Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Satisfaction by Cat Power
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 8, 2023 17:21

Came across this. No idea if this has been posted previously. It could be considered a shoe gazing version or your being in a smoky bar, sipping a glass of absinthe to get buzzed, dreaming on take. It's different.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Satisfaction by Cat Power
Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: November 8, 2023 17:40

Years ago, there were two CDs given away with Uncut magazine (vol.1 and vol.2) of Stones covers and this was on it. It was definitely one of the more interesting ones.
There was also a cover of Angie by Stereophonics (who also did a good cover of Gimme Shelter on one of their B-sides) which was pretty decent.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 8, 2023 17:42

Yep, it's been posted here before (by me) but it received a tepid reaction ... You can guess, a huge huge fan here!!!

C

Date: November 8, 2023 17:50

Love Cat Power's covers.

Satisfaction was from her first covers record. It was followed by Juke Box a few years later, which was a true masterpiece, a great set of songs performed by a great great band. Cat Power's latest is another cover record. Also great but not in the same league as JB.

C

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 8, 2023 18:44

Currently seeing her tonight doing Bob Dylan's famous "Judas!" concert. I know nothing about her besides hearing the name in the past, but I can't imagine you can recreate that concert poorly.

Date: November 9, 2023 12:24

RollingFreak
Currently seeing her tonight doing Bob Dylan's famous "Judas!" concert. I know nothing about her besides hearing the name in the past, but I can't imagine you can recreate that concert poorly.

So how was it?

C

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2023 16:42

hmmm...

Well, it's not bad as a song per se. If you like the style of delivery then it's pretty good.

To call it a "cover" of Satisfaction though is quite a stretch.

The lyrics are about the only similarity, the melody is completely different and without the actual chorus what have you actually got?

This could have been done with completely different lyrics and it wouldn't bear an even passing resemblance to Satisfaction. I guess that's the point, but I'm not sure the question, "why bother?" could be answered.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 10, 2023 19:39

RollingFreak

Was that you who yelled "Judas!" a few rows behind me?

The music itself was good, but the show itself was pretty dull. Either people who like Cat Power but no clue who Dylan is or vice versa.

Odd in that on the bus ride home I didn't even think of the show once, I could have been coming home from the store instead.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 10, 2023 20:30

Dan
RollingFreak

Was that you who yelled "Judas!" a few rows behind me?

The music itself was good, but the show itself was pretty dull. Either people who like Cat Power but no clue who Dylan is or vice versa.

Odd in that on the bus ride home I didn't even think of the show once, I could have been coming home from the store instead.

It was not though I heard him. I agree with that assessment. I brought my fiancee, who's not the biggest music person but I was like "they're classic songs and her voice might be more appealing to you than Dylan's" and overall we both thought the first half was more lackluster than I expected, and the second half was much better but to her point (which I agreed) "at that point it just sounds like a tribute band and I'd rather listen to the original Dylan recording." Listen, I got super cheap tickets on Stubhub like the day or two before and it seemed like a novelty thing so I didn't have a lot invested in it, but I was hoping it would be better. I liked the idea, and I really think the band captured the spirit of that music perfectly in mimicking that sound, but overall I wouldn't really recommend.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 14, 2023 08:06

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 14, 2023 22:37

Always loved her unique voice and singing style.
The band on the Fallon video sounds great!
Cant wait to see her do Dylan at Carnegie Hall in February,

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 15, 2023 17:37

Listened to the Fallon show cover of LARS. Nice cover band working hard at trying to emulate Dylan's original, but there ain't pizzazz in the sound or groove, IMHO. Regarding Cat Power, again, IMHO, her vocalization is very affected. The whole thing reminds me of a Las Vegas lounge act.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2259
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home