Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 30, 2023 18:16

georgelicks
UK Chart Update, Week 10, from Music Week:

Still No.1 on physical consumption, Hackney Diamonds falls 1-6 on the overall chart for The Rolling Stones. Overall consumption of 6,470 units of the set includes 4,566 CDs, 1,134 vinyl albums, 22 blu-rays, 354 digital downloads and 394 sales-equivalent streams)."

Hi georgelicks, how are Hackney Diamonds sales in the US vs the UK? (I don't mean "total" sales (given that there are 5x as many people in the US!), but relative sales success (adjusted for population difference)?

Drew

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: December 30, 2023 18:28

LeonidP
Bastion
Most people on this site could watch each member of the band be replaced one by one and still argue it's the Rolling Stones

Sweet -- didn't know the criteria, so we judge the albums not by sound/songs but by how many original band members are present. Glad we have some that know-it-all, to let the rest of us know what we should like, it's too confusing otherwise!

Quite literally not what I said but ok.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 30, 2023 18:49

Doxa
jp.M
Doxa
georgelicks
Hackney Diamonds was #9 Worldwide last week with over 78.000 units, very close to the million mark:

[www.mediatraffic.de]

Great success indeed, but, for comparison, BLUE&LONESOME sold 1.1 million copies worldwide just in three weeks. Since the chartings are pretty similar (HACKNEY DIAMONDS doing even tiny better), I guess it just reflects the change of over-all sales in 7 years.

- Doxa

...it’s not finished....!

No, it's not, and most likely the heyday of HACKNEY DIAMONDS will continue, since there is a documentary, touring, and who knows what else, coming to promote the album. They seemingly have a long term plan to keep the album hot. It most likely will remain in charts longer than BLUE&LONESOME did at the time. But still the fact remains that the blues album managed to sell more copies in three weeks than the new one in nine weeks (although the suitable release date to milk out the Christmas market surely had a role there). BLUE&LONESOME has sold something like 2.5 million copies, so there is a long way to go to get there.

- Doxa

When BLUE AND LONESOME came out I noticed a lot of old people talking about it.

Have only noticed a few old people talking about HACKNEY DIAMONDS.

I don't think it's hype, but rather, interest.

Posted by: FeelslikeaGhost ()
Date: December 30, 2023 19:08

I follow the Coachella subreddit and half of the wishlists I see have the Stones on them now. I think this album has done a lot for younger audiences and their interest in the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-30 19:08 by FeelslikeaGhost.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 30, 2023 20:57

Bastion
LeonidP
Bastion
Most people on this site could watch each member of the band be replaced one by one and still argue it's the Rolling Stones

Sweet -- didn't know the criteria, so we judge the albums not by sound/songs but by how many original band members are present. Glad we have some that know-it-all, to let the rest of us know what we should like, it's too confusing otherwise!

But quite literally what you implied, but ok. I still appreciate those experts that are willing to come down to our level and educate us.

Date: December 30, 2023 21:30

LeonidP
Bastion
LeonidP
Bastion

But quite literally what you implied, but ok. I still appreciate those experts that are willing to come down to our level and educate us.

Uh, people, who's fighting, what for?
Who's fighting, and what for?
Brothers and sisters, come on now.
That means everybody just cool out.

Drew

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 31, 2023 01:41

Big Al
georgelicks
Italy no idea, US about 220-230k so far, #117 on this week's Billboard 200 after 9 weeks on the chart.

Is this one of the Stones’ poorest performances on the Billboard 200?

For Studio albums it has the fewest weeks on the chart so far, but it's still going:

Hackney Diamonds: #3, 9 weeks on Top 200
Blue And Lonesome: #4, 11 weeks on Top 200
A Bigger Bang: #3, 19 weeks on Top 200

Including all the 61 charting albums of the Stones in the US, HD ranks at No. 46 with 9 weeks surpassing the 8 weeks of No Security in 1998-99.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 31, 2023 01:48

drewmaster
georgelicks
UK Chart Update, Week 10, from Music Week:

Still No.1 on physical consumption, Hackney Diamonds falls 1-6 on the overall chart for The Rolling Stones. Overall consumption of 6,470 units of the set includes 4,566 CDs, 1,134 vinyl albums, 22 blu-rays, 354 digital downloads and 394 sales-equivalent streams)."

Hi georgelicks, how are Hackney Diamonds sales in the US vs the UK? (I don't mean "total" sales (given that there are 5x as many people in the US!), but relative sales success (adjusted for population difference)?

Drew

The album is much more successful in the UK compared to the US, both in sales and chart performance:

UK: 1-3-4-8-4-3-5-6-1-6 (10 weeks - 162,000 sales)
US: 3-13-33-83-147-124-136-115-117 (9 weeks - 230,000 sales)

Compared in population, sales in the United Kingdom would be the equivalent of 800,000 in the United States so far.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 31, 2023 02:15

The US figures are not very surprising despite B&L sales and a great concert
history. We live in the United Mistakes of Amnesia, and that's a shame.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 31, 2023 02:53

FeelslikeaGhost
I follow the Coachella subreddit and half of the wishlists I see have the Stones on them now. I think this album has done a lot for younger audiences and their interest in the band.

Then they should freaking buy the album already...or stream it or do whatever the hell it is they do!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: December 31, 2023 15:25

treaclefingers
FeelslikeaGhost

Then they should freaking buy the album already...or stream it or do whatever the hell it is they do!

Old man yells at cloud.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 31, 2023 15:45

Bastion
treaclefingers
FeelslikeaGhost

Old man yells at cloud.

GET OFF MY LAWN...err...CLOUD!

Date: December 31, 2023 18:26

treaclefingers
Bastion
treaclefingers
FeelslikeaGhost

Old man yells at cloud.

GET OFF MY LAWN...err...CLOUD!

Like pulling an EV out with a Ford pickup truck.

Date: December 31, 2023 23:43

MKjan

I don't think the title helps. Most Americans (myself included) haven't heard of Hackney. Not to mention Fulham.

Drew

Date: January 1, 2024 00:40

drewmaster
MKjan

I don't think the title helps. Most Americans (myself included) haven't heard of Hackney. Not to mention Fulham.

Drew

The title probably doesn't help, but inquiring minds would learn. Others are still looking to place Washington DC on a map.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 1, 2024 02:08

One of the most difficult parts of making the album was choosing a title. “We’d been throwing out a lot of ideas, but no one could agree on anything,” Jagger says, tension building in his voice. “I was at the end of my tether.” Then a friend of his, painter and sculptor Marc Quinn, showed him photos of what he called “Hackney diamonds.” “Hackney’s a part of London, so ‘Hackney diamonds’ is when you go out Saturday night, and you feel rough and ready to destroy things,” Jagger says. “You smash the windshield of a car, and it all splinters out and the glass falls on the ground, and you call that ‘Hackney diamonds.’ I sent it ’round to Ronnie and Keith, and Keith said, ‘Yeah, go for it.’ I said, ‘Thank God for that. We’ve got one.'” The relief still echoes in his voice.

Yeah kinda wacky it was such a problem
Surely they'd had a working title floating around ......

Maybe they shoulda went with Watts Up Doc? .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 1, 2024 03:00

Just a stupid album title. They might as well have called it Fish and Chips or Potted Herring. It would have made just as much sense.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 1, 2024 03:46

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 1, 2024 10:36

Stoneage
Just a stupid album title. They might as well have called it Fish and Chips or Potted Herring. It would have made just as much sense.

Potted Herring has no connection with London, though. Using your logic, Pie and Mash would’ve been the most ideal title.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: January 1, 2024 12:26

I like the title, or I've gotten used to it. I like the artwork, but I sure wish someone hadn't pointed out that there are two right hands. That does bug me!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 1, 2024 12:29

MKjan
drewmaster
MKjan

Drew

The title probably doesn't help, but inquiring minds would learn. Others are still looking to place Washington DC on a map.

Or, perhaps, wondering what ‘DC’ stands for!

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: January 1, 2024 12:30

I wish they were bold enough to do the whole album in concert. It will never happen, but it should. I'd buy the hell out of that album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-01 12:34 by jahisnotdead.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 1, 2024 13:34

Stoneage

Red Herring smiling smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 1, 2024 16:09

I know Mick and Charlie were the creative forces ( behind stage design at least), signing off on them.

I guess Mick signed off on the HD album cover/s. What was he thinking in having a gatefold for the vinyl with ZIP actually IN the inner sleeves? A completely wasted opportunity. ROLLING STONES? We KNOW who the album is from…we didn’t need to open it up to see.. just a silly artistic move.

Rod

Date: January 1, 2024 16:27

Apparently naming albums is a life threatening issue.

A tropical downpour had come in one night and Richards was dashing through it to get some
cigarettes. He heard a sound and, at first, thought it was being made by a toad. Let Keith take
the story from here, “I looked and at the other end of this sewer pipe on the walkway was a
sodden little kitty. Bit my hand. I knew there were loads of cats down there. Oh, you come from
down the pipe, where your mother lives? So, I shoved him back in, and I turned around and he
shot back up. He was not welcome in other words. I tried it again. I said, come on, you know
your own kid, and he shot back out again. And he was looking at me, this little runt. And I said,
@#$%& it, all right, come on. Put him in my pocket and I rushed home, by now I am drowning like a
rat… We called him Voodoo because we were in Barbados and his survival was against the odds Voodoo
luck and charm…So the cat became Voodoo and the terrace became Voodoo’s
Lounge—I put up signs around the perimeter.” The kitten moved into “Doc’s Office” and made itself at home.
Someone altered Richards’ sign to say, “Doc’s Office + Voodoo Lounge.”

After returning from Barbados, Richards
moved into the granny flat Ron Wood had
built for his mother and taped his sign in the
window. Virgin Records needed the album
title quickly. Richards said, “The record
company's screaming at us, we need a title,
an angle, artwork
. Then, suddenly, Mick
turns around and says, your sign.” Mick told
them it was Voodoo Lounge because he was
looking at Keith’s sign. Richards caps the
story off with, “I'm the doc. It's like a ritual, a
fetish... We agonized over (the title). And it
was staring us in the face. Finally, it was Mick
who said, What about Voodoo Lounge? Why
not? Kind of like Beggars Banquet. Right
number of syllables. I was really pissed with
myself, though, after painting the sign and
all. I'm usually the one with the cheap ideas,
not Mick. His are usually real expensive.”

[iorr.org]

BRIDGES

After the Voodoo Lounge Tour and Stripped projects of 1994/1995, the Stones took a little time
off. By autumn 1996 the Stones had been off the road for a year and Keith Richards and Ronnie
Wood were getting itchy to get back on the road. In October the Stones met in New York City to
discuss their plans. Jagger thought it was too soon to make a record but Richards and Wood
insisted. They were concerned that the five years between Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge
was too long. Jagger said, “Everyone said, we should do an album and tour. And I said, well,
isn't it a bit soon to do an album and tour? But I thought, well, we might as well get on with it
sooner rather than later. You can just wait and wait and wait, and then it gets more difficult to
do.” Jagger knew a long absence would make it hard to sustain the Stones market position, so
he gave in. By Nov 21, 1996 they were working on new songs for a project with the working title
Blessed Poison. Just before Christmas a tour was announced.

The Stones approached Mark Fisher
about a year before their tour was to
begin. Their early ideas for the tour’s
theme were based on the seven
deadly sins... final designs shifted the frame of
reference to more classical notions of
opulence, like Babylon, a place
synonymous with luxury and vice. The tour would ultimately feature a Mark Fisher creation that
evoked an ancient lost City in the desert. The set has been described as a marvel of elegant
design and technology, a science-fiction Babylon, so tall that the Federal Aviation
Administration required that it have warning lights.

Jagger takes up the story, “The tour that was going to follow Voodoo
Lounge, we got to a point where we still hadn’t settled on any kind of theme and I was screaming and banging my head trying to find one.
I had been going on about bridges for a while I have always been obsessed with bridges and I was particularly interested in the beautiful bridges that Santiago Callatrava was building in Seville and elsewhere.”

When the Stones were designing the stage for the Voodoo Lounge tour Jagger told Fisher, ”I
want to have this bridge, we’ll have the stage there and then we can have a bridge to here,
here and here.” At the time, Fisher called this a useless idea. So, when this new tour came
around and they found themselves short of an idea, Fisher threw Jagger’s idea back at him.
Fisher said “OK, if you give me one million dollars now, I can make a bridge that will emerge
from the stage and land on the B stage.” Jagger said, “You’ve got it but it’s got to be ready by
September 1.”

They still did not have a title for the tour or the album
until a model of the bridge had been built. Jagger asked
his friend, Tom Stoppard, a British playwright and
screenwriter, to come and look at it so they could get
an opinion from someone outside the rock world.
Jagger said, “Tom started to talk about Babylon and
came up with a number of incredibly long titles. I
shortened one and ended up with the Bridges to
Babylon title for the tour and the album.

[iorr.org]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 1, 2024 19:02

In general I am not very fond of people talking and talking on and on, but this guy seems a nice guy and somehow I like how he talks. I don't agree with everything he says (for some reason he likes Get Close), but he makes good points, without being nasty but with some sincerity. I apologize if this has been posted before:
[www.youtube.com]

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 1, 2024 19:25

The thing with these youtube reviewers is that they don't use editing. Listening to an unknown person for 45 minutes is too demanding.
Teenagers on tiktok are way more professional and media savvy than these middle aged men. 10 minutes, maximum 15 is all you need.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 1, 2024 20:31

matxil
In general I am not very fond of people talking and talking on and on, but this guy seems a nice guy and somehow I like how he talks. I don't agree with everything he says (for some reason he likes Get Close), but he makes good points, without being nasty but with some sincerity. I apologize if this has been posted before:
[www.youtube.com]

what's good about that? I dont mean the the critical view of the album or the band, I'll take that, I'll do it myself if I think of some song in the album, I am talking that 15 minutes in the video he has talk 10 about HIMSELF through the comments directed to HIM.
and then there's the stray cat blues moralistic rant which is unbearable

Date: January 1, 2024 21:02

Big Al
MKjan
drewmaster
MKjan

Drew

Or, perhaps, wondering what ‘DC’ stands for!

I hear ya.smiling smiley

Date: January 1, 2024 22:42

maumau
matxil
[www.youtube.com]

what's good about that? I dont mean the the critical view of the album or the band, I'll take that, I'll do it myself if I think of some song in the album, I am talking that 15 minutes in the video he has talk 10 about HIMSELF through the comments directed to HIM.
and then there's the stray cat blues moralistic rant which is unbearable

Yikes.

Couldn't listen to much. Written reviews are a bit more accessible. Regardless if his points are valid, and I'm sure they are to someone somewhere, he's going off about something in the late 1960s.

To which there's this that sums anything Mick wrote/sang:

God knows what I'm on about on that song. It's such a mishmash. All the nasty subjects in one go... I never would write that song now. I would probably censor myself. I'd think, Oh God, I can't. I've got to stop. I can't just write raw like that.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

[timeisonourside.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home