Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Thanks to Phelge, Booth & German
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 13, 2023 05:57

I would like to express my gratitude to James Phelge, Stanley Booth, and Bill German for their invaluable contributions to the world of Rolling Stones fandom. Without these three exceptional storytellers, we would have missed out on countless priceless moments that were brilliantly illuminated through their writings. Among the vast array of books about the Rolling Stones, in my opinion, these three are the most essential. They possess the unique ability to transport readers into the very heart of the action, creating a palpable sense of being in the room alongside the band. The interactions between the authors and their subjects are plentiful, offering a rich and honest portrayal of the band members' behavior, thoughts, and emotions.

Each of these books covers a significant period in the band's history, documenting three critical eras with remarkable accuracy. Through their storytelling prowess, Phelge, Booth, and German provide us with a window into the inner workings of the Rolling Stones. We gain insights into how they conduct themselves, how they think, and how they feel. By delving into these narratives, we are granted the privilege of briefly inhabiting the world that exists behind the curtain, immersing ourselves in the crazy & captivating realm of the Rolling Stones.

To (the late?) James Phelge, Stanley Booth, and Bill German, I commend you for your exceptional storytelling skills. Your dedication to documenting the Rolling Stones' journey has allowed fans like myself to experience and appreciate the band's legacy on a deeper level.

(PS- Spanish Tony's effort, for me, trails just behind these three--but still quite good)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-13 05:58 by hbwriter.

Re: Thanks to Phelge, Booth & German
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 13, 2023 07:14

agreed

also add to that robert greenfield and chet flippo

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 13, 2023 10:41

For me too the 3 best ones to be very near the real Rolling stones...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 13, 2023 11:57

ProfessorWolf
agreed

also add to that robert greenfield and chet flippo

And Barbara Charone. Her Keith bio is an essential read. I do not know if it is because she is a woman but Keith really opened up to her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-13 14:20 by dcba.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 13, 2023 12:51

I couldn't put down Bill German's "Under Their Thumb" book! It was as though I was there on the adventure with him.

As fun and sometimes deject-ing (I imagine it must have been many times), it was one hell of a roller coaster ride with the Rolling Stones!

Bill is a great guy. He's always helped me, every time I asked him for help.

His latest edition of "Under Their Thumb: How a Nice Boy from Brooklyn Got Mixed Up with the Rolling Stones (and Lived to Tell About It)"
is available in a nice hard-cover edition for a very reasonable price.

I'm putting this revised edition (more stories and photos) on my wish list for the holiday season.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 13, 2023 14:26

Agree 100%, hbwriter.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: November 13, 2023 18:21

cheers

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 13, 2023 19:46

I just finished reading Under Their Thumb yesterday. It was pretty good, it's a memoir, very focused on tours and shows with almost no discussion of albums and songwriting. I hadn't known Ahmet Ertegun fell at the Shine A Light filming.

Date: November 13, 2023 22:20

I'd add Dalton, Roy Carr, and Andy Babiuk to the must reads.
To me the Ron Wood and Ian MacLagan books were also gold.
(Although Woody's books have to be taken with a grain of salt. In his world he taught Hendrix how to play guitar, and organized Woodstock..)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 13, 2023 22:40

Palace Revolution 2000

(Although Woody's books have to be taken with a grain of salt. In his world he taught Hendrix how to play guitar, and organized Woodstock..)

Does he talk about his Miami "Woody’s On The Beach" club? In his own book Bobby Keys had some interesting theory about its creation and its funding... winking smiley

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 16, 2023 02:12

jp.M
For me too the 3 best ones to be very near the real Rolling stones...

yup!

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 16, 2023 05:24

Bill German's is my favorite. It's one of those it could happen to you kind of stories and as someone who got (nowhere near that) close to one of my all time favorites and also spent a crazy hour "on the inside" of another favorite band before deciding I just wanna be a fan, it's all highly relatable.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 17, 2023 16:23

Dan
Bill German's is my favorite. It's one of those it could happen to you kind of stories and as someone who got (nowhere near that) close to one of my all time favorites and also spent a crazy hour "on the inside" of another favorite band before deciding I just wanna be a fan, it's all highly relatable.

I couldn't agree more!

Bill German's new edition (updated with bonus text and bonus photos), but I wanted to let you know that it is only available in paperback.

I mentioned on IORR that the updated edition is available as a hardcover,
but it isn't. My apologies. The only hardcover edition is the one that came out in 2009.

Only a softcover (paperback) new edition with bonus stories and photos that came out in 2022 with all the bonus material.

Any hardcover edition you might see for sale on Amazon/eBay/etc. is most
likely a used copy of the 2009 edition (which explains why it might be cheaper
than the new paperback edition). You want the new 2022 edition.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention it, so that you (or anyone else) don't buy
the wrong one.

I'll post a photo of the new "Under Their Thumb" by Bill German.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: November 17, 2023 18:11

Agree!

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 19, 2023 00:40

Spanish Tony’s book is a Bible of information.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 19, 2023 04:03

David Dalton

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1818
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home