Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Watford Gap: M1 services that hosted Stones and Beatles faces demolition
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 4, 2023 09:56

Re: Watford Gap: M1 services that hosted Stones and Beatles faces demolition
Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 4, 2023 14:38

It is aways sad to see historic places being taken down for "future developments".

I use to go to old places where The Rolling Stones used to play in the early 60's. As I travel for all shows across the world, there have been many places to visit. One of these is the one closest to my own home - Messehallen Sjølyst, Oslo, where they did two shows on June 24, 1965. Now it is all gone, the place itself was just an exhibition hall, but the memories of the place will always be in my mind, I hope.

Other places have been like in Melbourne Australia, where I hired a bike once and visited all the places The Rolling Stones (also Mick Jagger solo) did perform, I think most of those are still there, like the Palace Theatre 1965.

In San Jose California I was at a conference at the Conference Center in 1996, and just across the street there was the great San Jose Civic Theatre, still there, where The Rolling Stones performed in 1965.

Compass Point Bahamas is still there, been there, seen it, but not that exciting to see, still, check it out if you are nearby...

So many historic places, and a few more added this year and last year, recording studios in Bahamas and Jamaica...

So whenever you travel, make sure you check out not just the UNESCO list of world heritage sites, but also if the Stones performed or recorded in the area early 60s, you might be surprised to see some of these places are still there!

May be there is a book about these sites, it would have been a large book, or a web site...

Bjornulf

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 5, 2023 00:04

bv

Other places have been like in Melbourne Australia, where I hired a bike once and visited all the places The Rolling Stones (also Mick Jagger solo) did perform, I think most of those are still there, like the Palace Theatre 1965.

May be there is a book about these sites, it would have been a large book, or a web site...

The Melbourne venue mentioned is actually The Palais Theatre. It's a totally glorious Art Deco temple right on the waterfront, and it has recently been renovated to its original state. Always worth going to.

The book idea is a great one. Someone could "simply" (sic) start by using Google Street view and work form the list of gigs in "Rolling With The Stones"?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 5, 2023 00:21

As Roy Harper once sang - Watford Gap, Watford Gap - a plate of grease and a load of crap!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2023 00:48

Oh yeah and only a few metres
across from Palais theres Acland St ..........

Look what the councils did to that once great street ...
It had so much character ... continental vibe with records shops
restaurants... elegant ladies .. bars ..beggars .. books ..antiques
...jugglers... LD watching that crazy kid ...fire eaters
and of course all those pastry shops...

Man ya could kill time zoning out on all the colors of those cakes
They tore Aclands heart out ..... killed it ... Can hardly go there anymore

From memory there's only one of those pastry shops left
surrounded by pop up junk shops ...

Check out:

Acland Street – The Grand Lady of St Kilda. By Judith Buckrich.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 5, 2023 03:18

Still waiting for the plaque at the site of that Romford garage!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2023 03:51

Yeah Romford Rd plaque.....with water-fall

ROCKMAN

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: November 5, 2023 06:05

bv
It is aways sad to see historic places being taken down for "future developments".

I use to go to old places where The Rolling Stones used to play in the early 60's. As I travel for all shows across the world, there have been many places to visit. One of these is the one closest to my own home - Messehallen Sjølyst, Oslo, where they did two shows on June 24, 1965. Now it is all gone, the place itself was just an exhibition hall, but the memories of the place will always be in my mind, I hope.

In San Jose California I was at a conference at the Conference Center in 1996, and just across the street there was the great San Jose Civic Theatre, still there, where The Rolling Stones performed in 1965.

Compass Point Bahamas is still there, been there, seen it, but not that exciting to see, still, check it out if you are nearby...

So many historic places, and a few more added this year and last year, recording studios in Bahamas and Jamaica...

So whenever you travel, make sure you check out not just the UNESCO list of world heritage sites, but also if the Stones performed or recorded in the area early 60s, you might be surprised to see some of these places are still there!

Have you ever checked out the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium from the TAMI show? I lived there for years but finally only checked it out after I left and returned for a visit.. Also Muscle Shoals Sound? Another I came to visit and ended up staying as I live here now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2071
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home