Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: Mess It Up - Track Talk
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 20, 2023 05:56

Video suits the song… both are just ok. EASILY my least favourite song on the album (I know the Stones play many genres, but this??? It’s just a really really REALLY poor mash of Dance/Miss You/Emotional Rescue. It honestly sounds like 3 songs all cut and paste together as one).

Rod

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 20, 2023 11:35

Rockman
Geeeez maybe they got it wrong and
this was meant ta be the tame vid version of Angry ......

Heck when he got to the beach looked like
hed taken the pills and was about ta try swimmin' ta Brazil ...

Good point, as the "plot" is completely unrelated to the song maybe they commissioned this ahead of time for something else and just decided to use it for MIU. If anything it would work better for Bite My Head Off, at least the beginning !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: MonicaDe ()
Date: December 20, 2023 12:25

Video is absolutely mind-blowing! Kind of brilliant in a way.. winking smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 20, 2023 12:53

apart from the beautiful Nicholas Hough to gawk at in the video...I don't think I get it (video)...will have to watch again....but the song is amazing!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 20, 2023 13:50

The second watch revealed that they play "Angry" at background after the guy is knocked out.

Did I get it right that the dude enters wrong home or something?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-20 13:51 by Doxa.

Date: December 20, 2023 14:03

Doxa
The second watch revealed that they play "Angry" at background after the guy is knocked out.

- Doxa

I thought he got the right house, but his old flame had hooked up with another guy.

Rod

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 20, 2023 16:55

It seems he runs away for years, then runs back. His ex now has a nearly grown kid and a new guy, who promptly punches him out to the tune of "Angry."

I love the song. I don't hate the video. It's more like a short film, and I prefer that over something cliched like hot models trashing a room and setting it on fire intercut with the Stones miming. I liked the little kid in the Stones shirt, and the ending was funny. I guess I visualized a video with a lot more dancing and flash.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 20, 2023 17:29

Yeah, the song is fantastic! Video .. eh? Never been much of a vid guy anyway, I have seen most Stones videos only once anyway. Oh and the purple mix is just plain awful, ruins a great song.

Date: December 20, 2023 17:29

MonicaDe
Video is absolutely mind-blowing! Kind of brilliant in a way.. winking smiley

Is there a second video then? The one I saw was bland.

Rod

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 20, 2023 19:12

jahisnotdead

I love the song. I don't hate the video. It's more like a short film, and I prefer that over something cliched like hot models trashing a room and setting it on fire intercut with the Stones miming. I liked the little kid in the Stones shirt, and the ending was funny. I guess I visualized a video with a lot more dancing and flash.

I have similar thoughts. Not that the video made that big impression, but I like these kind of "modern' or 'artsy' videos that are like short films, as you put it. They tell a rather different story what the songs literally are talking about, nor they are that linked that thematically to the artist in question. But like their own little artefacts. Many times they are visually quite pretty, and sometimes involving pretty interesting, even ambitious angles. I am here thinking videos like "Scarlett", "Living In The Heart of Love" and "Criss Cross". Mick's "England Lost" seemingly was the forerunner there, and I guess it is Mick's artistic drive that is the driving dynamo in regard to these 'artsy' videos. We know his love for art films.

True that the Stones are the world's most filmographic rock group (and probably also most filmed), but there've been so many videos based on the band posing and mimicking, sometimes even acting something, so that that starts to be a kind of cliche. We know how they look and pose like, Mick moving like Jagger, etc. so no need to have that aspect always emphasized. Just let the music do the talking. It is powerful in its own terms. For the visual part, use imagination and tell something else.

Funnily, "Angry" was something totally different: almost shamelessly and caricature-like using the old cliches - showing the world's coolest looking band posing in their full youth glory and the hot actress showing her goodies.

And if one wants to see how they look and move like today, well, they just a while ago released a video of them performing live one of their new songs.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-20 19:16 by Doxa.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: December 20, 2023 19:27

It actually would have been funny if the three of them acted in the video or if they showed an overblown serious fight between Mick and Keith in a funny way!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 21, 2023 09:40

Nice video, with some twists. It gives an extra meaning to the song.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: December 21, 2023 10:44

It's definitely not what I was expecting but the twist ending is good.

The snippet of "Angry" reminds me of "Off The Hook" being used at the end of the "She Was Hot" video. And it's always good to be reminded of "She Was Hot".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 22, 2023 01:44

howlingmad
It's definitely not what I was expecting but the twist ending is good.

The snippet of "Angry" reminds me of "Off The Hook" being used at the end of the "She Was Hot" video. And it's always good to be reminded of "She Was Hot".

Interesting fact, it was about a 20 year gap (19?) between She Was Hot, and Off The Hook.

It's a 40 year gap between She Was Hot, and Angry.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 22, 2023 02:03

I got a M. Night vibe from the video.....

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 22, 2023 10:46

This track is way ahead of Miss you and Dance,and they were great grooves.
Love the video too.
Really hope they play this live,a kind of Love train treatment on stage.
If you don't love this track you need to read adjust your zest for life settings.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 22, 2023 13:22

stargroover
Love the video too.
If you don't love this track you need to read adjust your zest for life settings.

love the exuberance...but no....not way ahead of either.

Date: December 22, 2023 14:45

stargroover
Love the video too.

Please… lads, do NOT play this in Vegas or Seattle, the 2 shows I am flying from PERTH to see. Flying literally half way around the world for 2 shows should show my love of The Stones and my “zest for life”, but thanks for the advice, yet this is still easily the worst “song” on the album.

Rod

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 22, 2023 15:18

I'd listen to it just for the delicious crunchy tone of those big chords in the verses.

Date: December 22, 2023 16:59

Should be a great trip there for you Rod,enjoy!
A few years back I did the Enmore and Sydney shows in a week from the UK.
Hope they once again do some shows down under …..a strong chance considering Mick’s relatives out there.

Posted by: esqcjh ()
Date: December 22, 2023 17:46

I like the song and find myself playing it and the remix frequently.

The video reminds me of Forrest Gump, though he is pretty lazy, walking across the country until he finally gets motivated to run.

Date: December 22, 2023 20:28

This track got approval from the 11 year old bossy niece of mine so I'll say it's a good track.

Catchy lyrics to say the least. Good riff to start.

I don't think this one will make the set list.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2023 20:56

The video reminds me of Forrest Gump

When he gets the beach it was more like a scene from Castaway ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 22, 2023 22:45

Still love the song and even the remix. Mess It Up was a favourite from initial listening, still sounds great now. Deliciously groovy.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 22, 2023 22:55

I'm with you, IrelandCalling4!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 23, 2023 02:46

I think the video is a mess.

The bit where "he" is dancing around (for no real obvious reason) reminded me of the thoroughly pointless dancing around done by Sydney Sweeney that ruins the "Angry" video.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 23, 2023 04:09

stargroover
Should be a great trip there for you Rod,enjoy!
A few years back I did the Enmore and Sydney shows in a week from the UK.
Hope they once again do some shows down under …..a strong chance considering Mick’s relatives out there.

I was at Enmore. Right bum cheek on stage for the whole show. Reviewed here on IORR in fact!

Rod

Date: December 23, 2023 05:03

I will check out your review there Rod.I was in the balcony.A surprise opening of Midnight Rambler if my memory serves me correct.I also did a review of that show.Cheers!

Date: December 23, 2023 11:26

stargroover
I will check out your review there Rod.I was in the balcony.A surprise opening of Midnight Rambler if my memory serves me correct.I also did a review of that show.Cheers!

Yep, started with Rambler. No JJF. I could easily read Charlie’s Perspex set list from where I sat (“on stage”!)

Rod

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 23, 2023 16:08

bitusa2012
Doxa

- Doxa

I thought he got the right house, but his old flame had hooked up with another guy.

He went to the right place baby at the wrong time. It's kinda sad.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home