Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Tell Me Straight - Track Talk
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 19, 2023 20:58

Tell Me Straight (Keith)

Released Friday October 20, 2023 with the Hackney Diamonds album.

The Rolling Stones with

Steve Jordan : Drums
Matt Clifford : Rhodes

Bjornulf

Re: Tell Me Straight - Track Talk
Date: October 19, 2023 21:24

Love this song.

It's only fault is it is too short...

However i hear something strange around 2 minutes and a few seconds. Seems like a production error? Or a bad bum note?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 19, 2023 22:36

Love how Keith's voice sneaks in right from the start. Could have been longer.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: October 19, 2023 23:06

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Love this song.

It's only fault is it is too short...

However i hear something strange around 2 minutes and a few seconds. Seems like a production error? Or a bad bum note?
I agree too short but awesome song, please play it live !!!

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: October 19, 2023 23:22

Love this song. Love the way Keith and Mick sings the words "in my mind". Those harmonies are legend! Nice melody, nice, clear and vulnerable voice by Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-19 23:32 by Muddyw.

Posted by: Satisfaction ()
Date: October 19, 2023 23:40

It should be longer. Ending up on a long solo....

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 20, 2023 00:33

Why Keith only one song and a short song, wasn't the contract always two Keith songs, sometimes three songs, disappointed.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 20, 2023 06:24

Great backing harmonies by Mick.

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: October 20, 2023 07:20

Masterpiece

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 20, 2023 09:40

So beautiful

Somehow reminds me of waiting in the hospital for the doctor's results...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-20 09:43 by NilsHolgersson.

Date: October 20, 2023 10:14

Nice from Keith, haunting, but needed a soulfull solo like on Locked Away.

I got the feeling this song was rushed and sounds unfinished like a demo, also the backing vocal doesn't mesh with Keith's voice.

Could have been a masterpiece, missed oppertunity from Keith, just a little too repetitive, leaves me wanting a solo album from him though where he and Steve have the time to finish tracks like this with the time and respect they deserve.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 10:29

Yeah, it's not much of a song really. The verse really does have something but the chorus is very lazy with those ascening Open-G chords at the end that we've already heard on so many tracks. But I don't think it comes down to not having had enough time. Keith has a looot of time to write finished tunes and bring them to the studio. He clearly likes the tune the way it turned out, otherwise he would have done it differently. No reason to put the blame on somebody else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-20 10:30 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:47

This could use a long outro section w/Mick Taylor on guitar. Just sayin'...

Date: October 20, 2023 11:51

MonkeyMan2000
Yeah, it's not much of a song really. The verse really does have something but the chorus is very lazy with those ascening Open-G chords at the end that we've already heard on so many tracks. But I don't think it comes down to not having had enough time. Keith has a looot of time to write finished tunes and bring them to the studio. He clearly likes the tune the way it turned out, otherwise he would have done it differently. No reason to put the blame on somebody else.

Does it sound like an outtake from Crosseyed Heart to you, i hear what you are saying but Keith does write at a slow pace, i get the feeling the new album was almost finished under a deadline and Mick and Andrew turn to Keith and go we need a track from you Keith.
We've heard Keith worked hard in the time frame of this album, maybe this track is a little rushed, and we only got one track from Keith so that goes along with my theory.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 12:00

keefriffhards
MonkeyMan2000

Does it sound like an outtake from Crosseyed Heart to you, i hear what you are saying but Keith does write at a slow pace, i get the feeling the new album was almost finished under a deadline and Mick and Andrew turn to Keith and go we need a track from you Keith.
We've heard Keith worked hard in the time frame of this album, maybe this track is a little rushed, and we only got one track from Keith so that goes along with my theory.
Yeah, but maybe it was also his artistic choice to keep this one in a rougher and more loose state. Sometimes that helps to loosen things up on a record when not every song is meticulously arranged but I don't think it worked well here.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 20, 2023 14:40

Nice song, strong singing from Keith. Odd ending though, quite abrupt.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 16:06

One of Keith’s very best. Adore this. Honest. Simple. Telling.

Rod

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 20, 2023 16:24

Knew this would be a Keith song when I first saw the title.
Classic Keith.. love it.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 20, 2023 19:41

Kinda like the verses. One of the better songs on the album

Posted by: Musicwinn ()
Date: October 20, 2023 21:33

I always love the Keith tracks on Rolling Stones albums. Great song. And it has the perfect spot on the album, before the fantastic grand final of SSOH. And then the blues song is an excellent bonus.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 20, 2023 21:52

Love Keith, but this is just "OK" in my book. Agree on the ending.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 20, 2023 21:53

keefriffhards
Why Keith only one song and a short song, wasn't the contract always two Keith songs, sometimes three songs, disappointed.

The contract?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 00:07

I haven't heard this song, or any other besides Angry, but it does surprise me how much love there is for Mick showing up on Keith's song. This isn't the first time in ages that that has happened - he sang on This Place Is Empty as well, though that song receives mixed reviews around here.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 21, 2023 00:42

I listened to my new Hackney Diamonds CD for the first time yesterday and this song got my attention straight away, I like it, like it a lot, yea. Heard Angry and Sweet Sounds Of Heaven many times before the album release they're both great songs too, yea

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:20

If played in concert, I'm hoping Mick stays on stage to sing back-up.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 21, 2023 02:01

Who plays bass?

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: October 21, 2023 09:40

Agree! Really Mick Taylor closer.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: October 21, 2023 17:43

good song but what happened to Keith´s voice ? after quitting smoking it should be strong but here it sounds rather thin, almost eunuchical
and it is mixed too far in the background

Posted by: stones77CH ()
Date: October 21, 2023 23:20

Anyone else noticed that Keith plays piano on this track? You clearly can hear his licks when you know the video documentary about his last solo album (on Netflix). There you can see him playing exactly these two licks on piano which you can hear in the song. Great work, great song!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 22, 2023 14:45

keefriffhards

It is horrible to listen all those albums prior DIRTY WORK. In some of them - all the way to BEGGARS BANQUET - Keith doesn't sing any song at all (okay, a few verses in "Salt of the Earth"). EXILE especially is a terrible case: so many songs, but only one, pretty short Keith tune. So disappointed.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-22 14:46 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home