boat, I will probably put a few songs in a playlist, but doubt I’ll listen to it all the way through again.

P.S. I found some of songs to absolute stellar performances. No Expectations to Dance and Can’t You Hear Me Knocking really stand out.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-10 03:35 by rattler2004.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: March 10, 2024 12:10

I read that the dvd has 5.1 sound but bluray is only stereo. Could this be true? Hard to believe.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 10, 2024 13:15

padre69

I read that the dvd has 5.1 sound but bluray is only stereo.

In the lower left corner, the Japanese BluRay says "2. DTS-HD MA (24bit/48kHz) 5.1 ch" and the DVD is 5.1 too:

[www.eBay.com]

[www.eBay.com]

But only the mention of "DTS-HD Master Audio" without the number of channels in the BluRay standard version:

[en.todocoleccion.net] , [www.eBay.com]

Dolby 5.1 Audio in the digital version on [TV.Apple.com] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-10 13:45 by Irix.

Date: March 10, 2024 20:03

Will they complete thr trilogy and release a stadium show?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: March 10, 2024 22:13

padre69
I read that the dvd has 5.1 sound but bluray is only stereo. Could this be true? Hard to believe.

My made in German Blu Ray got a 5.1 mix but it's not really good. The stereo chanel is way better.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: March 10, 2024 23:21

philrock90

Hopefully the full Twickenham show is my guess. I don’t expect the fully filmed Amsterdam show from august 2003 which has a major f### up in brown sugar although 3 songs were bonus tracks on a previous release

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 11, 2024 01:39

These post-Wyman concert releases are indeed a one time listen/watch, and never again. That's the way it was with Sticky Fingers at the Fonda. Once, for free from local library, and that's it. I haven't watched my Four Flicks or The Biggest Bang in years. However I have listened to El Mocambo repeatedly. And Hackney Diamonds, which is the first Stones album/DVD I've listened to/watched over and over since Steel Wheels, especially the Atlantic City concert.

Date: March 11, 2024 02:23

I feel the same way about the post Wyman releases. Say what you want about Darryl but it doesn't have the same feel. I also think their album sound has lost a bit as well.

I too listened to El Mocambo several times and Hackney Diamonds on vinyl is great. Better than the CD sound.

I was at Miami 94, Atlantic City 89, St. Louis 97 so those would be the ones I watch. Four Flicks and A Bigger Bang are one and done.

I was also at MSG 2003 and that would be the most recent video I watch. I have seen Sticky Fingers live a few times. They show it on PBS here a couple times of year.

Hampton however is still the one I watch the most. I was down in front.

24FPS
These post-Wyman concert releases are indeed a one time listen/watch, and never again. That's the way it was with Sticky Fingers at the Fonda. Once, for free from local library, and that's it. I haven't watched my Four Flicks or The Biggest Bang in years. However I have listened to El Mocambo repeatedly. And Hackney Diamonds, which is the first Stones album/DVD I've listened to/watched over and over since Steel Wheels, especially the Atlantic City concert.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 11, 2024 02:57

philrock90

They filmed all 3 Munich shows. I would love that stadium show.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 11, 2024 10:48

Quite pleased with the vinyl.

The mix is ok , the levels sensible .

Won't regret buying this one.

[Club and theatre show releases usually seem to come out ok ...it's the stadium and arena shows which tend to be terribly mixed, often with barely audible guitars ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-11 10:58 by Spud.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 11, 2024 12:59

RollingFreak
Dan
RollingFreak
Very good recording. Any Stones release is better than nothing. Sound is good, playing is good, and its a cool club show with an interesting setlist. About all you can ask for.

Having said that, and I'm sure its a broken record excuse, but it just comes so late for it to matter. I'm glad the Stones started opening their vaults in 2011, we've gotten a lot of great shows from it. It REALLY sucks it happened so late, cause most of these are nothing more than a footnote to most of us. I guess there are a bunch of you that will listen to it religiously, but I think most of us, like I just did, will listen to it once and thats about it. I can't see why I'd ever revisit this. Its fine, but its not them in their prime. Its not even something I really haven't heard before. The Olympia show from the Four Flicks box set will mean more because I've listened to it for over 20 years. Thats just how it is. Same with Bruce Springsteen's live archives. Its nice, and it'll be great for future generations, maybe, cause they will have that readily available to listen to. But most of these late releases won't overshadowed stuff we've heard for decades, and there was a medium to release this stuff back then. Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but to me if I'm being completely honest, its a nice Stones show from 20 years ago that was fun to hear once and now I'll never put it on again.

Maybe I'm alone in my thoughts, and I don't mean to be a downer if this isn't the right place for that. Don't want to rain on the parade of a release people are happy with.

I agree it's way too late. Just because we are now swimming in content now. I might wanna watch over and over but probably won't have the time. A new Sex Pistols soundboard just popped up. Too bad the person I know most excited is already dead. Really, if you still got something, put it out now while there are still people alive who care.

Amazon delayed my package until Sunday and didn't feel like schlepping all the way to Amoeba if I am not already going out.

Guns N Roses put out one of their rehearsals shows from the Ritz on their Use Your Illusion tour with that box set a year ago. Its maybe the best video they've ever put out. Incredible quality, lots of new songs at the time, still Izzy there, done by a band that really still feels hungry and interested in this material. And its a rehearsal show, so its loose, its fun, it feels like something you don't often get from them. Its a 10 out of 10 release, but probably something most fans won't watch more than once or twice. Its just no one has the time anymore. This stuff isn't being shown anywhere, there's too much content as you say these days. Its just not gonna get the time of day it should. Same with Bruce Springsteen when he released a show from Tempe from 1980 on his River box set. Maybe Bruce and the band at their best, but it just came out way too late for anyone to care. Again, its hindsight, but its truly sad, cause these could be tentpoles of their catalogue and they just cashed in on it far too late to make a different.

Fully agree with your points about releasing so much great material this late in the day.

While it wasn't clear 20 yrs ago if the masters of these shows still existed, their contemporary release shows that they did exist and could have been released back then.

I'm guessing it boils down to a few things with the Stones 1/Jagger's apparent disinterest in the band's history and 2/perhaps more shrewdly, holding the legacy material back as a contingency revenue stream.

When I think back to the initial online releases of Brussels '73 and LA '75 around 2009 (iirc), that does seem to dovetail with the start of the big gap between studio albums. They needed some income and PR to fill the gap and were sitting on a pile of old live shows.

Posted by: sotob ()
Date: March 11, 2024 13:12

All this talk about bad mixing on various DVD, etc...IMO the "Licked in NYC" has such a great mix and set list! Keith in the right channel and Ronnie in the left.

To me that is great release. Keith just tears it up in IORR!! I checked out other 2003 shows and again on 1/18/03 Keith was on the ball! Wish I could find more like 1/18/03.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 11, 2024 15:04

Maybe I should check out "Licked in NYC" ...

That one seems to have flown under my radar.

Posted by: Jalfstra ()
Date: March 11, 2024 15:44

Too bad they still don't make LP + BR packages from these releases. I love to watch the show and listen to it on vinyl. Now I have to spend like €75 for two packages, and I will probably never touch the CD's...

The majority of vault releases I just went for the stand-alone Blu-ray versions. Except for El Mocambom Paradiso 95 and Steel Wheels Live. Those three I also have on vinyl. I'm not sure yet if I like The Wiltern show enough to justify a double dip.

Posted by: Justjon ()
Date: March 11, 2024 17:43

Just my opinion of course, BUT...this is a great release, period! Everyone can nitpick all they want but this show would have been my dream come true (and I have seen them 80+ times since 1972). Can't wait for upcoming 2024 shows (3 shows booked so far).

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 11, 2024 20:18

What I hate about this release is packaging. Those multi-panels paper sleeves are pain. I was struggling to remove discs from 3-panels 2CD version but 4-panels DVD+2CD is even worse. One must be extremely caution during extract/insert process. This type of sleeves can be easily torn and discs can be scratched instantly. Why they were saving pennies on the packaging? Multi-panels digipaks were not the best either, but at least they were relatively tough and discs were planted safely in the holders.
3-panels version for 2CD

4-panels version for DVD+2CD

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: March 11, 2024 23:12

Just ordered it. The whole archive releases since 2010 or so have in the most part been class. Some mixing was bizarre, yes, like Voodoo Miami. But overall, even the last few - Licks Live NYC, have been a blast. A lot of real gems over the last decade plus.

Finally also ordered with it the 30th Anniv 2-CD Main Offender. Love the album much more now than I did in the 90s.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: March 12, 2024 04:10

I was there! This is a great release.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 12, 2024 04:28

1 listen, CD ... sounds pretty good to me

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: March 12, 2024 10:30

CDs sound great on my stereo. Maybe some guys are talking about what they hear when listening to the music as mp3 on their smart phone ;-)
Performance is great. Like this one as much as El Mocambo...
...and much more than Olympia 2003.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: March 12, 2024 16:02

I am happy for the formats and having had to wait years and not buy the bootgles that are expensive and poor quality and it will be impossible for there to be a red carbany on vinyl

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home