Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6263646566676869707172...LastNext
Current Page: 67 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: December 28, 2023 17:10

They can replace Mick with Axl Rose and Keith with Izzy Stradlin, as long as they have Ronnie it's still the Rolling Stones. grinning smiley

Seriously though, this album is fantastic and the best album as a whole since Some Girls to me.

Maybe it's a sign that rock n roll isn't dead and gone and there is still life in those rehashed beats, chord progressions and melodies when done really well.

The magic of a great song seems so obvious but it's impossible to easily keep churning them out for most artists without sounding contrived.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 28, 2023 19:25

Drew

Date: December 28, 2023 21:09

A wa**ker with a foghorn gob and an eminently punchable face talks sh*t for half an hour. Gee, thanks for posting.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 28, 2023 23:19

MadMetaphoricalMax
A wa**ker with a foghorn gob and an eminently punchable face talks sh*t for half an hour. Gee, thanks for posting.

I thought he was hilarious for a bit but he really didn't get to any point by about the 13 minute mark so it got boring and I left. What were the two songs he actually liked?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 28, 2023 23:28

I don't mind the criticism but this guy is too much into himself. He should have edited himself down to 5 minutes to make the point. Which wasn't that convincing anyway...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 29, 2023 00:25

drewmaster

Drew

Well..he’s spot on.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 29, 2023 00:30

Hackney Diamonds was #9 Worldwide last week with over 78.000 units, very close to the million mark:

[www.mediatraffic.de]

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 29, 2023 00:48

Georgelicks, how many copies has it sold in Italy and US?!

Date: December 29, 2023 02:29

Italy no idea, US about 220-230k so far, #117 on this week's Billboard 200 after 9 weeks on the chart.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 29, 2023 04:50

Re that review. I DO agree that Live by the Sword, my favourite track, along with Depending on You, IS the most Stones-sounding song on the record, and it IS because of the, for want of a better word, FLAT guitars. They’re not pumped up and “processed” like on every other track, where they (the guitars) JUMP OUT at you, NOT sounding like typical Stones guitars. And I do love typical Stones sounding guitars.

But I don’t agree with much else he said. The song’s are fantastic, as are the performances. It’s a great album, that for The Stones, sounds different.

Rod

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 29, 2023 10:23

It's just for the most part "over-produced" ...just like the majority of commercially orientated releases these day.

I don't mean over-produced as a criticism of the producer in terms of Andrew Watt's evident and excellent contribution to the arrangements and spirit of the album.

It's just overengineered and processed... which I'm by now, sadly, resigned to as being par for the course.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 29, 2023 12:08

drewmaster

Drew

He talks too much, so I had to skip some of it. He has a point in saying that it's a pop-album which lacks the classic Stones groove, but - like most people on YouTube - he thinks his own voice is more interesting than it is.
He could try to like the album for what it is, but he chooses not to. Which is fair enough. I like his hatred for Close To Me.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 29, 2023 12:16

imagine being trapped in a cave with that guy ..... phew ..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 29, 2023 15:11

georgelicks
Italy no idea, US about 220-230k so far, #117 on this week's Billboard 200 after 9 weeks on the chart.

Is this one of the Stones’ poorest performances on the Billboard 200?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 29, 2023 15:43

treaclefingers
MadMetaphoricalMax

I thought he was hilarious for a bit but he really didn't get to any point by about the 13 minute mark so it got boring and I left. What were the two songs he actually liked?

Live By The Sword and Tell Me Straight.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 29, 2023 15:48

georgelicks
Hackney Diamonds was #9 Worldwide last week with over 78.000 units, very close to the million mark:

[www.mediatraffic.de]

Great success indeed, but, for comparison, BLUE&LONESOME sold 1.1 million copies worldwide just in three weeks. Since the chartings are pretty similar (HACKNEY DIAMONDS doing even tiny better), I guess it just reflects the change of over-all sales in 7 years.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-29 15:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 29, 2023 15:57

MadMetaphoricalMax

A late contender for post of the year smileys with beer

Date: December 29, 2023 16:02

MisterDDDD
MadMetaphoricalMax

A late contender for post of the year smileys with beer

Indeed (although I do have a few contenders of my own)! >grinning smiley<smileys with beer

But not even that inspired me enough to watch the content...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-29 16:03 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 29, 2023 16:29

Big Al
treaclefingers
MadMetaphoricalMax

Live By The Sword and Tell Me Straight.

Thanks. I love every song on the album, ironically, these two are for me the lesser favourites.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 29, 2023 17:03

Doxa
georgelicks

[www.mediatraffic.de]

Great success indeed, but, for comparison, BLUE&LONESOME sold 1.1 million copies worldwide just in three weeks. Since the chartings are pretty similar (HACKNEY DIAMONDS doing even tiny better), I guess it just reflects the change of over-all sales in 7 years.

- Doxa

...it’s not finished....!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 29, 2023 18:44

Bastion
Most people on this site could watch each member of the band be replaced one by one and still argue it's the Rolling Stones

Sweet -- didn't know the criteria, so we judge the albums not by sound/songs but by how many original band members are present. Glad we have some that know-it-all, to let the rest of us know what we should like, it's too confusing otherwise!

Date: December 29, 2023 18:44

jp.M
Doxa
georgelicks

[www.mediatraffic.de]

- Doxa

...it’s not finished....!

No, it's not, and most likely the heyday of HACKNEY DIAMONDS will continue, since there is a documentary, touring, and who knows what else, coming to promote the album. They seemingly have a long term plan to keep the album hot. It most likely will remain in charts longer than BLUE&LONESOME did at the time. But still the fact remains that the blues album managed to sell more copies in three weeks than the new one in nine weeks (although the suitable release date to milk out the Christmas market surely had a role there). BLUE&LONESOME has sold something like 2.5 million copies, so there is a long way to go to get there.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-29 18:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: December 29, 2023 21:28

2nd best selling vinyl album in the uk for 2023. So actually biggest selling vinyl new release given Taylor’s 1989 is no 1 -

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: December 29, 2023 23:36

yorkshirestone
2nd best selling vinyl album in the uk for 2023. So actually biggest selling vinyl new release given Taylor’s 1989 is no 1 -

[www.independent.co.uk]

smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 30, 2023 01:12

Go Hack
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Date: December 30, 2023 01:22

UK Chart Update, Week 10, from Music Week:

"More than 11 years after it first topped the chart and exactly a year after it last reached the summit, Michael Bublé’s modern evergreen Christmas takes advantage of a weak market to return to pole position.

Its consumption up 43.01% week-on-week to 22,020 units (719 CDs, 236 vinyl albums, 422 digital downloads, 20,642 sales-equivalent streams), it has now spent longer at No.1 – six weeks – than the rest of Bublé’s canon combined. It has had higher consumption on 40 previous occasions in its 638-week career but hasn’t had a higher total since the last week of 2019, 209 weeks ago.

It easily outsells runner-up 1989 (Taylor’s Version), which bounces 3-2 for Taylor Swift despite its consumption falling 28.33% week-on-week to 9,003 units.

Still No.1 on physical consumption, Hackney Diamonds falls 1-6 on the overall chart for The Rolling Stones. Overall consumption of 6,470 units of the set includes 4,566 CDs, 1,134 vinyl albums, 22 blu-rays, 354 digital downloads and 394 sales-equivalent streams)."

01 22,020 Michael Bublé - Christmas [719 CDs, 236 vinyl, 422 downloads, 20,642 streaming]
02 9,003 Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version) [2023 sales: 299,479]
03 6,758 The Weeknd - The Highlights [total: 830,983, 2023 sales: 391,269]
04 6,647 Elton John - Diamonds
05 6,470 ABBA - Gold: Greatest Hits
06 6,470 The Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds [4,566 CDs, 1,134 vinyl, 22 blu-rays, 354 downloads, 394 streaming, 2023 sales: 162,776]
07 5,870 Olivia Rodrigo - GUTS
08 5,814 Noah Kahan - Stick Season
09 5,760 Eminem - Curtain Call: The Hits
10 5,304 Taylor Swift - Midnights [2023 sales: 339,923]

Date: December 30, 2023 13:21

Been listening to the album now for - what? - ten weeks, and still hard to believe how great it is. If one plays just one track (any of them), or the whole lot in order, such a treatise every time. And if not playing, I hear different tracks ringing in my mind.

It could be that I haven't enjoyed listening to a new Stones album this much since STEEL WHEELS. Still hard to judge its 'true' value, but that says a lot.

Happy times in Stonesworld.

- Doxa

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: December 30, 2023 13:39

Redhotcarpet
Well..he’s spot on.

You actually had patience to listen to that drivel for half an hour ?

Posted by: TrulyMicks1 ()
Date: December 30, 2023 14:37

I just love this album!! So many great songs. It’s probably my favorite since Tattoo You. I love how it has all the classic Stone’s sounds yet sounds so fresh. Love the guitars and Mick’s voice sounds great. It’s really a masterpiece imo

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: December 30, 2023 17:18

Man, this album really has legs (IMO).. The more I listen to it the more I love it even tho it’s so different from the lineup and songs that first hooked me.. Def my fav since Tattoo You and a couple of the Undercover tunes

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6263646566676869707172...LastNext
Current Page: 67 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2121
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home