Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: LIVE AT THE WILTERN - Official Release of Complete Show!!
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 7, 2024 13:49

On several Licks shows I noticed they had a habit of smoking big joints before or during the show. At Vredenburg Keith smoked a big joint on stage (considered quite childish in The Netherlands...), and 10 minutes later he was completely out of it, hardly being able to play guitar. At Olympia you could see Wood smoke a joint backstage, and he was just completely out of it during the show, to the extent they turned him down. In Rotterdam De Kuip Keith was enjoying Toots & The Maytals from behind one of the speaker columns, smoking a big joint. He played a horrible show afterword. At Astoria they appeared on stage lifeless and motionless, god knows what they smoked before the show.

Mathijs

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 7, 2024 14:41

They used to act like a pair of big kids for much of the time ...each evidently a bad influence on the other.

It didn't really abate much until Keith's bump on the head caused him to modify his lifestyle somewhat.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 7, 2024 15:05

90 seconds preview snippets - [Music.Apple.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-08 12:10 by Irix.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: March 7, 2024 15:21

Mathijs
On several Licks shows I noticed they had a habit of smoking big joints before or during the show. At Vredenburg Keith smoked a big joint on stage (considered quite childish in The Netherlands...), and 10 minutes later he was completely out of it, hardly being able to play guitar. At Olympia you could see Wood smoke a joint backstage, and he was just completely out of it during the show, to the extent they turned him down. In Rotterdam De Kuip Keith was enjoying Toots & The Maytals from behind one of the speaker columns, smoking a big joint. He played a horrible show afterword. At Astoria they appeared on stage lifeless and motionless, god knows what they smoked before the show.

Mathijs

It’s hard for me to imagine Keith and Ronnie were ever completely straight on stage. But something, probably age, happened to Ronnie in 1999 and to Keith in 2002 — their ability to tolerate substances fell off a cliff. Loose became sloppy. But even now, when they’ve cleaned up their act, it’s not like they’ve regained their form.

Date: March 7, 2024 16:00

Not sure it was their ability to tolerate substances that was altogether the issue.

Just as much down to them overdoing it, safe in the knowledge that in the modern show format they could get away with it .

Date: March 7, 2024 16:14

Spud
Not sure it was their ability to tolerate substances that was altogether the issue.

Just as much down to them overdoing it, safe in the knowledge that in the modern show format they could get away with it .

There’s definitely something to that. The horns, the backup vox, the keys — a sonic safety get, so to speak.

Still: listen to that clip of Tumbling above. When Keith starts noodling, the bottom completely falls out of the song. The same thing happens to YCAGWYW when he decides to play fills. He might be hearing the full ensemble in his stage blend. But, in the house, the balloon deflates.

And the “modern” began in 1989. The overt sloppiness didn’t rear its head for another 10 years.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 7, 2024 16:45

Mathijs

Mathijs

amazing that one joint has such an enormous influence on them – given they should be used to it…

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 7, 2024 16:57

I still can’t believe they were smoking at that point. Hmm.

Date: March 7, 2024 17:06

Some folks might call it unprofessional and disrespectful to their audience.

Others might just say "..that's Keith & Ronnie for you...very naughty boys, can't take 'em anywhere !"

I suppose I fall broadly into the latter cohort grinning smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 7, 2024 17:20

Hand of Fate. Nice
Stay Cat Blues. Wonderful
Thru and Thru. Lovely
Dance Pt 1. Atrocious
No Expectations. Superb
Bitch. Fantastic
That’s how Strong My Love is. Amazing
Everybody Needs Something To Love. Marvellous.
Beast of Burden. Beautiful

As close as I’ll ever get to The Enmore Sydney Licks show I guess.

Rod

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 7, 2024 17:22

frankotero
I still can’t believe they were smoking at that point. Hmm.

Keith appeared to smoke a joint in Nashville 2021 next to Steve Jordan.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 7, 2024 17:35

To be fair, I saw five concerts in 2003, and in general, the guitars were tight and delivered. I have all the boots of the concerts I saw to prove it.

The only concert that was slightly flat was Copenhagen. Milano remains one of the best Stones concerts I've ever seen. The premiere in Munich, like all openings, had some very good performances and a couple of disasters. Zurich and Marseille were excellent.

C

Date: March 7, 2024 18:06

the booklet says Ronnie Wood on guitar and keyboards(!)
(I guess the 'keyboards' is pedal steel…)

Date: March 7, 2024 18:10

slewan

I think he played keys on “You Don’t Have to Mean It.”

Date: March 7, 2024 18:36

MelBelli
slewan

I think he played keys on “You Don’t Have to Mean It.”

I didn't know/never heard about it

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: March 7, 2024 19:02

You don’t have to mean it, Bitch, Beast, Rock me baby I believe have all been released before on the Four Flicks disc 1 “ the bootlegs”

Date: March 7, 2024 20:14

a few impression after I watched maybe the half of it.

- it's amazing how young everybody looks (except for Neil Young who is shown in the audience right at the beginning and who looks quite old)

- Hand of Fate – seems like there is a shortage of power somewhere in the middle… where's the energy the song requires?

- a lot of posing by our guitar heros, less playing though…

- for anyone who remembers the 1995 club shows (Paradiso, Brixton, Olympia) 'Live at the Wiltern' is sometimes painful to watch and witness the decline.

- Jagger and Watts do their jobs very well and thanks to the additional musicians the shown goes on (without them it might have turned into a debacle)

=> great setlist but a rather mediocre show. It must have been great to see the Stones in such a small venue but…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-07 20:19 by slewan.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: March 7, 2024 20:22

I am sorry but smoking a joint is not going to make someone that messed up that they can't play guitar, you gotta be kidding.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: March 7, 2024 20:30

Well known Ronnie plays keys on You Dont Have To Mean It

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 7, 2024 21:05

J-J-Flash
I am sorry but smoking a joint is not going to make someone that messed up that they can't play guitar, you gotta be kidding.

I was going to say the same thing. I thought I was reading one of those anti pot campaigns from the 1960's.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 7, 2024 21:41

just like saying in Jamaica music could not exist confused smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: March 7, 2024 21:49

I'd love some live material with Mick Taylor

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: March 7, 2024 22:02

Well, with the exception of Mocambo there is no hope on a decent, well mixed and produced live album release. There is really something completely off on the sound and production, based on the samples on QoBuz.

If you listen to Thru and Thru, the backup vox sound terrible (not the singing, only the sound), and the guitar by Keith sounds really recorded through an old radio without the warmth of the radio.

If this would be sold for 10 Euros, well okay then.

High quality recordings, production and mixes are not on anyones priority by the Stones. Alas. It really downgrades their (live) legacy.

It still is a mystery to me how one could mess up the awesome Atlantic City '89 recordings, when the broadcast bootleg already sounded great for an unofficial release.

Maybe that's where disco really really really really Mess It Up comes in?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-07 22:06 by Muddyw.

Date: March 7, 2024 22:51

Pretty much everything after No Security sounds the same: loud, harsh, cold.

Date: March 7, 2024 23:25

Muddyw
Well, with the exception of Mocambo there is no hope on a decent, well mixed and produced live album release. There is really something completely off on the sound and production, based on the samples on QoBuz.

If you listen to Thru and Thru, the backup vox sound terrible (not the singing, only the sound), and the guitar by Keith sounds really recorded through an old radio without the warmth of the radio.

High quality recordings, production and mixes are not on anyones priority by the Stones. Alas. It really downgrades their (live) legacy.

It still is a mystery to me how one could mess up the awesome Atlantic City '89 recordings, when the broadcast bootleg already sounded great for an unofficial release.

really gotta wonder who likes these mixes (beside the one who created them and, of course, Jagger)?

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 8, 2024 00:15

Mathijs

Mathijs

Are you for real, are we talking about pot or meth? Anti weed people... rather have Ronnie smoking pot then drinking any day

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 8, 2024 11:15

Muddyw

Compared to the quality of the sound mix on the third side of LYL, the complete release is also an outright downgrade.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 8, 2024 12:00

Listening for free - [www.YouTube.com] , [open.Spotify.com] .

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: March 8, 2024 14:18

RobertJohnson
Muddyw

Compared to the quality of the sound mix on the third side of LYL, the complete release is also an outright downgrade.

Agree. Weird decision by Mick adding an extra reverb.

About Wiltern (listening on Spotify/Tidal):

I just can't get out of my head how the hell they messed up a simple but beautiful guitar song like No Expectations. Keith should've played the acoustic three chords instead of Mick and instead of needless noodling on electric guitar. Ronnie should focus on that simple but Brian's effective slide part, on an acoustic and not electric, but instead messes it up from the beginning throughout the whole song.

Beast Of Burden without Keith's repetitive driving chords (again noodling around instead of playing powerfull) is not wat it once was on the album and live in 81.

And I think I know what one aspect is missing from the sound: bite, grit, a mean sound on the guitars. I think Stray Cat Blues comes close to a full and mean sound.

Hand Of Fate on Mocambo is way better played than this Wiltern version.

That's How Strong My Love Is is great on the other hand.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: March 8, 2024 14:26

Well, A for effort, but not their best clubshow….
The warhorses sound beter then the somewhat unknown songs, to me at least.

There is greatness in some songs, but too fragmented for me,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-08 14:35 by Rik.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2853
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home