Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: The Blur frontman/singer Damon Albarn “really pissed off” by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 9, 2023 19:22

A quote from a Los Angels Times interview from 2022:

Damon Albarn: ‘ Not to say that I didn’t absolutely love the Rolling Stones in their heyday — they were magnificent. But do other stuff in your life. Singing (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction when you’re pushing 80? Come on.'

So,look, he does appreciate the Stones’ greatness. I’m sure he’s a fan and admirer of the music produced during the time they truly mattered artistically.

In reality, there’s surely many people who share his view. There will undoubtedly be some of their fans from the 60’s who think it silly that they’re still belting-out hits from yesteryear; from their youth that is long gone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-09 19:25 by Big Al.

Re: The Blur frontman/singer Damon Albarn “really pissed off” by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 9, 2023 22:52

love Blur and Albarn, he might have some point in his criticism, but have to say up until now there's only one band that has sold tickets with both a last and a comeback tour, and that ain't the greedy stones

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 9, 2023 23:05

RKid's pronunciation of him fits perfectly: Damon Albuuuuurn.

Bleuuurrrggh

Re: Damon Albarn says he was “really pissed off” by The Rolling Stones
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 10, 2023 05:07

dcba
"accused the band of objectifying Sydney Sweeney"

LMAO. This idiot does not get the irony? 60 years ago the band irated people who were 30 years older than them.
Now Mick and the boys irate people who are 30 years younger than them.

Is not that wonderful?

It's brilliant.

Now they'll lean anywhere, man!

Never heard of this guy. Blur? WTF?

No idea.

Jealousy can be loud. This Damon guy is extremely loud.

Date: December 10, 2023 05:14

Big Al

Damon Albarn: ‘ Not to say that I didn’t absolutely love the Rolling Stones in their heyday — they were magnificent. But do other stuff in your life. Singing (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction when you’re pushing 80? Come on.'

So,look, he does appreciate the Stones’ greatness. I’m sure he’s a fan and admirer of the music produced during the time they truly mattered artistically.

In reality, there’s surely many people who share his view. There will undoubtedly be some of their fans from the 60’s who think it silly that they’re still belting-out hits from yesteryear; from their youth that is long gone.

This Damon guy obviously is clueless to the "other stuff" they've done.

They all have.

Every one of them.

Google can be great. If one chooses to be curious enough.

Damon whoever is a hob knob, a troglodyte.

Bet there's something coming out soon in regard to whatever shitshow past band he was in soon.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 10, 2023 08:10

Who is this Damon chump?

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: December 10, 2023 11:38

I love Damon and I love Blur. Amazing band and amazing artist.

Damon is saying what quite a few people have said for many years. Indeed, you only have to look at the 'angry' thread on this forum to see Stones fans saying exactly the same thing as him (about the video).

But...at the end of the day it always makes me laugh when artists and fans get wound up by other artists. Life is too short.

I love both the Stones and Blur. Both have given me life changing moments and music. My life is better for having them present.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-10 11:49 by petewasbristol.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 10, 2023 15:39

spikenyc
Damon sounds a little jealous here?
He should respect his elders! tongue sticking out smiley

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

He makes some valid points. And yes, that video was bad taste. Second-hand car salesmen selling their product by putting a girl in a bikini on top of it.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 10, 2023 15:47

Albarn may be a bit harsh,but it is true that singing Satisfaction at eighty might seem a little bizarre.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: December 10, 2023 17:33

Ok enough of this "Anti-Stonesite" talk! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 10, 2023 17:47

windmelody
Albarn may be a bit harsh,but it is true that singing Satisfaction at eighty might seem a little bizarre.

Any different than singing Revolution or My Generation?

Lots in the world to get up in arms about...the Rolling Stones having a pretty girl in a video doesn't crack the top ten for me.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 10, 2023 19:41

I'm trying not to chime in every time I hear someone complain about the girl in the Angry video. But seriously, what happened to "sex" drugs and rock and roll. I hope we don't start hearing about how the guitars or drums are too loud. Maybe Mick should tone down those offensive lyrics.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 10, 2023 20:09

Big Al
There will undoubtedly be some of their fans from the 60’s who think it silly that they’re still belting-out hits from yesteryear; from their youth that is long gone.

From my experience those are usually the people who got fat and grumpy with age and are jealous that Mick is still wiggling his ass at 80.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 10, 2023 21:16

Singing songs of youth when your grown up or old, can't see the problem. maybe the Stones have paved the way and now Damon can sing Girls & Boys at 55 with nonchalance

Date: December 10, 2023 23:04

Add to the list Alice Cooper I'm 18, kind of odd but still he's obligated I suppose.

Date: December 11, 2023 00:28

Excluding the possibility that this man has ever won a game.

With whom has this man ever tied a game?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: December 11, 2023 01:40

stargroover
Who is this Damon chump?

Google, dummy

Date: December 11, 2023 03:57

Big Al

Huh.

I've found every album to have something that mattered truly artistically.

This Damon guy is just an angry frustrated hack that's pinpointed The Rolling Stones' new album to gain publicity for his failure to be bigger back when that would've mattered - for obviously a brief moment.

Date: December 11, 2023 03:59

windmelody

Why or how might it be a little bizarre?

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: December 11, 2023 09:03

The internet really has robbed people of the ability to handle criticism.

I'd still spend a lot of money on Stones tickets if they came to Europe, I enjoyed Hackney Diamonds more than I expected and still love the guys. But it's mostly nostalgia - which I enjoy and it's what I pay for. I mean - it's my all time favorite band!

But I think Damon is right with everything he says. Damon is a different kind of artist. He'd never sell Gorillaz-themed alcohol, never rush a product or settle for a project which limits his creativity just to make money. He's done so many wonderful things over the past 30 years - with Blur, Tony Allen, Gorillaz, Solo - and he is still massively relevant with young people and music lovers. To say he's just being loud out of jealousy is just not true. He can do what he loves, while making a living.

And I think what is bizzare in singing Satisfaction at 80 is not really the age but that it makes a carricature out of the lyrics. The Stones are not a band anymore but a commercial machinery. Everything what they would have hated at 20.

And make no mistake - there's a difference between the Stones that pissed off the older generations in their early days and the Stones that allegedly now piss off the young folk. Sidney Sweeney is not in the video because they wanted to anger the "over-sensitive", but because they know exactly what their clientele looks like statistically. It's mostly older men, as mirrored by this forum. And they just watch the video a few times more and generate views if there's a hot chick with some boobs. It's as simple as that. So back then it might have been social provocation (but surely also a promo-strategy), now it's all part of a massive brand.

Date: December 11, 2023 09:13

Dan
stargroover
Who is this Damon chump?

Google, dummy

I also didn't know who he is. Googling him doesn't make him more important.

Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: December 11, 2023 09:19

Big Al

Maybe if this guy had an incredible back catalogue of some of the greatest rock n roll songs of all time, he just might find himself even a little bit proud to be singing even a few of them at age 80, or 70, or 60 or however old he is.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 11, 2023 11:19

Treaclefingers & GasLightStreet, it is great to have the Stones around, and I like beautiful girls.The only thing I wanted to say is, that it is hard to live up to a song you sang at 22 when you are 80.Even Sir Michael said that is hard to tour as a rock musician when you are older than seventy. By the way, Satisfaction is a good track - but I do not think that it stands out that much if one listens to all the great numbers the Stones recorded.

Date: December 11, 2023 11:31

frankotero
I'm trying not to chime in every time I hear someone complain about the girl in the Angry video. But seriously, what happened to "sex" drugs and rock and roll. I hope we don't start hearing about how the guitars or drums are too loud. Maybe Mick should tone down those offensive lyrics.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

So, every time you see an add in your local add for a cheap car and a girl on top it, in scarce clothes, you think "ha! rebellion! rock n roll! that'll teach them!", right? You think a girl in a bikini is some controversial thing that will shake the system? You think page 2 of the Sun (the UK newspaper) is a call for revolution? You think the hair-metal videos from the 80s were the summum of controversy? You think the drunk uncle at the christmas diner pinching your niece's behind is some kind of youthful act of disobedience?

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: December 11, 2023 11:40

So many tears in this thread. Cry harder please.

Date: December 11, 2023 11:51

Jimmer
Big Al

Maybe if this guy had an incredible back catalogue of some of the greatest rock n roll songs of all time, he just might find himself even a little bit proud to be singing even a few of them at age 80, or 70, or 60 or however old he is.

Exactly.

Date: December 11, 2023 12:02

Maxtil, yeah that's exactly what I think when I see a sexy lady selling used cars "rebellion" and of course related to The Stones. Doesn't everybody see it that way, lol.

Date: December 11, 2023 14:07

matxil
frankotero

So, every time you see an add in your local add for a cheap car and a girl on top it, in scarce clothes, you think "ha! rebellion! rock n roll! that'll teach them!", right? You think a girl in a bikini is some controversial thing that will shake the system? You think page 2 of the Sun (the UK newspaper) is a call for revolution? You think the hair-metal videos from the 80s were the summum of controversy? You think the drunk uncle at the christmas diner pinching your niece's behind is some kind of youthful act of disobedience?

I'd heard in interview that it was Sydney Sweeney's wish to dress as she did. So there's no need to sound like the Taliban with a sour mash hangover ...
I did like her air guitar. I can't see why Albarn has gone all Mary Whitehouse - maybe it's to speak to the stern morality of the kids these days. Not that they'd buy Blur. But at lesat they did finally do a stadium show!
In their day, 80s hair metal sure was rebellious, funny too. A serious piss take. As for the drunken uncle, just spike em! And The Sun got the tits out on Page Three, not 2.

Date: December 11, 2023 14:34

MadMetaphoricalMax
matxil
frankotero

I'd heard in interview that it was Sydney Sweeney's wish to dress as she did. So there's no need to sound like the Taliban with a sour mash hangover ...
I did like her air guitar. I can't see why Albarn has gone all Mary Whitehouse - maybe it's to speak to the stern morality of the kids these days. Not that they'd buy Blur. But at lesat they did finally do a stadium show!
In their day, 80s hair metal sure was rebellious, funny too. A serious piss take. As for the drunken uncle, just spike em! And The Sun got the tits out on Page Three, not 2.

80s hair metal was never rebellious. I apologize for not being overly familiar with the Sun. The Taliban don't drink so they don't have hangovers. Moreover, the Taliban would agree with frankotero that a girl in a car is rebellious and shocking and very rock n roll.
I don't think the video was shocking at all, just embarrassing (vergüenza ajena, as the Spanish say: ashamed for the other) and silly. About as rebellious as this sad "punk-singer" made fun off in Never Mind The Buzzcocks:
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-11 14:35 by matxil.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 11, 2023 14:40

He's right about the Stones appropriating Hackney for a day - no serious Stones links to Hackney but although he might not like it, probably most in Hackney couldn't care less either way. In any event, it's not illegal.

He's definitely talking nonsense about them "not doing anything else but be the Stones" - as we all know, all the Stones, current and ex have done loads of solo projects and Mick has done loads in film, acting and producing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-11 14:59 by EddieByword.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2046
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home