Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIP Myles Goodwyn, April Wine
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 4, 2023 02:37

The lead singer of April Wine, Myles Goodwyn has passed.

He participated in the Live At The ElMo album release event last May. I wrote this after the event:

“There was a recorded interview to start, with Myles Goodwyn of April Wine. He noted that, when the Stones’ equipment truck blew up in Montreal in ‘72 their band scrambled and got all the equipment the Stones needed to perform. Five years later, when looking for a band to open and be a decoy, they got the call. Nice karma.”

RIP Myles.

[www.cbc.ca]

Re: RIP Myles Goodwyn, April Wine
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 4, 2023 03:13

Wow, Rest In Peace Myles! One of my favourite Canadian bands, lots of hits up here. Whole World's Going Crazy is an awesome album.

April Wine actually played in my hometown several years ago at our annual fall fair, Hope Brigade Days!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 4, 2023 03:22

RIP

Date: December 4, 2023 03:28

DGA35
….
April Wine actually played in my hometown several years ago at our annual fall fair, Hope Brigade Days!

They may have played my high school. I know Triumph did.

Date: December 4, 2023 04:13

SomeTorontoGirl
DGA35
….

Nice! I know my sister said she still remembers when Heart played the high school dance here. This would have been 73ish after they just moved to Vancouver from Seattle, a couple years before Dreamboat Annie. She still remembers then playing lots of Zeppelin, which they still do to this day!

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: December 4, 2023 04:44

SomeTorontoGirl
DGA35
….

I'll bet the fabulous Goddo did as well STG.

Date: December 4, 2023 04:50

drwatts
SomeTorontoGirl
DGA35
….

No, but A Foot In Cold Water did. Lots of great bands then - April Wine near the top.

Date: December 4, 2023 04:58

Miles Goodwyn talks about Rolling Stones at El Mocambo 1977

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 4, 2023 06:22

Oh no! Sad news.

I saw April Wine once in Orillia, Ontario on my first trip to Canada back in 2011.

Glass Tiger was on the same bill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-04 06:24 by Topi.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 4, 2023 06:24

Play this one loud today.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: December 4, 2023 07:02

SomeTorontoGirl
drwatts
SomeTorontoGirl
DGA35
….

No, but A Foot In Cold Water did. Lots of great bands then - April Wine near the top.

Oh this is very sad news. A great band. I have good memories of them. I have a cd by A Foot In Coldwater, think they are still going gigs I see on YouTube. Another old great band.

Date: December 4, 2023 19:57

Myles Goodwyn's early 60's band was called Woody's Termites, which is an hilarious name.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 4, 2023 20:05

Legendary Canadian band.

Sad news. RIP Myles.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 4, 2023 20:15

Fantastic band, saw them live only once, but they made up a good portion of my "playlist" in Canada in the seventies.

RIP Myles.

Date: December 4, 2023 20:41

babyblue
SomeTorontoGirl
drwatts
SomeTorontoGirl
DGA35
….

Oh this is very sad news. A great band. I have good memories of them. I have a cd by A Foot In Coldwater, think they are still going gigs I see on YouTube. Another old great band.

Only song by Foot in Coldwater I know is Make Me Do Anything You Want. Helix does an excellent cover of it!

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: December 5, 2023 02:28

Yes read this yesterday so sad... saw them open for ZZ Top at the Pacific Coliseum in the early eighties and a couple more times over the years, such a great underrated band... Harder Faster Album was in my tape deck constatly still crank it every once & a while and will be tonight.

RIP Myles

Date: December 5, 2023 02:35

Since we’re talking Canadian bands, this slipped through the cracks. Chad Allan has died. Founding member of Chad Allan and the Expressions, which became the Guess Who, he passed in Vancouver a week ago. Damn.

[www.thestar.com]

Date: December 5, 2023 03:55

A 60's Canadian band called The Ugly Ducklings opened for The Rolling Stones in 1966 at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

In the summer and fall of 1967, the band's fifth single "Gaslight" became a Top 40 hit across Canada, peaking at No. 17 on the RPM Chart, and reaching No. 1 on CHUM 1050 in Toronto on October 2 that year, displacing The Rolling Stones' two-sided hit, "Dandelion" b/w "We Love You".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-05 03:59 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 6, 2023 11:21

I first saw April Wine when they opened for the Stones in Buffalo at Rich Stadium on July 4, 1978. (Atlanta Rhythm Section and Journey were also on the bill)

Then I saw them in April 1979 at the Aud in Buffalo when they opened for The Tubes and Squeeze.

The last time I saw them was in March 1981 at Kleinhans Music Hall in Buffalo when they opened for Nazareth.

Of course they get lots of airplay on the Canadian radio stations which we pick up clearly in Buffalo.

RIP Myles.

Date: December 6, 2023 17:45

I would recommend anyone to check out Myles Goodwyn's two recent blues influenced solo albums Myles Goodwyn And Friends Of The Blues and Myles Goodwyn – Friends Of The Blues 2, and his singer-songwriter influenced album Long Pants.

Date: December 6, 2023 20:46

The Sicilian
I first saw April Wine when they opened for the Stones in Buffalo at Rich Stadium on July 4, 1978. (Atlanta Rhythm Section and Journey were also on the bill)

Then I saw them in April 1979 at the Aud in Buffalo when they opened for The Tubes and Squeeze.

The last time I saw them was in March 1981 at Kleinhans Music Hall in Buffalo when they opened for Nazareth.

Of course they get lots of airplay on the Canadian radio stations which we pick up clearly in Buffalo.

Nazareth and April Wine, that would have been a great double bill!
RIP Myles.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2023 21:09

SomeTorontoGirl
Since we’re talking Canadian bands, this slipped through the cracks. Chad Allan has died. Founding member of Chad Allan and the Expressions, which became the Guess Who, he passed in Vancouver a week ago. Damn.

[www.thestar.com]

Wow...this is shaping up to be like most holiday seasons, a lot of bad news amidst the joy of the season.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 6, 2023 23:21

Saw them in the early 80’s at Saint Georges Hall ,Bradford in UK.A very good show.
Remember at the time thinking how high Tec they were with remote leads on their guitars.A polished act.Sign of the gypsy queen was my favourite from Nature of the beast album.

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: December 7, 2023 01:19

The song "I like to rock" is one of my favorites. I especially like the end of the song when they combine Satisfaction and day tripper along with the main riff of the song. I was in a band that when we played Satisfaction we would do the same thing at the end. Combining all 3 riffs. Always went over well.

Date: December 7, 2023 07:50

A former recording studio in Morin Heights, Quebec called Le Studio is where a tonne of music acts recorded at.

Keith Richards recorded Talk Is Cheap at Le Studio and The Police recorded 'Every Little Thing She Does is Magic'.

As well, RUSH and April Wine also recorded at Le Studio.

The April Wine videos for 'I Like To Rock', 'Before The Dawn', and 'Ladies Man' were filmed at Le Studio.

The RUSH videos for 'Tom Sawyer', 'Limelight' and 'Vital Signs' were also filmed at Le Studio.

Date: December 7, 2023 08:03

Myles Goodwyn mentioned in an interview that the April Wine song 'Slow Poke' was Keith Richards favourite song by the band.

Date: December 9, 2023 05:46

April Wine was recently inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame over a couple of months prior before Myles Goodwyn's passing.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 9, 2023 07:55

SomeTorontoGirl
Miles Goodwyn talks about Rolling Stones at El Mocambo 1977

Nice find STG. Myles seemed like a down to earth regular guy. I wasn't aware of their involvement with the Stones at El Mocambo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home